LA Fitness in plans for Portage Crossing
Another health and fitness club is coming to town.
At the Dec. 9 meeting, Cuyahoga Falls City Council introduced legislation that would OK the site plan for an LA Fitness.
LA Fitness is planning to construct a 45,000-square-foot development at 1969 Portage Trail, in the Portage Crossing development, which currently is being constructed at the site of the former State Road Shopping Center, city officials said.
According to the proposed ordinance, the Planning Commission approved the site plan Dec. 3.
City Council will review the plans at the Dec. 16 Planning and Zoning Committee meeting.
Also at the meeting, Council introduced a resolution to commend Don Robart for serving the city as mayor from 1986 to 2013.
Robart lost his re-election bid to current Council President Don Walters (D-Ward 6) in the November General Election.
The proposed legislation outlines all of the success Robart brought to the city during his decades as mayor.
Council additionally introduced several other pieces of new legislation:
- authorizing the Director of Public Service Valerie Wax Carr to enter into a contract for cleaning services at the municipal building;
- authorizing a contract without competitive bidding with River Falls Property II LLC for the sale of certain real property not needed for any municipal purpose;
- authorizing a contract for the demolition of buildings and removal of demolition debris at 2227-2231 Fourth Street;
- authorizing Director of Community Development Susan Truby to make a sub-grant of Clean Ohio Revitalization Fund Grant proceeds to Portage Crossing LLC to provide financial assistance for environmental remediation and site preparation at the Portage Crossing site; and
- authorizing Truby to enter into a Community Reinvestment Area Tax Exemption Agreement jointly with Falls River LLC and Testa Enterprises.
Council also adopted legislation:
√ approving the site plan related to the construction of an 11,250-square-foot addition to an industrial building at 80 Cuyahoga Falls Industrial Parkway;
√ approving the final subdivision plat of the Boulder Estates Phase 3 Subdivision;
√ authorizing a contract without competitive bidding with Weatherproofing Technologies Inc. for a partial roof replacement at the Municipal Building;
√ authorizing a contract without competitive bidding with the Kimble Co. Inc. to extend the term of city contract No. 6432 for a period not to exceed four additional years for the collection of city waste; and
√ approving the Solid Waste Management Plan prepared for ReWorks.
The Finance Committee met to continue to review the proposed city budget for 2014. Falls Councilwoman Carol Klinger (R-at large) said the committee will further review the budget Dec. 16 and 23 at 6:30 p.m. at the Natatorium, 2345 Fourth St.
In other city business, Falls Police Chief Tom Pozza has announced his retirement, effective Dec. 31. According to city reports, Robart is seeking a replacement for Pozza, who has spent 34 years serving the department, with three years spent as chief.
Council will hold committee meetings Dec. 16 and a regular meeting Dec. 23, both at 6:30 p.m., at the Natatorium.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Civil War Talk: General Sheridan - 10/20/2014
- Akron History Hike: Old Stone School - 10/20/2014
- Amazing World of Bats - 10/21/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014