Hospice of VNS volunteer wins statewide award
|Photo courtesy of Akron General Hospice of Visiting Nurse Service|
The award recognizes hospice and palliative care volunteers who have promoted or championed hospice in their community and who have demonstrated considerable commitment to hospice, as well as serving as an inspiration to others.
Yeager is shown at right in the photo above serving ice cream and sundaes to patients, families, friends and staff, alongside her friends and fellow volunteers Mary Beth Palmer (at left) and Wayne Matuch (not pictured).
She has accumulated more than 4,000 hours of service during her more than eight years volunteering for Hospice of VNS. In addition to serving ice cream every Tuesday, she also volunteers for Hospice of VNS’ annual Joyful Tastes of Life and Light up a Life fundraisers, as well as assisting with clerical work in the Hospice Care Center, on top of baking 13 dozen cake balls each week for the Family Kitchen at the Hospice Care Center.
Yeager teaches third grade at Holy Family Catholic School and includes her students in her volunteer work at Hospice of VNS — they make favors to brighten patient meal trays. She also volunteers as a craft coordinator at Camp Quality. She is a past WAKR Good Neighbor of the Week.
“We are so fortunate to have Mary Ellen as a member of our Hospice Team and congratulate her on being recognized by our state organization for her outstanding contributions to hospice,” said Manager of Volunteer Services Chris Hinman.
For information on volunteering for Hospice of VNS, call Hinman at 330-668-4650.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 8/30/2014
- “Ride” - 8/30/2014
- Get Acquainted With Bridge - 8/30/2014
- Outdoor Yoga - 8/30/2014
- “Pre-Marathon” Book Sale - 8/30/2014