SCCS celebrating National Adoption Awareness Month
SUMMIT COUNTY — More than 50 children in the permanent custody of Summit County Children Services (SCCS) are waiting to be adopted, and 90 percent of those children are aged 12 and older, SCCS announced last week.
With November designated as National Adoption Awareness Month, the SCCS Placement and Permanency Planning Services Department has scheduled a month-long series of events designed to raise community awareness of the importance of adoption, especially the adoption of teens.
National Adoption Awareness Month events that are free and open to the public include:
- Adoption Day at Probate Court, Nov. 4, 1:30 p.m. at Summit County Probate Court — This is a day of celebration during which several adoptive families will formally legalize their adoptions of children.
- Foster Care and Adoption Information Meetings — Nov. 4, 6 to 8 p.m. at SCCS, 264 S. Arlington St. in South Akron and Nov. 25, 6-8 p.m. at Green Branch Library, 4046 Massillon Road in Green — Individuals wanting to learn more about foster care and adoption are invited to attend these special free information meetings.
- Family Movie Night, “The Blind Side,” Nov. 7, 6:30 p.m., Akron-Summit County Main Library — Families are invited to view the adoption-themed movie starring Academy Award winner Sandra Bullock. This true story focuses on Michael Oher, a homeless boy who became an All-American football player and first-round NFL draft pick with the support of a caring woman and her family. SCCS staff will be available that evening with information about adoption. The movie is free, and free parking is available.
- Ohio Adoption Advocacy Day, Nov. 13, 10:30 a.m., Statehouse Atrium, Columbus — Adoption advocates from across Ohio will rally at The Ohio Statehouse to celebrate Adoption Awareness Month. The event will draw attention to 3,000 Ohio foster children who are waiting for permanent families.
For more information, call SCCS at 330-379-2055 or visit www.summitkids.org.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- County notes success of Gay Games
- Copley fathers, sons hike Grand Canyon rim to rim
- Fairlawn updating rental, housing code
- Church offering English as second language classes
- Medina County hiking program begins Sept. 1
- Bath board approves road improvements, trail construction
- Boston officials discuss new safety measures
- Sharon Fire adding new shift
- Red Cross names interim chapter executive
- JLA accepts grant for Kids in the Kitchen project
- West Side News & Notes
- Coventry to further fund flood mitigation
- Local man ‘model’ citizen with building hobby
- County Council notes success of Gay Games
- Cottage Grove School set for demolition
- Kick for The Cure benefiting Camp Quality, hospice
- Springfield trustees seeking to reduce water/sewer bills further
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Saturday Dance and Gymnastics - 8/23/2014
- Sixth Medina International Fest - 8/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 8/23/2014
- “Relatively Speaking” by Alan Ayckbourn - 8/24/2014
- Hudson Stamp Show - 8/24/2014