Winter Solstice event set at Crown Point
BATH — This year’s Winter Solstice, the day in December in the Northern Hemisphere with the least amount of daylight hours, will be Dec. 21, just after noon.
Crown Point Ecology Center, located at 3220 Ira Road, will recognize this part of nature’s ongoing cycles with an annual observance of the Winter Solstice Dec. 15 beginning at 6 p.m. The event will include a discussion and reflective walk through the grounds, with the way lit by luminaria, and refreshments.
“It’s my favorite program of the year,” said Crown Point President and CEO Chris Norman. “We start in the barn, have a discussion about the traditions surrounding the solstice, go for the hike, come back and have hot beverages and desserts.”
This “green space that matters” event demonstrates the practical applications of ecology and connects spirituality, social justice and environmental protection.
“Sister Mariellen will lead us,” said Norman. “This year, Martha Kermizis is helping plan the program, which will include discussion and readings connecting faith and environmental ethic.”
The event is free, but reservations are requested at 330-668-8992.
Crown Point will celebrate its 25th year in 2014. Its 115-acre farmland is a regional model for sustainable agriculture and environmental education, according to Norman.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Civil War Talk: General Sheridan - 10/20/2014
- Akron History Hike: Old Stone School - 10/20/2014
- Amazing World of Bats - 10/21/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014