Fairlawn VFW honors local generals at banquet
|Photo courtesy of Fairlawn Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 349|
An audience of 75 guests, including Luis Proenza, president of The University of Akron, attended the dinner at Tangier as each of the generals shared their military experiences.
State Sen. and U.S. Army combat veteran Frank LaRose Jr. (R-District 27) hosted the event and introduced each general, who spoke briefly about assignments and experiences regarding their military careers.
Honored posthumously was four-star Gen. Donn Starry, represented by his wife, Karen. LaRose spoke of the general’s experiences, which included action in World War II, Vietnam (wounded), Cambodia and as commanding officer for V corps (Germany). Later, he formed the Army’s Air & Battle Doctrine, preparing the Army for the 21st century, according to organizers. His last assignment was commander of the U.S. Readiness Command.
In addition, Maj. Gen. Dan Hahn, of Jackson Township, commanded thousands of troops in Iraq during Desert Shield/Storm and was instrumental in developing regulations to help protect American bases around the world, according to VFW officials. Also recognized was Maj. Gen. Don Jenkins, of Bath, who began his career following World War II by flying combat missions during the Korean War. After various assignments, he rose to become the mobilization assistant to the secretary of the Air Force.
Acknowledgements also were given to Brig. Gen. Thomas Luczynski, of Canal Fulton, who was an Army aviator with more than 5,000 flying hours. After various command positions, he finished his Army career by commanding the Troop Command, leading some 4,000 troops. Currently, he flies Medevac helicopters for Air Methods Corp.
Shown above, from left, are Hahn, Luczynski, Karen Starry and Jenkins.
“It was a wonderful evening and a great honor,” said Hahn. “My wife, Carol, and I enjoyed meeting so many great veterans and many great supporters of veterans.”
The honor guard was provided by The University of Akron Army ROTC cadets.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Amazing World of Bats - 10/21/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 10/22/2014
- Wine and Canvas Painting Class - 10/22/2014