Foodbank presents Hunger-Free Families campaign
SUMMIT COUNTY — This holiday season the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank will host the annual Hunger-Free Families campaign, running now through Dec. 31. The campaign seeks to inspire the community to come together to take action and help provide food to families struggling with hunger.
Community members can become involved in the fight to end hunger by becoming Hunger Heroes through the Hunger-Free Families campaign. Locally, Hunger Heroes are individuals from hundreds of local companies, nonprofit organizations, governmental bodies, schools, social clubs and faith-based organizations that partner with the Foodbank to host food and funds drives.
Many local partners support the campaign by holding events to raise money and collect food for the Foodbank, including:
- 98.1 WKDD, My 101.7, Rock 106.9 and 640 WHLO will host the Long Haul Against Hunger tomorrow, Nov. 22. Live broadcasts from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. and a variety of activities will take place at this drive-by and donate event at Howe Avenue Plaza at Chapel Hill in Cuyahoga Falls and 356 Fighter Group, 4919 Mount Pleasant St. N.W. in Green.
- Double Your Dollar Day is an online promotion on Cyber Monday, Dec. 1. While making holiday purchases online, visit www.akroncantonfoodbank.org and make a donation. A Canton-area family will match any dollar donated on Cyber Monday.
- The inaugural Selfless Elf 5K will take place Dec. 21. Participants can dress up in their favorite festive holiday-themed costumes or running gear and run or walk the 3.1-mile course beginning and ending at the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank in Downtown Akron. The race begins at 8 a.m.
- The Foodbank also has eight point-of-purchase partners in Summit County that are selling Foodbank icons for $1. The $1 donated equals 4 meals to those struggling with hunger, according to Foodbank officials. Find Foodbank icons at one of the following locations: Handel’s Homemade Ice Cream and Yogurt — Cuyahoga Falls and Green locations, Old Carolina Barbecue, On Tap at the Harbor, Ron Marhofer Auto Family Locations, Save Your Skin Tans, Pancho’s Southwestern Grille, Sweet Frog Premium Frozen Yogurt, Tadpoles & Tiddlers, The Peanut Shoppe and West Side Bakery of Green.
To learn more about the campaign, visit www.akroncantonfoodbank.org/hff.aspx or call 330-535-6900.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Bath parks levy renewal on May ballot
- Area communities offering Safety Town
- Woodridge studying future of school buildings
- Council OKs new Dollar General in Merriman Valley
- Youth employment program getting on its way
- Falls Council OKs purchase for Electrical Department
- Norton Council accepts Moving Ohio Forward funds
- Boston trustees take step to clear property
- Sharon trustees discuss recent township break-ins
- Granger trustees approve tax abatement guidelines
- KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
- LaRose honors local youth
- YMCAs presenting Healthy Kids Day
- Montrose transportation meeting set for May 15
- United Way announces education investments, new funding strategy
- West Side News & Notes
- Green district seeking levy renewal
- Children celebrate Easter early
- Board strikes deal to keep fitness center running
- Springfield officer honored for service
- Grant possibility could increase police presence in Coventry
- Youth employment program on its way
- Rebuilding Together to improve nine area homes
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Easter Family Fun Day - 4/19/2014
- Sensory Story Time - 4/19/2014
- Terrarium Workshop - 4/19/2014
- Hop, Hop, Hop! - 4/19/2014
- “Snow White and the Magic Mirror: A Grimm Tale” - 4/19/2014