Shrines at Green church blessed
|Photos courtesy of Queen of Heaven Catholic Church|
The blessings were conducted by Diocese of Cleveland Bishop Richard Lennon, with assistance by server Floyd Appleman, according to church officials.
The first blessing was at the Marian shrine located beside the Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration Chapel and recently developed by Zachary Hillman. Church officials said Hillman, son of parishioners W. Phillip and Carolyn Hillman, was assisted by 35 others in Boy Scout Troop No. 334 in landscaping the shrine area. The statue of Mary was relocated to this area from the Marian Rosary Garden. Shown at top right are Lennon, at left, and Queen of Heaven Pastor the Rev. David Durkee blessing the garden as parishioners watch.
The second blessing was for a new stone grotto in the Marian Rosary Garden. Church officials state the grotto’s new statue of Mary was donated by Scott and Melissa Warner and family members, in memory of their son, Heath Warner, who died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces Nov. 22, 2006. The stone grotto was donated by Jane McCormick and family members, in memory of her husband, Ralph, and son, David, who died in 2013 and 2012, respectively. Shown at bottom right, from left, are Durkee, Lennon and Appleman during the grotto’s blessing.
The flat walking stones that surround the Marian Garden are in the form of a rosary. A Walkway of the Saints leads to the grotto. The walkway was designed as an Eagle Scout project by Boy Scout Matthew Buser Jr. in March 2006, according to church officials. The Marian Rosary Garden was the Gold Award project of Girl Scout Alicia Eisenbrei in October 2003 and included the rosary walking stones and landscaping, church officials added.
More Community News
- Akron to raise rental registration fee
- Jolly fun had at Christmas Jingle
- Residents seek to form watershed conservancy
- Grant puts road widening closer to reality
- Local Boy Scouts go on summer ‘high adventure trek’
- West Side News & Notes
- Millennium Fund awards grants
- Blood donation opportunities
- Tucker named new Akron fire chief
- CSO project underway this week
- Campaign provides light for end-of-life patients, remembers those who have died
- Free fire alarms, installation available from Red Cross
- County Council looking at cost of medicine at jail
- Burton D. Morgan Foundation grants awarded
- Fairlawn Holiday Lighting Contest to be judged Dec. 13
- Bath trustees considering proposal for observatory
- Richfield looking to bring back winter festival
- Richfield Village receives covenant not to sue under Ohio EPA Voluntary Action Program
- Granger trustees discuss cemetery, zoning fees
- Scout siblings earn awards
Calendar of Events
- “Finding Dory” - 12/8/2016
- Felted Beaded Necklace - 12/8/2016
- University of Akron Chamber Orchestra - 12/8/2016
- Handmade Gifts for the Holidays: ages 3-6 - 12/8/2016
- Baby Play - 12/8/2016