SCCS celebrating National Adoption Awareness Month
SUMMIT COUNTY — More than 50 children in the permanent custody of Summit County Children Services (SCCS) are waiting to be adopted, and 90 percent of those children are aged 12 and older, SCCS announced last week.
With November designated as National Adoption Awareness Month, the SCCS Placement and Permanency Planning Services Department has scheduled a month-long series of events designed to raise community awareness of the importance of adoption, especially the adoption of teens.
National Adoption Awareness Month events that are free and open to the public include:
- Adoption Day at Probate Court, Nov. 4, 1:30 p.m. at Summit County Probate Court — This is a day of celebration during which several adoptive families will formally legalize their adoptions of children.
- Foster Care and Adoption Information Meetings — Nov. 4, 6 to 8 p.m. at SCCS, 264 S. Arlington St. in South Akron and Nov. 25, 6-8 p.m. at Green Branch Library, 4046 Massillon Road in Green — Individuals wanting to learn more about foster care and adoption are invited to attend these special free information meetings.
- Family Movie Night, “The Blind Side,” Nov. 7, 6:30 p.m., Akron-Summit County Main Library — Families are invited to view the adoption-themed movie starring Academy Award winner Sandra Bullock. This true story focuses on Michael Oher, a homeless boy who became an All-American football player and first-round NFL draft pick with the support of a caring woman and her family. SCCS staff will be available that evening with information about adoption. The movie is free, and free parking is available.
- Ohio Adoption Advocacy Day, Nov. 13, 10:30 a.m., Statehouse Atrium, Columbus — Adoption advocates from across Ohio will rally at The Ohio Statehouse to celebrate Adoption Awareness Month. The event will draw attention to 3,000 Ohio foster children who are waiting for permanent families.
For more information, call SCCS at 330-379-2055 or visit www.summitkids.org.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014