Hospice of VNS hosts veterans celebration
|Photos courtesy of Akron General Hospice of Visiting Nurse Service|
Copley American Legion Post No. 473 and Copley VFW Post No. 7971 Honor Guard members fired a 21-gun salute, shown above. There also was a bugler playing taps, and cadets from Garfield High School’s JROTC color guard participated.
Shown below, Dr. Ben Alvarez, a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force (inactive), spoke about the significance of Veterans Day, celebrated Nov. 11, at the event. He is senior vice president of Physician Alignment and president of Akron General Partners Physician Group.
Sarah Lowry, Northeast Ohio regional representative of U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown’s (D-Ohio) office, welcomed guests and thanked veterans for their service. Dorothea Clarke, a resident of Akron, sang “America the Beautiful” and led the group in singing “God Bless America” and “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Jessi Baughman, from North Coast Pipe Band, also performed.
More Community News
- Akron addresses campaign finance violations
- Local communities celebrating Memorial Day
- Akron sounds to inspire symphony
- County nearing end of contract cycle
- Revere community rallies to support veterans
- West Side News & Notes
- Courts get grants for technology
- Fairlawn Council passes updates to city’s rental, housing code
- Bath trustees moving forward with information center
- Boston looking into potential funding from Ohio EPA
- Foundation helping families with cancer
- Sharon officials hold meeting at Sharon Elementary School
Calendar of Events
- Electric Pressure Cooker Open Mic - 5/22/2015
- Lil’ Sprouts - 5/22/2015
- Kathy Johnson Trio - 5/22/2015
- Ron Kalinoski on “How to Grind Your Own Telescope Mirror”: Astronomy Club of Akron - 5/22/2015
- Wanted with Rock Brigade - 5/22/2015