Foodbank presents Hunger-Free Families campaign
SUMMIT COUNTY — This holiday season the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank will host the annual Hunger-Free Families campaign, running now through Dec. 31. The campaign seeks to inspire the community to come together to take action and help provide food to families struggling with hunger.
Community members can become involved in the fight to end hunger by becoming Hunger Heroes through the Hunger-Free Families campaign. Locally, Hunger Heroes are individuals from hundreds of local companies, nonprofit organizations, governmental bodies, schools, social clubs and faith-based organizations that partner with the Foodbank to host food and funds drives.
Many local partners support the campaign by holding events to raise money and collect food for the Foodbank, including:
- 98.1 WKDD, My 101.7, Rock 106.9 and 640 WHLO will host the Long Haul Against Hunger tomorrow, Nov. 22. Live broadcasts from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. and a variety of activities will take place at this drive-by and donate event at Howe Avenue Plaza at Chapel Hill in Cuyahoga Falls and 356 Fighter Group, 4919 Mount Pleasant St. N.W. in Green.
- Double Your Dollar Day is an online promotion on Cyber Monday, Dec. 1. While making holiday purchases online, visit www.akroncantonfoodbank.org and make a donation. A Canton-area family will match any dollar donated on Cyber Monday.
- The inaugural Selfless Elf 5K will take place Dec. 21. Participants can dress up in their favorite festive holiday-themed costumes or running gear and run or walk the 3.1-mile course beginning and ending at the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank in Downtown Akron. The race begins at 8 a.m.
- The Foodbank also has eight point-of-purchase partners in Summit County that are selling Foodbank icons for $1. The $1 donated equals 4 meals to those struggling with hunger, according to Foodbank officials. Find Foodbank icons at one of the following locations: Handel’s Homemade Ice Cream and Yogurt — Cuyahoga Falls and Green locations, Old Carolina Barbecue, On Tap at the Harbor, Ron Marhofer Auto Family Locations, Save Your Skin Tans, Pancho’s Southwestern Grille, Sweet Frog Premium Frozen Yogurt, Tadpoles & Tiddlers, The Peanut Shoppe and West Side Bakery of Green.
To learn more about the campaign, visit www.akroncantonfoodbank.org/hff.aspx or call 330-535-6900.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron mayor hints at future plans
- STVM rocketry students aiming for new heights
- Council disagrees on changing felon hiring policy
- Customers may get break on sewer fees
- Akron Urban League turns 90 this year
- West Side News & Notes
- City making plans to widen South Cleveland-Massillon Road
- Falls Council approves 2015 resurfacing program
- Norton Council discussing future pump station site
- Residents hope to overturn trustees’ approval of zoning change
- Richfield officials encourage help for Project Pride Cleanup
- Richfield trustees approve revised employee handbook
- Trustees introduced to new medication dispensing program
- Bath Elementary student’s cabbage earns him scholarship
Calendar of Events
- “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day” - 3/26/2015
- Biohealth Micro-Art Show - 3/26/2015
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 3/26/2015
- Adventurers of the Year Amy and Dave Freeman - 3/27/2015
- Alice Tan Ridley - 3/27/2015