SCCS celebrating National Adoption Awareness Month
SUMMIT COUNTY — More than 50 children in the permanent custody of Summit County Children Services (SCCS) are waiting to be adopted, and 90 percent of those children are aged 12 and older, SCCS announced last week.
With November designated as National Adoption Awareness Month, the SCCS Placement and Permanency Planning Services Department has scheduled a month-long series of events designed to raise community awareness of the importance of adoption, especially the adoption of teens.
National Adoption Awareness Month events that are free and open to the public include:
- Adoption Day at Probate Court, Nov. 4, 1:30 p.m. at Summit County Probate Court — This is a day of celebration during which several adoptive families will formally legalize their adoptions of children.
- Foster Care and Adoption Information Meetings — Nov. 4, 6 to 8 p.m. at SCCS, 264 S. Arlington St. in South Akron and Nov. 25, 6-8 p.m. at Green Branch Library, 4046 Massillon Road in Green — Individuals wanting to learn more about foster care and adoption are invited to attend these special free information meetings.
- Family Movie Night, “The Blind Side,” Nov. 7, 6:30 p.m., Akron-Summit County Main Library — Families are invited to view the adoption-themed movie starring Academy Award winner Sandra Bullock. This true story focuses on Michael Oher, a homeless boy who became an All-American football player and first-round NFL draft pick with the support of a caring woman and her family. SCCS staff will be available that evening with information about adoption. The movie is free, and free parking is available.
- Ohio Adoption Advocacy Day, Nov. 13, 10:30 a.m., Statehouse Atrium, Columbus — Adoption advocates from across Ohio will rally at The Ohio Statehouse to celebrate Adoption Awareness Month. The event will draw attention to 3,000 Ohio foster children who are waiting for permanent families.
For more information, call SCCS at 330-379-2055 or visit www.summitkids.org.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Spring Awakening” - 12/6/2016
- Music Trivia - 12/6/2016
- Cake Decorating: Holiday Cupcakes; Cake Decorating: Holiday Cookies - 12/6/2016
- Glass Fusing with Marianne Hite - 12/7/2016
- Weekday Walkers - 12/7/2016