Green honors veterans at annual ceremony
The service included a Presentation of the Colors by the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard, shown above.
The event also had a raising of the flags ceremony, shown below, with U.S. Air Force 1st Reservist Doug Shepard, shown second from right. In addition, the Green Intermediate School Choir sang hymns.
World War II veteran Pete Keslar, 89, shown at right top, was the guest speaker at the service. Keslar, a U.S. Marine, was headed to Japan when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, according to city officials. After the war, he returned home to the Akron area, worked for Acme and retired as its director of sales in 1991.
At the end of the service, city officials and others took time to thank veterans and active members of the U.S. Armed Forces for their service. Shown at right bottom is Green Mayor Dick Norton shaking hands with Shepard, who is standing with his daughter, Selene. Refreshments were served afterward.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Summertime Card Party - 7/25/2014
- Voices in the Valley: Jim Gill - 7/25/2014
- Wine Tasting and Silent Auction - 7/25/2014
- Tony Rio - 7/25/2014
- A New Adventure - 7/26/2014