Hospice of VNS volunteer wins statewide award
|Photo courtesy of Akron General Hospice of Visiting Nurse Service|
The award recognizes hospice and palliative care volunteers who have promoted or championed hospice in their community and who have demonstrated considerable commitment to hospice, as well as serving as an inspiration to others.
Yeager is shown at right in the photo above serving ice cream and sundaes to patients, families, friends and staff, alongside her friends and fellow volunteers Mary Beth Palmer (at left) and Wayne Matuch (not pictured).
She has accumulated more than 4,000 hours of service during her more than eight years volunteering for Hospice of VNS. In addition to serving ice cream every Tuesday, she also volunteers for Hospice of VNS’ annual Joyful Tastes of Life and Light up a Life fundraisers, as well as assisting with clerical work in the Hospice Care Center, on top of baking 13 dozen cake balls each week for the Family Kitchen at the Hospice Care Center.
Yeager teaches third grade at Holy Family Catholic School and includes her students in her volunteer work at Hospice of VNS — they make favors to brighten patient meal trays. She also volunteers as a craft coordinator at Camp Quality. She is a past WAKR Good Neighbor of the Week.
“We are so fortunate to have Mary Ellen as a member of our Hospice Team and congratulate her on being recognized by our state organization for her outstanding contributions to hospice,” said Manager of Volunteer Services Chris Hinman.
For information on volunteering for Hospice of VNS, call Hinman at 330-668-4650.
More Community News
- Moneypenny ready to take mayor’s seat
- Copley celebrates Memorial Day
- Founders’ Day will mark AA’s 80th year
- Shy shares credit for park district successes
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley asks Ohio Supreme Court to hear Rothrock appeal
- Historic designation sought for Keyser property
- Copley trustees approve building replacement
- Richfield police chief warns residents about burglars
- Richfield trustees discuss Crowell Hilaka property use
- Council reviews rebids for Central Park
- Green celebrates Memorial Day
- New Franklin sinks idea for Tudor House dock
- Green assistant fire chief retiring
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 5/30/2015
- Yoga for Kids: ages 6-10 - 5/30/2015
- Archery Games for Kids: ages 9-12 - 5/30/2015
- Warm and Hot in Peninsula - 5/30/2015
- Doo Wop Legends in Concert - 5/30/2015