Community says goodbye to Springfield High
The building will be closed soon as the new school for students in seventh through 12th grades is nearing completion. Teachers and students will start the new year in the new building, according to district officials.
The Final Farewell event also offered old school yearbooks for sale. Shown above are visitors at the event looking through boxes of yearbooks.
Also during the event, a time capsule placed in the Central Building around 1930 by the Junior Order of Mechanics was opened by the organization’s national president, Roger Sullivan, and Springfield Superintendent Bill Stauffer. Shown at right top, from left, are Sullivan and Stauffer holding newspapers found in the capsule. The time capsule also contained a deteriorated copy of a yearbook and ribbons.
Doris “Walker” Day, a member of the Class of 1962, is shown at right bottom. She reminisced about her high school days and shared a story of accidentally hitting the gym teacher in the head during a dodge ball game in the Central Building gym.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Kayaks take plunge in Falls
- Council OKs Akron residential tax plan
- E-poll books may update voting process in county
- Inside|Out art spreads to Copley, West Akron
- Breaux promotes positive attitude on bench
- West Side News & Notes
- Love Akron Network Awards Breakfast focusing on civility
- Summit County officials train for emergencies
- Norton bans medical marijuana operations in city
- Humane Society has new Mobile Adoption Center
- Falls receives grant for preserve project
- Falls breaks ground for downtown revitalization
- City offering electronics recycling
- Falls cleanup May 1-12
- Trustees holding public hearings on fee
- Richfield approves resolutions on autism, intolerance
- Granger officials hear update on proposed conservancy district
- Kiwanis creates baskets for women’s shelter
- MCBDD suggests early detection key for autism
- Touch-A-Truck event offering close-up view
Calendar of Events
- Family Story Time - 4/27/2017
- GriefCare Place - 4/27/2017
- History of Gorge Metro Park - 4/27/2017
- Ballroom Dance Lessons - 4/27/2017
- Rock-a-Bye Tales: 6 to 24 months - 4/27/2017