Community says goodbye to Springfield High
The building will be closed soon as the new school for students in seventh through 12th grades is nearing completion. Teachers and students will start the new year in the new building, according to district officials.
The Final Farewell event also offered old school yearbooks for sale. Shown above are visitors at the event looking through boxes of yearbooks.
Also during the event, a time capsule placed in the Central Building around 1930 by the Junior Order of Mechanics was opened by the organization’s national president, Roger Sullivan, and Springfield Superintendent Bill Stauffer. Shown at right top, from left, are Sullivan and Stauffer holding newspapers found in the capsule. The time capsule also contained a deteriorated copy of a yearbook and ribbons.
Doris “Walker” Day, a member of the Class of 1962, is shown at right bottom. She reminisced about her high school days and shared a story of accidentally hitting the gym teacher in the head during a dodge ball game in the Central Building gym.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Minus kitchen, shelter will feed residents
- Revere students schooled on financial literacy
- Travel expenses spur Akron City Council discussion
- Copley survey results to guide development
- West Side News & Notes
- Norton celebrates upgraded bond rating
- Four to seek vacant Norton City Council seat
- Sharon Post Office to host Passport Fair
- Council delays vote on repairs to downtown decks
- Peninsula Council honors resident
- Boston trustees discuss new speed limit law
- Council considers rezoning request on West Streetsboro Road
- Trustees OK agreement for Southern Road property
- Granger property owner addresses BZA ruling
- Police seeking help with burglaries
- Green Middle School assisting students in need
- Coventry district presents report on open enrollment
- Coventry closes door to new gaming establishments
- South Side News & Notes
- Even without kitchen, shelter will feed residents
Calendar of Events
- Verb Ballets: “Works Reimagined: Continuing the Legacy of Heinz Poll”; “Carnival of the Animals” - 2/19/2017
- Akron Baroque and Singers Companye - 2/19/2017
- Pinterest Projects: Succulents - 2/19/2017
- “Pete’s Dragon” - 2/20/2017
- Friends of the Maltz Museum’s Presidents’ Day Celebration - 2/20/2017