First Night ushers in happy new year
Initial attendance figures are estimated based on the clicker totals of the venues, according to DAP officials. Complete attendance figures will be available today, Jan. 3, after collection of sales information is complete.
Ten downtown sites were filled with more than 80 artists and groups showcasing music, dance, theater and interactive and visual arts. Several new and engaging artists and activities made their debut, such as Shivering Timbers, Smokin’ Fez Monkeys and Ohio Mobile Gaming video game trailer. Annual favorites like Hard Days Night and O’Hare School of Irish Dance returned to entertain revelers of all ages.
The Mainstage was set up on South Main between the Akron Civic Theatre and Lock 3 Park and featured two fireworks countdown shows. The children’s fireworks show, shown below, took place at 9 p.m. following a performance from Zobapago. The midnight fireworks, shown above, capped off the evening after a performance by fire entertainers the Ohio Burn Unit and the Gospel Meets Symphony Choir.
For the second year, a collaboration of community voices participated with the crowd as part of the countdown finale show at midnight. Long-time supporter METRO RTA provided bus shuttles, keeping crowds warm while moving from venue to venue. Also, for the first time in a decade, the Akron Art Museum opened all galleries to First Night attendees, according to DAP officials.
— By Kathleen Collins
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- Mr. Bubble - 7/22/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 7/22/2014
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014