Springfield trustees close 2013, prepare for 2014
The Springfield Township Board of Trustees held its last regular meeting of the year Dec. 26 to close the books on 2013 and hold an organizational meeting to prepare for 2014.
During the regular meeting, trustees approved the renewal of a policing contract with Lakemore Village for 2014, at a cost of $39,752 per month. Fiscal Officer Joy Dies said the cost is almost $2,000 less than last year because the village will take over invoicing Springfield Local School District for the school resource officer. The contract, first approved in 2009, delivers police service to the village through the Springfield Police Department.
In other business, trustees:
- agreed to hire Daniel Gravila as parks building and grounds specialist at the rate of $22.25 per hour and Daniel Silverstrom as parks operator at the rate of $17 per hour, both effective Jan. 13, after adjourning into executive session for one hour to discuss the matter;
- approved then and now purchase orders of $4,811 for the Police Department and $3,541 for the Road Department to SummaCare for January health insurance premiums;
- approved a payment of $5,091 for All American Fire Equipment for the repairs to unit No. 3119;
- approved a supplemental appropriation for the reallocation of $3,541 in the Road and Bridge Fund;
- accepted the resignation of Alison Capoun from the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). The board then appointed BZA alternate member Larry Allphin to replace Capoun and fill the remainder of her five-year term ending Dec. 31, 2018; and
- approved the appointment of Zoning Commission alternate member Tracy Cunningham to replace Barry Ganoe for a five-year term on the Zoning Commission ending May 20, 2015.
Trustees also agreed to appoint Trustee Dean Young as chairman of the board and Deborah Davis as vice chairman for 2014. The organizational meeting followed the regular meeting, with trustees approving a 23-section of operations guidelines, with most remaining the same as last year except for minor modifications, according to Dies.
The next regular meeting will take place Jan. 9 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 10/22/2014
- Wine and Canvas Painting Class - 10/22/2014
- “Godzilla” - 10/23/2014