Winter Solstice event set at Crown Point
BATH — This year’s Winter Solstice, the day in December in the Northern Hemisphere with the least amount of daylight hours, will be Dec. 21, just after noon.
Crown Point Ecology Center, located at 3220 Ira Road, will recognize this part of nature’s ongoing cycles with an annual observance of the Winter Solstice Dec. 15 beginning at 6 p.m. The event will include a discussion and reflective walk through the grounds, with the way lit by luminaria, and refreshments.
“It’s my favorite program of the year,” said Crown Point President and CEO Chris Norman. “We start in the barn, have a discussion about the traditions surrounding the solstice, go for the hike, come back and have hot beverages and desserts.”
This “green space that matters” event demonstrates the practical applications of ecology and connects spirituality, social justice and environmental protection.
“Sister Mariellen will lead us,” said Norman. “This year, Martha Kermizis is helping plan the program, which will include discussion and readings connecting faith and environmental ethic.”
The event is free, but reservations are requested at 330-668-8992.
Crown Point will celebrate its 25th year in 2014. Its 115-acre farmland is a regional model for sustainable agriculture and environmental education, according to Norman.
More Community News
- Girls explore engineering careers
- County consumer protection gets attention
- Crown Point celebrating 25th year
- Local Women Who Care hoping to increase ranks
- Firestone Theatre one of first to stage ‘Mary Poppins’
- ACF announces record assets, awards $1.93 million in grants
- Akron Council voices opposition to ‘restrictive’ state bills
- Bath trustees hire staff for fire department
- Boston trustees discuss action to clear property
- Wadsworth judge presents annual report to Sharon trustees
- West Side News & Notes
- County’s consumer protection gets attention
- Green district celebrates education
- Springfield trustees eyeing new pumper
- Local man impacts mental health training worldwide
- Green students Do Something good
- Lakemore making progress with village deficit
- Jewish Community Board celebrates century
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Widows and Widowers Under 50 - 3/12/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 3/12/2014
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 3/13/2014
- St. Pat’s Benefit Card Party - 3/13/2014
- Revere Relay for Life Night - 3/13/2014