Hospice of VNS volunteer wins statewide award
|Photo courtesy of Akron General Hospice of Visiting Nurse Service|
The award recognizes hospice and palliative care volunteers who have promoted or championed hospice in their community and who have demonstrated considerable commitment to hospice, as well as serving as an inspiration to others.
Yeager is shown at right in the photo above serving ice cream and sundaes to patients, families, friends and staff, alongside her friends and fellow volunteers Mary Beth Palmer (at left) and Wayne Matuch (not pictured).
She has accumulated more than 4,000 hours of service during her more than eight years volunteering for Hospice of VNS. In addition to serving ice cream every Tuesday, she also volunteers for Hospice of VNS’ annual Joyful Tastes of Life and Light up a Life fundraisers, as well as assisting with clerical work in the Hospice Care Center, on top of baking 13 dozen cake balls each week for the Family Kitchen at the Hospice Care Center.
Yeager teaches third grade at Holy Family Catholic School and includes her students in her volunteer work at Hospice of VNS — they make favors to brighten patient meal trays. She also volunteers as a craft coordinator at Camp Quality. She is a past WAKR Good Neighbor of the Week.
“We are so fortunate to have Mary Ellen as a member of our Hospice Team and congratulate her on being recognized by our state organization for her outstanding contributions to hospice,” said Manager of Volunteer Services Chris Hinman.
For information on volunteering for Hospice of VNS, call Hinman at 330-668-4650.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Civil War Talk: General Sheridan - 10/20/2014
- Akron History Hike: Old Stone School - 10/20/2014
- Amazing World of Bats - 10/21/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014