Community says goodbye to Springfield High
The building will be closed soon as the new school for students in seventh through 12th grades is nearing completion. Teachers and students will start the new year in the new building, according to district officials.
The Final Farewell event also offered old school yearbooks for sale. Shown above are visitors at the event looking through boxes of yearbooks.
Also during the event, a time capsule placed in the Central Building around 1930 by the Junior Order of Mechanics was opened by the organization’s national president, Roger Sullivan, and Springfield Superintendent Bill Stauffer. Shown at right top, from left, are Sullivan and Stauffer holding newspapers found in the capsule. The time capsule also contained a deteriorated copy of a yearbook and ribbons.
Doris “Walker” Day, a member of the Class of 1962, is shown at right bottom. She reminisced about her high school days and shared a story of accidentally hitting the gym teacher in the head during a dodge ball game in the Central Building gym.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014