Akron events celebrate Kwanzaa
Kwame Williams, of Akron, is pictured above as he plays the djembe drum.
Among those who attended the first night of Kwanzaa event were, pictured below, from left, Keyon Lee, 10, Koriyea Lee, 8, and Kanye Lee, 10, and, in front, Kaliyauna Lee, 13. The siblings took part in the event with their mother.
Other events took place at Mount Calvary Baptist Church, the Alpha Phi Alpha Center, Helen Arnold Community Learning Center, Centenary United Methodist Church and Weathervane Playhouse. For the final day, Jan. 1, celebrants marked the day at home with family and friends.
Kwanzaa focuses on the seven core principles aimed at reconnecting African Americans with their African culture and historical heritage. Local events were coordinated by the Akron African-American Cultural Association.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014
- “Shout! The Mod Musical” - 8/2/2014