Coventry considers liquor license transfer
When it comes to new liquor licenses, Coventry has come up dry.
Because the maximum quota of licenses in the township has been met, one local business is looking to transfer another license into the community.
The Coventry Township Board of Trustees held a discussion on the matter at the Nov. 14 meeting, with Township Attorney Irv Sugerman leading the talk.
Sugerman said the township recently received an Economic Development Transfer Form (TREX) from the Ohio Department of Commerce, Division of Liquor Control, submitted by Anthony Pierce, of the Portage Lakes Brewing Co. LLC, 503 Portage Lakes Drive.
He explained a liquor license can be transferred from one jurisdiction to another, as long as it is for economic development purposes.
Sugerman added the governing body in the jurisdiction has to approve of the transfer request. The governing body has to decide if the license coming in would positively impact the community, he said. Sugerman asked the board to consider how the township would be affected by the transfer request.
The board agreed it should sit down with the applicant to get numerous questions addressed and work with Sugerman to establish guidelines for this and future liquor license transfer requests.
According to Zoning Inspector George Beckham, the applicant would like Portage Lakes Brewing, a business that sells wine and beers, to be a place where products could be consumed on site.
“It would become a bar, basically,” he said.
During the meeting, the board also approved:
• asbestos abatements, through Gangle Excavating, at 282 Iris Ave. and 640 Fruit Drive, in the amount of $8,360, which is covered through the Moving Ohio Forward Grant Program;
• the established price of bulk dumped road salt, through the Community University Education Purchasing Association (C.U.E.) program, in the amount of about $40 per ton for 1,600 tons from Cargill Inc. for a total of $63,744. The price reflects a decrease in cost from last year, for a savings of about $7,952, Road Superintendent Lael Stouffer reported;
• the installation of four new insulated garage doors by Magic Garage Door Inc. in the amount of $10,725, at the road garage to make the structure more energy efficient;
• an additional $882 payable to Lightner Tire Co. to cover the remaining cost of the scrap tire recycling program, which took place Nov. 9 for township residents;
• special road closures on Cormany Road; Portage Lakes Drive; State Mill, Longacre, Fruit and Apple drives for the Between the Lakes 5K Race Dec. 7 from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. This a fundraiser for the Coventry Schools Foundation, which funds special teacher projects and supplies, township officials said;
• the purchase of dive-related equipment, through the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Assistance to Firefighters Grant, at a cost of $2,736;
• the submission of a letter to the Portage Lakes Advisory Council in support of efforts for the dredging in and around Portage Lakes to improve water quality and boater safety;
• a certificate to Beckham for 25 years of service with the township and vocally recognized Fire Chief John Dolensky for 24 years of service in Coventry; and
• to close the Coventry Community Senior Center during the week of Christmas.
After the meeting, the board went into an executive session to discuss personnel matters. Following the session, the board promoted Daniel Yaros from senior road laborer to road/maintenance foreman and permanently eliminated the position of senior road laborer.
The next trustees meeting will be the annual holiday meeting and will take place Dec. 12 at 7:30 p.m. at the Coventry Senior Community Center, 335 Willowview Drive.
More Community News
- Derby celebrates 78th year
- Akron City Council OKs Wallhaven project
- Districting proposal making its way to ballot
- Confusion follows Falls Council’s charter change vote
- Boston optimistic with switch to RITA
- Richfield Village officials still considering water tower sites
- Leadership Akron selects members of new class
- Granger firefighters promoted to lieutenant rank
- Sanitarium scrapbook preservation in works
Calendar of Events
- Colin Dussault - 8/3/2015
- “First Tuesday” Dance - 8/4/2015
- Experience the Underground Railroad - 8/4/2015
- Freezing and Canning Workshop - 8/4/2015
- Show and Tell Me a Story: for ages 1-3 - 8/5/2015