Community says goodbye to Springfield High
The building will be closed soon as the new school for students in seventh through 12th grades is nearing completion. Teachers and students will start the new year in the new building, according to district officials.
The Final Farewell event also offered old school yearbooks for sale. Shown above are visitors at the event looking through boxes of yearbooks.
Also during the event, a time capsule placed in the Central Building around 1930 by the Junior Order of Mechanics was opened by the organization’s national president, Roger Sullivan, and Springfield Superintendent Bill Stauffer. Shown at right top, from left, are Sullivan and Stauffer holding newspapers found in the capsule. The time capsule also contained a deteriorated copy of a yearbook and ribbons.
Doris “Walker” Day, a member of the Class of 1962, is shown at right bottom. She reminisced about her high school days and shared a story of accidentally hitting the gym teacher in the head during a dodge ball game in the Central Building gym.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Girls explore engineering careers
- County consumer protection gets attention
- Crown Point celebrating 25th year
- Local Women Who Care hoping to increase ranks
- Firestone Theatre one of first to stage ‘Mary Poppins’
- ACF announces record assets, awards $1.93 million in grants
- Akron Council voices opposition to ‘restrictive’ state bills
- Bath trustees hire staff for fire department
- Boston trustees discuss action to clear property
- Wadsworth judge presents annual report to Sharon trustees
- West Side News & Notes
- County’s consumer protection gets attention
- Green district celebrates education
- Springfield trustees eyeing new pumper
- Local man impacts mental health training worldwide
- Green students Do Something good
- Lakemore making progress with village deficit
- Jewish Community Board celebrates century
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Breath and Imagination” - 3/9/2014
- Second Sunday Dance - 3/9/2014
- Evening Retirement Series - 3/10/2014
- Anchoring - 3/10/2014
- A Far Cry with Matt Haimovitz - 3/11/2014