SCCS celebrating National Adoption Awareness Month
SUMMIT COUNTY — More than 50 children in the permanent custody of Summit County Children Services (SCCS) are waiting to be adopted, and 90 percent of those children are aged 12 and older, SCCS announced last week.
With November designated as National Adoption Awareness Month, the SCCS Placement and Permanency Planning Services Department has scheduled a month-long series of events designed to raise community awareness of the importance of adoption, especially the adoption of teens.
National Adoption Awareness Month events that are free and open to the public include:
- Adoption Day at Probate Court, Nov. 4, 1:30 p.m. at Summit County Probate Court — This is a day of celebration during which several adoptive families will formally legalize their adoptions of children.
- Foster Care and Adoption Information Meetings — Nov. 4, 6 to 8 p.m. at SCCS, 264 S. Arlington St. in South Akron and Nov. 25, 6-8 p.m. at Green Branch Library, 4046 Massillon Road in Green — Individuals wanting to learn more about foster care and adoption are invited to attend these special free information meetings.
- Family Movie Night, “The Blind Side,” Nov. 7, 6:30 p.m., Akron-Summit County Main Library — Families are invited to view the adoption-themed movie starring Academy Award winner Sandra Bullock. This true story focuses on Michael Oher, a homeless boy who became an All-American football player and first-round NFL draft pick with the support of a caring woman and her family. SCCS staff will be available that evening with information about adoption. The movie is free, and free parking is available.
- Ohio Adoption Advocacy Day, Nov. 13, 10:30 a.m., Statehouse Atrium, Columbus — Adoption advocates from across Ohio will rally at The Ohio Statehouse to celebrate Adoption Awareness Month. The event will draw attention to 3,000 Ohio foster children who are waiting for permanent families.
For more information, call SCCS at 330-379-2055 or visit www.summitkids.org.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Council districts subject of opposing issues
- Fun in season at Ohio Mart
- Akron expanding Wallhaven business district
- Creator of Portage Path sculptures returning for lecture
- West Side News & Notes
- Veterans get helping hand
- County Council selling bonds for The Village at St. Edward
- Urban Ounce of Prevention festivities mark 25th anniversary
- Work on Route 18 nearing completion for 2015
- Sessions on retirement planned
- Akron SCORE celebrates anniversary
- Bath trustees OK payment for Heritage Corridors project
- Bath Community Fund celebrates success
- Richfield trustees support Issue 22
- Cuyahoga Falls billboards promote medical information program
Calendar of Events
- Cooking Seminar and Happy Hour - 10/8/2015
- Healthy Strides Hike and Talk - 10/8/2015
- National Depression Screening Day - 10/8/2015
- Creative Writing for Homeschoolers: ages 8 to 12 - 10/8/2015
- “Avengers: Age of Ultron” - 10/8/2015