Community says goodbye to Springfield High
The building will be closed soon as the new school for students in seventh through 12th grades is nearing completion. Teachers and students will start the new year in the new building, according to district officials.
The Final Farewell event also offered old school yearbooks for sale. Shown above are visitors at the event looking through boxes of yearbooks.
Also during the event, a time capsule placed in the Central Building around 1930 by the Junior Order of Mechanics was opened by the organization’s national president, Roger Sullivan, and Springfield Superintendent Bill Stauffer. Shown at right top, from left, are Sullivan and Stauffer holding newspapers found in the capsule. The time capsule also contained a deteriorated copy of a yearbook and ribbons.
Doris “Walker” Day, a member of the Class of 1962, is shown at right bottom. She reminisced about her high school days and shared a story of accidentally hitting the gym teacher in the head during a dodge ball game in the Central Building gym.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- County notes success of Gay Games
- Copley fathers, sons hike Grand Canyon rim to rim
- Fairlawn updating rental, housing code
- Church offering English as second language classes
- Medina County hiking program begins Sept. 1
- Bath board approves road improvements, trail construction
- Boston officials discuss new safety measures
- Sharon Fire adding new shift
- Red Cross names interim chapter executive
- JLA accepts grant for Kids in the Kitchen project
- West Side News & Notes
- Coventry to further fund flood mitigation
- Local man ‘model’ citizen with building hobby
- County Council notes success of Gay Games
- Cottage Grove School set for demolition
- Kick for The Cure benefiting Camp Quality, hospice
- Springfield trustees seeking to reduce water/sewer bills further
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Saturday Dance and Gymnastics - 8/23/2014
- Sixth Medina International Fest - 8/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 8/23/2014
- “Relatively Speaking” by Alan Ayckbourn - 8/24/2014
- Hudson Stamp Show - 8/24/2014