Akron events celebrate Kwanzaa
Kwame Williams, of Akron, is pictured above as he plays the djembe drum.
Among those who attended the first night of Kwanzaa event were, pictured below, from left, Keyon Lee, 10, Koriyea Lee, 8, and Kanye Lee, 10, and, in front, Kaliyauna Lee, 13. The siblings took part in the event with their mother.
Other events took place at Mount Calvary Baptist Church, the Alpha Phi Alpha Center, Helen Arnold Community Learning Center, Centenary United Methodist Church and Weathervane Playhouse. For the final day, Jan. 1, celebrants marked the day at home with family and friends.
Kwanzaa focuses on the seven core principles aimed at reconnecting African Americans with their African culture and historical heritage. Local events were coordinated by the Akron African-American Cultural Association.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Community News
- County notes success of Gay Games
- Copley fathers, sons hike Grand Canyon rim to rim
- Fairlawn updating rental, housing code
- Church offering English as second language classes
- Medina County hiking program begins Sept. 1
- Bath board approves road improvements, trail construction
- Boston officials discuss new safety measures
- Sharon Fire adding new shift
- Red Cross names interim chapter executive
- JLA accepts grant for Kids in the Kitchen project
- West Side News & Notes
- Coventry to further fund flood mitigation
- Local man ‘model’ citizen with building hobby
- County Council notes success of Gay Games
- Cottage Grove School set for demolition
- Kick for The Cure benefiting Camp Quality, hospice
- Springfield trustees seeking to reduce water/sewer bills further
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Saturday Dance and Gymnastics - 8/23/2014
- Sixth Medina International Fest - 8/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 8/23/2014
- “Relatively Speaking” by Alan Ayckbourn - 8/24/2014
- Hudson Stamp Show - 8/24/2014