Fairlawn VFW honors local generals at banquet
|Photo courtesy of Fairlawn Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 349|
An audience of 75 guests, including Luis Proenza, president of The University of Akron, attended the dinner at Tangier as each of the generals shared their military experiences.
State Sen. and U.S. Army combat veteran Frank LaRose Jr. (R-District 27) hosted the event and introduced each general, who spoke briefly about assignments and experiences regarding their military careers.
Honored posthumously was four-star Gen. Donn Starry, represented by his wife, Karen. LaRose spoke of the general’s experiences, which included action in World War II, Vietnam (wounded), Cambodia and as commanding officer for V corps (Germany). Later, he formed the Army’s Air & Battle Doctrine, preparing the Army for the 21st century, according to organizers. His last assignment was commander of the U.S. Readiness Command.
In addition, Maj. Gen. Dan Hahn, of Jackson Township, commanded thousands of troops in Iraq during Desert Shield/Storm and was instrumental in developing regulations to help protect American bases around the world, according to VFW officials. Also recognized was Maj. Gen. Don Jenkins, of Bath, who began his career following World War II by flying combat missions during the Korean War. After various assignments, he rose to become the mobilization assistant to the secretary of the Air Force.
Acknowledgements also were given to Brig. Gen. Thomas Luczynski, of Canal Fulton, who was an Army aviator with more than 5,000 flying hours. After various command positions, he finished his Army career by commanding the Troop Command, leading some 4,000 troops. Currently, he flies Medevac helicopters for Air Methods Corp.
Shown above, from left, are Hahn, Luczynski, Karen Starry and Jenkins.
“It was a wonderful evening and a great honor,” said Hahn. “My wife, Carol, and I enjoyed meeting so many great veterans and many great supporters of veterans.”
The honor guard was provided by The University of Akron Army ROTC cadets.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014