Lakemore in need of dump truck
Lakemore Village is looking to dump two dilapidated trucks and secure a newer model as soon as possible for use by the Department of Public Service.
At the Nov. 18 meeting, Council approved allocating up to $20,000 to buy a dump truck.
Mayor Rick Justice said the purchase would be made from funds from the sewer, water and street maintenance fund, as well as through the sale of two village-owned, 1-ton dump trucks.
He added Lakemore’s General Fund balance would not be impacted by the purchase.
The village has not located its future dump truck yet, but Council approved the legislation necessary to make a purchase quickly when a good buy is found.
“We need to find a good, used truck,” Justice said. “We will move forward with a purchase as soon as we find something to meet our situation.”
He added it would be nice if the new dump truck had the ability to plow snow, as well.
Councilman Tom Wolfe said the village realized last winter the two current dump trucks soon would have to be retired.
He added the vehicles are very “old” and not worth the cost to keep them running.
Wolfe said the village has “no choice” but to buy a new one.
According to the mayor, the village currently doesn’t have a dump truck able to respond to a water main break, so a newer vehicle needs to be obtained quickly.
Also during the meeting, Council introduced legislation:
• permitting an agreement with Brouse McDowell for legal advice in connection with current litigation and zoning violations at a cost of $150 per hour;
• authorizing a contract with SummaCare for employee health insurance coverage from Dec. 1 through Nov. 30, 2014, with monthly premiums for the city at $5,102;
• authorizing a contract with Summit County Public Health and the village for services associated with monitoring storm water pollution and the enforcement of regulations prohibiting illicit discharges to the municipal separate storm sewer system of the village; and
• adopting a solid waste management plan for ReWorks.
In other village business, Justice announced the Lakemore Village Tavern recently raised $860 to purchase winter coats, hats, gloves and boots for local children in need.
Wolfe also promoted the recent opening of Forever Fit, a new fitness center in the Lakemore Plaza. He said the new center features new equipment and is offering various fitness classes.
Councilwoman Anne Synder announced the annual Tree Lighting Celebration will be held Nov. 30 beginning at 6 p.m. at the Municipal Building, 1400 Main St., and will include refreshments and a visit from Santa Claus.
Council will hold a workshop meeting Dec. 4 at 6 p.m. at the Municipal Building, 1400 Main St.
The next Council meeting is set for Dec. 16 at 7 p.m. at the Municipal Building. The Dec. 2 meeting has been canceled.
More Community News
- Local issues filed for November ballot
- Community Day brightens up weekend in Richfield
- Council entering battle against fuel pump fraud
- School preparation focus of Summit for Kids
- Teen completes Akron-to-Miami cycling adventure
- West Side News & Notes
- Suspect arrested for CVNP shooting
- Junior League of Akron names award recipients
- Trustees discuss zoning issues
- Richfield Council OKs selling surplus items
- Fairlawn enacts moratorium on medical marijuana businesses
- Trustees OK contracts for windows, doors
- Trustees address fiscal matters
- Granger trustees hear about daytime burglaries
- Granger residents report break-ins
- State Route 94/Granger Road closure delayed
- Volunteer Guardian Program seeking volunteers
- Green to share political insights at Akron Woman’s City Club
- Local issues filed for November ballot
- PLCC burn building training center dedicated
- Coventry board addresses open enrollment issues
- Coventry residents rally for Kew Drive demolition
- Manchester bond issue result due Aug. 19
- South Side News & Notes
- Summit County Council entering battle against fuel pump fraud
- Five arrested for historic schoolhouse fire, vandalism at parksmaria
Calendar of Events
- GriefCare Place - 8/25/2016
- Jim Gill; Robin Roseberry - 8/25/2016
- Moustache Yourself - 8/25/2016
- Yoga in the Park - 8/25/2016
- Community Forum with the International Institute - 8/25/2016