South Side News & Notes
Selection process continues for Green fire chief
GREEN — Green’s Civil Service Commission has extended the date for a fire chief to be named.
City Communications Coordinator Valerie Wolford said the new chief would be selected by Dec. 13. She said the Civil Service Commission interviewed three qualified candidates — Randy Raines, Jeff Funai and Greg Morgan — who all are current captains in the Green Fire Department.
She explained Raines, Funai and Morgan met the necessary professional requirements for the position of chief, each passing the testing, and interviewed with Mayor Dick Norton.
Wolford said Raines was offered the position and respectfully declined, so the Civil Service Commission, the body overseeing the hiring process, granted the mayor more time to make a selection.
A decision originally was to be made earlier this month.
She said the appointment decision entirely is up to the mayor, as the chief directly reports to him.
City Council does not vote on his choice, Wolford added.
Fire Chief Bob Calderone announced his retirement in March, when Assistant Chief Kevin Groen became acting chief.
Groen decided not to seek the position permanently, city officials reported.
Foodbank presents Hunger-Free Families campaign
SUMMIT COUNTY — This holiday season the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank will host the annual Hunger-Free Families campaign, running now through Dec. 31. The campaign seeks to inspire the community to come together to take action and help provide food to families struggling with hunger.
Community members can become involved in the fight to end hunger by becoming Hunger Heroes through the Hunger-Free Families campaign. Locally, Hunger Heroes are individuals from hundreds of local companies, nonprofit organizations, governmental bodies, schools, social clubs and faith-based organizations that partner with the Foodbank to host food and funds drives.
Many local partners support the campaign by holding events to raise money and collect food for the Foodbank, including:
• 98.1 WKDD, My 101.7, Rock 106.9 and 640 WHLO will host the Long Haul Against Hunger today, Nov. 22. Live broadcasts from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. and a variety of activities will take place at this drive-by and donate event at Howe Avenue Plaza at Chapel Hill in Cuyahoga Falls and 356 Fighter Group, 4919 Mount Pleasant St. N.W. in Green.
• Double Your Dollar Day is an online promotion on Cyber Monday, Dec. 1. While making holiday purchases online, visit www.akroncantonfood bank.org and make a donation. A Canton-area family will match any dollar donated on Cyber Monday.
• The inaugural Selfless Elf 5K will take place Dec. 21. Participants can dress up in their favorite festive holiday-themed costumes or running gear and run or walk the 3.1-mile course beginning and ending at the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank in Downtown Akron. The race begins at 8 a.m.
• The Foodbank also has eight point-of-purchase partners in Summit County that are selling Foodbank icons for $1. The $1 donated equals 4 meals to those struggling with hunger, according to Foodbank officials. Find Foodbank icons at one of the following locations: Handel’s Homemade Ice Cream and Yogurt — Cuyahoga Falls and Green locations, Old Carolina Barbecue, On Tap at the Harbor, Ron Marhofer Auto Family locations, Save Your Skin Tans, Pancho’s Southwestern Grille, Sweet Frog Premium Frozen Yogurt, Tadpoles & Tiddlers, The Peanut Shoppe and Westside Bakery of Green.
For details, visit www.akroncantonfoodbank.org/hff.aspx or call 330-535-6900.
Barberton License Forfeiture Amnesty Program ending soon
BARBERTON — The Barberton Municipal Court License Forfeiture Amnesty Program has brought in nearly $36,000 in unpaid fines and costs, according to Barberton Municipal Court Clerk Diana Stevenson.
The program allows citizens whose licenses have been forfeited for not paying court fines and costs to pay half of the amounts owed on all traffic and criminal cases in order for the court to release the license forfeiture, according to Stevenson. Defendants must pay the remaining half owed to the court in $50 monthly increments until paid in full. If they do not make timely monthly payments, they will be subject to future license forfeitures, according to Stevenson.
“I encourage people to take advantage of this opportunity,” said Stevenson. “After Dec. 15, 2013, the court will require full payment of fines and costs before the license forfeiture is released.”
According to Stevenson, a variety of payment options are available:
• online at www.cityofbarberton.com/clerkofcourts;
• in-person payments at the Clerk of Courts Office; and
• by mail to Barberton Municipal Court, 576 W. Park Ave., Barberton, OH 44203.
Once payment has been received, the Clerk’s Office will notify the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles the forfeiture has been released and a copy of the release will be mailed to the defendant, according to Stevenson.
For more information, call 330-861-7191.
The court serves the communities of Barberton, Copley, Coventry, Clinton, Green, New Franklin and Norton.
Emily Chesnic, Stephanie Kist and Maria Lindsay contributed to these reports.
More Community News
- Democratic mayoral candidates debate
- Buchtel students visit Kenya via biostatistics program
- Grether resigns, special election needed in Norton
- APD officers engaging in ‘park and walk’ effort
- County looking to become more immigrant-friendly
- West Side News & Notes
- Scouts stage ‘buy-in’ to support Circle K
- Bhutanese community learning about Akron
- Service building project to go out for bids
- Copley to award trash hauler contract next month
- Representative discusses services of Renacci’s office
- Green Council OKs altered zoning change
- City officials clearing land for Central Park
- New Franklin eliminates some split-zoned lots
- CHS construction project on schedule
- Springfield district officials report facility upgrades
- South Side News & Notes
- County looking to become more immigrant-friendly
Calendar of Events
- Downloading with the 3M Cloud Library, eLearning the Easy Way, Excel Basics, Games and Tricks for Android Tablets - 8/29/2015
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 8/29/2015
- Full Moon Paddle - 8/29/2015
- Bad to the Bone with the Whiskey Kings, Hotel California with the Twistoffs - 8/29/2015
- Keepers of the Art Music Showcase - 8/29/2015