Springfield Lake to reflect holiday spirit
SPRINGFIELD — The lakefront along Canfield Road will dazzle with even more lights and color this holiday season, thanks to the purchase of 16 holiday light displays.
The Springfield Board of Trustees approved the expenditure of $8,100 at its Oct. 24 meeting to purchase the previously used displays from a private individual, Dr. James Violet.
According to Parks Director Doug Foltz, the display is intended to continue to encourage residents to make use of the lakefront area, and will be set up before the township’s holiday tree lighting ceremony, tentatively scheduled for Dec. 6 or 7.
Foltz said the animated Holiday Lights on the Lake display will feature items such as a world globe, a merry-go-round, a Santa and a sleigh with elves. All the displays may not be set up this year, he added.
“The community will be excited to see these lights,” said Foltz. “They will be able to drive through the area and enjoy it with their families. We hope to make this the start of more lighting displays, and we are looking for corporate sponsors to help with future displays.”
Businesses wishing to sponsor displays may contact Foltz at 330-734-4121.
In other business at the meeting, trustees:
- approved the purchase of equipment for a new police cruiser from Fallsway Equipment Co. for a total not to exceed $10,737; and
- declared two properties a nuisance and initiated abatement, including 1020 Tritt Ave. due to trash, debris and mowing, and 1085 Old Home Road for its structure. Trustee Dean Young said notices of the violations had been sent to property owners. Property owners did not attend the meeting.
Also at the meeting, Trustee Deborah Davis reported the township collected 785 tons of paper and cardboard in its recycle bin, which netted $196 for the Parks Board.
During the public comment portion of the meeting, Jerry Glinsky suggested township officials recognize two residents for their accomplishments.
Glinsky said the street sign Art Arfons Way, located off Canfield Road, could be expanded to include a display with a picture of Arfons’ car and a brief biography. According to a display about Arfons outside the Town Hall meeting room, he was the world land speed record holder three times from 1964 to 1965 with his Green Monster series piston engine and jet engine dragsters. He was announced as a 2008 inductee in the International Motorsports Hall of Fame three days after his death on Dec. 3, 2007.
Glinsky also suggested Soap Box Derby champion Fred Derks, at age 15 in 1949, should also similarly be honored with a street name and display. He added that the two displays could be unveiled at next summer’s Rock the Docks event.
The next trustees’ meeting will be Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs retiree benefit changes
- Treats in store at Akron Zoo
- County seeing opiate epidemic effects on finances
- APS board hears financial forecast
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office dedicates K-9 memorial
- ‘King of the Falls’ receives recognition at Broad Boulevard
- Falls leaf program start delayed to Oct. 31
- Falls seeking Youth Advisory Council members
- Norton Council OKs energy efficiency improvements
- Montrose Avenue zoning request in Bath withdrawn
- Norton Council clerk collecting pajama donations
- Boy Scout builds birdhouses for area shelters
- Copley trustees purchase third parcel for ‘campus’
- KAB recognizes board member, volunteer
- Richfield Council considering expanding cemeteries
- Granger board hears complaints about after-hours park use
- Lead poisoning prevention push underway
- SCPH gets $2.9 million for Lead Hazard Control program
- County Adopt-A-Thon rehomes pets
- Green honors fire captain for state award
- Springfield district hosts Halloween event
- Springfield sewer project starting soon
- Financial Planning Commission gets committee reports
- Green High School auditorium receiving sound upgrade
- South Side News & Notes
- New Franklin Council OKs raise for finance director
Calendar of Events
- Art of Vijay Rastogi - 10/28/2016
- Twilight Hike and Campfire - 10/28/2016
- Tales for Tots: ages 3-6 - 10/28/2016
- Elvis Costello and the Imposters - 10/28/2016
- Ballroom Nights - 10/28/2016