Foodbank presents Hunger-Free Families campaign
SUMMIT COUNTY — This holiday season the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank will host the annual Hunger-Free Families campaign, running now through Dec. 31. The campaign seeks to inspire the community to come together to take action and help provide food to families struggling with hunger.
Community members can become involved in the fight to end hunger by becoming Hunger Heroes through the Hunger-Free Families campaign. Locally, Hunger Heroes are individuals from hundreds of local companies, nonprofit organizations, governmental bodies, schools, social clubs and faith-based organizations that partner with the Foodbank to host food and funds drives.
Many local partners support the campaign by holding events to raise money and collect food for the Foodbank, including:
- 98.1 WKDD, My 101.7, Rock 106.9 and 640 WHLO will host the Long Haul Against Hunger tomorrow, Nov. 22. Live broadcasts from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. and a variety of activities will take place at this drive-by and donate event at Howe Avenue Plaza at Chapel Hill in Cuyahoga Falls and 356 Fighter Group, 4919 Mount Pleasant St. N.W. in Green.
- Double Your Dollar Day is an online promotion on Cyber Monday, Dec. 1. While making holiday purchases online, visit www.akroncantonfoodbank.org and make a donation. A Canton-area family will match any dollar donated on Cyber Monday.
- The inaugural Selfless Elf 5K will take place Dec. 21. Participants can dress up in their favorite festive holiday-themed costumes or running gear and run or walk the 3.1-mile course beginning and ending at the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank in Downtown Akron. The race begins at 8 a.m.
- The Foodbank also has eight point-of-purchase partners in Summit County that are selling Foodbank icons for $1. The $1 donated equals 4 meals to those struggling with hunger, according to Foodbank officials. Find Foodbank icons at one of the following locations: Handel’s Homemade Ice Cream and Yogurt — Cuyahoga Falls and Green locations, Old Carolina Barbecue, On Tap at the Harbor, Ron Marhofer Auto Family Locations, Save Your Skin Tans, Pancho’s Southwestern Grille, Sweet Frog Premium Frozen Yogurt, Tadpoles & Tiddlers, The Peanut Shoppe and West Side Bakery of Green.
To learn more about the campaign, visit www.akroncantonfoodbank.org/hff.aspx or call 330-535-6900.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Council districts subject of opposing issues
- Fun in season at Ohio Mart
- Akron expanding Wallhaven business district
- Creator of Portage Path sculptures returning for lecture
- West Side News & Notes
- Veterans get helping hand
- County Council selling bonds for The Village at St. Edward
- Urban Ounce of Prevention festivities mark 25th anniversary
- Work on Route 18 nearing completion for 2015
- Sessions on retirement planned
- Akron SCORE celebrates anniversary
- Bath trustees OK payment for Heritage Corridors project
- Bath Community Fund celebrates success
- Richfield trustees support Issue 22
- Cuyahoga Falls billboards promote medical information program
- Council introduces vicious dog legislation
- Bulldog Dash raises funds for Green schools
- Springfield district seeking renewal of two levies
- County Council holds public hearing for sewer project
- Council districts subject of opposing ballot issues
- South Side News & Notes
- Summer sewer rate discussed in Akron
Calendar of Events
- An Evening of American Indian Arts - 10/13/2015
- Show and Tell Me a Story: for ages 1-3 - 10/13/2015
- Symphony Land Story Time with the Canton Symphony Orchestra - 10/13/2015
- Widows and Widowers Under 50 - 10/14/2015
- Know Your iPad; Searching the Internet - 10/14/2015