2013 Shop With a Cop serves Norton community
The student participants this year were Adreonna Hickman, Isaiah Gordon, Annabelle Ingham, Lily Ray, Kate Ray, J’Quan Vince, Shavonne Sensor, Deanna Byrd, Eva Ray and Samuel Hickman.
The group from this year’s trip is shown above.
Each student received a $110 Wal-Mart gift card that was used to purchase gifts for their families and something for themselves. After shopping, the children were treated to a lunch with the officers at Lakeview Intermediate School in Stow. Each family also received a $50 Acme gift card donated by the Norton Women’s Club.
Thirty-one Summit County Law Enforcement agencies participated in the annual event with a 15-minute procession from the school to the shopping plaza.
After returning from shopping, the officers and students met up with the Norton Kiwanis, whose members helped wrapped all the gifts.
More than $1,800 was raised for this event.
In addition, the 2013 Norton Safety Forces Food Drive was organized by the Norton Police FOP 119 and Norton Fire Local 26. Donations are shown below.
Officers who volunteered included Chief Mike Schultz; Lt. Roger Ramstellar; firefighters Joe Kungel and William Sandman; Dalessandro and patrolmen Weiss, Starling, Dennis McDonald, Besse, McShane, Sams, Vari and William Braman; and Fisher.
In nine hours this year, the safety forces collected $1,000 and a large amount of nonperishable food items. All the money that was collected will be dispersed in $50 Acme gift cards to families in need and also the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank to purchase items in need, according to organizers.
|Photos courtesy of Brett McShane|
More Community News
- Portage Crossing coming to life
- Glowing lights shine at Holiday Tree Festival
- Norton police chief sworn in
- Akron addressing daytime burglaries
- Wanted: Holiday volunteers
- Council supports grant application for Richfield site
- Skaters, hockey players to benefit from plow purchase
- Richfield reviewing proposed guidelines for historic district
- Richfield trustees review proposals for police, fire contracts
- Granger trustees agree Brenelle Lane should not be terminated
- Turkeys common in Metro Parks
- West Side News & Notes
- Residents want safer Myersville Road
- Coventry Fire helping those in need
- New Franklin officials address increasing revenue
- Council supports grant application for Coventry bog
- Akron Council committee supports Safe Routes to School plan
- ‘Light up a Life’ benefits Hospice of VNS
- Akron Children’s Pediatrics in Green moves
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- History Hike - 11/28/2014
- After Thanksgiving Hike - 11/28/2014
- Brent Kirby and His Luck with Rebecca Wohlever - 11/28/2014
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club - 11/28/2014
- A New Adventure - 11/29/2014