Winter Solstice event set at Crown Point
BATH — This year’s Winter Solstice, the day in December in the Northern Hemisphere with the least amount of daylight hours, will be Dec. 21, just after noon.
Crown Point Ecology Center, located at 3220 Ira Road, will recognize this part of nature’s ongoing cycles with an annual observance of the Winter Solstice Dec. 15 beginning at 6 p.m. The event will include a discussion and reflective walk through the grounds, with the way lit by luminaria, and refreshments.
“It’s my favorite program of the year,” said Crown Point President and CEO Chris Norman. “We start in the barn, have a discussion about the traditions surrounding the solstice, go for the hike, come back and have hot beverages and desserts.”
This “green space that matters” event demonstrates the practical applications of ecology and connects spirituality, social justice and environmental protection.
“Sister Mariellen will lead us,” said Norman. “This year, Martha Kermizis is helping plan the program, which will include discussion and readings connecting faith and environmental ethic.”
The event is free, but reservations are requested at 330-668-8992.
Crown Point will celebrate its 25th year in 2014. Its 115-acre farmland is a regional model for sustainable agriculture and environmental education, according to Norman.
More Community News
- Council supports ‘Breaking Addiction Act’
- All’s fair at annual Summit County event
- Yellow Creek advocates explore conservancy idea
- Grandmother creates memorial for slain grandson
- Copley Heritage Day set for Aug. 2
- Falls Council continues to mull Menards deal
- Road construction begins on Hines Hill Road
- Granger Fire Department moving forward with grant proposal
- Sharon trustees approve fire levy for November ballot
- Medina County Fair offering variety of activities
- Akron Rotary inducts president
- Sno-cone sale benefits playground project
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Sweet Smell of Success” - 7/31/2014
- Voices in the Valley: Sarah Schaefer and Rebekah Jean - 7/31/2014
- Downtown@Dusk: JD Eicher & The Goodnights - 7/31/2014
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 7/31/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014