Hospice of VNS volunteer wins statewide award
|Photo courtesy of Akron General Hospice of Visiting Nurse Service|
The award recognizes hospice and palliative care volunteers who have promoted or championed hospice in their community and who have demonstrated considerable commitment to hospice, as well as serving as an inspiration to others.
Yeager is shown at right in the photo above serving ice cream and sundaes to patients, families, friends and staff, alongside her friends and fellow volunteers Mary Beth Palmer (at left) and Wayne Matuch (not pictured).
She has accumulated more than 4,000 hours of service during her more than eight years volunteering for Hospice of VNS. In addition to serving ice cream every Tuesday, she also volunteers for Hospice of VNS’ annual Joyful Tastes of Life and Light up a Life fundraisers, as well as assisting with clerical work in the Hospice Care Center, on top of baking 13 dozen cake balls each week for the Family Kitchen at the Hospice Care Center.
Yeager teaches third grade at Holy Family Catholic School and includes her students in her volunteer work at Hospice of VNS — they make favors to brighten patient meal trays. She also volunteers as a craft coordinator at Camp Quality. She is a past WAKR Good Neighbor of the Week.
“We are so fortunate to have Mary Ellen as a member of our Hospice Team and congratulate her on being recognized by our state organization for her outstanding contributions to hospice,” said Manager of Volunteer Services Chris Hinman.
For information on volunteering for Hospice of VNS, call Hinman at 330-668-4650.
More Community News
- City plans Rolling Acres demolition
- Hardesty Park event attracts art fans
- Area shines bright during RNC week
- Copley Heritage Days featuring food, music, fun
- Copley students focus on helping North Korean refugees
- West Side News & Notes
- Falls’ leadership responds to police station incident
- Richfield police thankful for support from residents
- Richfield trustees discuss noxious weed enforcement
- Copley trustees weigh police, fire station plans
- Granger fire chief updates trustees on department issues
Calendar of Events
- Downtown @ Dusk: Moustache Yourself - 7/28/2016
- Ryan Humbert - 7/28/2016
- Small Footprint: Upcycling - 7/28/2016
- Drop-In Nature Crafts - 7/28/2016
- “Kung Fu Panda 3” - 7/28/2016