Council OKs chemical system contract, sets public hearings
In a brief and uneventful regular meeting Nov. 4, the only legislative action Akron City Council took was to authorize a contract for chemical dispensing systems for 15 Akron Fire Department buildings.
The systems, the contract for which will cost $30,771 for three years, will, according to department officials, reduce the loss of cleaning chemicals, be more environmentally friendly and allow for a savings due to the purchase of less chemicals.
Council’s Public Safety Committee also elected to take time to consider a resolution requesting funding for a Neighborhood Mobile Resource Center to address crime.
According to resolution sponsor Councilman Russel Neal Jr. (D-Ward 4), the center, which would allow community members to address needs in their neighborhood, would be part of a proactive collaborative community engagement plan. The center would operate in conjunction with county agencies, local law enforcement, neighborhood block clubs and grassroots organizations, he said.
The startup cost would be $55,000, with yearly maintenance estimated at $2,000, he said.
In other business, Council set public hearings on several requests for conditional-use permits, including the following in West Akron:
- Metro Parks, Serving Summit County is requesting a conditional use to construct a gravel parking lot with a zero building-line setback at 2655 Akron-Peninsula Road for a proposed mountain bike trailhead;
- Portage Country Club is requesting a conditional use to construct an addition at 240 N. Portage Path; and
- St. Sebastian Parish is requesting a conditional use to construct three ground signs at 476 Mull Ave.
The Planning Department staff and Planning Commission both recommend approval on all of the above requests.
Due to the Veterans Day federal holiday, Akron City Council will not meet Nov. 11. The next regular Council meeting will be Nov. 18 at 7 p.m. in City Council Chambers on the third floor of the Akron Municipal Building, 166 S. High St. in Downtown Akron. Committee meetings are set for 2 p.m. that day in the same place.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Godzilla” - 10/23/2014
- Campfire: Northern Cheyenne Indians - 10/23/2014
- GriefCare Place - 10/23/2014
- The Tubes - 10/24/2014
- Tales for Tots - 10/24/2014