Free grief classes
COPLEY — The Akron General Hospice of Visiting Nurse Service (VNS) will offer special free support groups this holiday season to help adults and children cope with holiday grief. All of the following classes will meet at the Hospice of VNS Care Center, 3358 Ridgewood Road:
- “Kids and Holiday Grief” will be offered Nov. 8 and Dec. 13 from 5 to 7 p.m. Support will be provided for children ages 5-11 who have experienced a significant loss. A corresponding informational group is offered for parents/caregivers.
- “Reducing Holiday Stress” will be offered Nov. 13 from 2 to 3:30 p.m. or 6 to 7:30 p.m. Participants will discuss stress-related concerns during the holiday season; learn how to balance the reality of grief along with the expectations of the holidays; and hear about options for coping.
- “Grief, Loss and Holiday Pain” will be offered Dec. 11 from 2 to 3:30 p.m. or 6 to 7:30 p.m. This session will provide tips to help participants through the season. It also will offer tips for family and friends when dealing with a bereaved person.
- “After the Holidays… Now What?” will be offered Jan. 8 from 2 to 3:30 p.m. or 6 to 7:30 p.m. This group will focus on overcoming the low feelings sometimes experienced after major holidays and other special days.
Call to reserve a place. To register or for more information, call 330-668-4662 or 800-335-1455, ext. 4662.
If a church or business would like a presentation of “Reducing Holiday Stress” at its location, call the numbers above.
More Community News
- Kayaks take plunge in Falls
- Council OKs Akron residential tax plan
- E-poll books may update voting process in county
- Inside|Out art spreads to Copley, West Akron
- Breaux promotes positive attitude on bench
- West Side News & Notes
- Love Akron Network Awards Breakfast focusing on civility
- Summit County officials train for emergencies
- Norton bans medical marijuana operations in city
- Humane Society has new Mobile Adoption Center
- Falls receives grant for preserve project
- Falls breaks ground for downtown revitalization
- City offering electronics recycling
- Falls cleanup May 1-12
- Trustees holding public hearings on fee
- Richfield approves resolutions on autism, intolerance
- Granger officials hear update on proposed conservancy district
- Kiwanis creates baskets for women’s shelter
- MCBDD suggests early detection key for autism
- Touch-A-Truck event offering close-up view
- Council hears schoolhouse recommendation
- Springfield dedicates new playground, trail
- Coventry BOE seeking fiscal emergency release
- New Franklin Council absences delay adoption of legislation
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- University of Akron Choral Concert - 4/28/2017
- Astronomy Club of Akron: Daniel Rothstein on The Four Red Shifts - 4/28/2017
- Bluebell Valley Hike - 4/28/2017
- Rape Crisis Center of Medina & Summit Counties Walk of Heroes - 4/28/2017
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 4/29/2017