Candle lighting for bereaved parents, families Dec. 8
|The Christmas Box Angel of Hope Children’s Memorial, shown at right, is located at Silver Springs Cemetery in Stow.|
|Photo courtesy of Sarah Ruble|
Families and friends will participate in this candle-lighting ceremony of remembrance and hope to help ease the challenges of the upcoming holidays, according to organizers.
The Christmas Box Angel of Hope statue was introduced in the book “The Christmas Box,” written by Richard Paul Evans. There are more than 100 Christmas Box Angel statues across the country, according to organizers.
The Stow candle lighting is always held in conjunction with the Worldwide Candle Lighting, an event originated by the Compassionate Friends, a national organization that helps bereaved parents.
The Worldwide Candle Lighting began 17 years ago as a way to remember deceased children. This event is held every year on the second Sunday in December. Candles will be lit for one hour in all time zones, starting in New Zealand at 7 p.m., for a 24-hour wave of light. Thousands of parents are expected to participate.
Those who have lost a child are invited to attend the remembrance at the Angel of Hope Children’s Memorial. Silver Springs Cemetery is located at 5080 Stow Road. Candles will be provided. Participants are asked to dress warmly and are welcome to bring flowers in memory of their child or children.
A brass-plated Angel of Hope ornament is available through www.christmasboxangelofhopestowohio.com for $15. All proceeds from this ornament fund the Angel of Hope Children’s Memorial, according to organizers.
Memorial bricks continue to be sold throughout the year at a cost of $100, with placement at the memorial in the spring and fall. Order forms are available through the website, at the memorial or by calling call Sara Ruble at 330-689-1089.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014