Winter warms up at Akron Zoo
|Photos: Dale Dong|
During the first program Jan. 4, children enjoyed crafts and special activities in Komodo Kingdom, as well as hot chocolate. Among the participants was Sam Freeman, 5, of Copley, who is shown at right top with the paper owl he created.
Zoo volunteer Dean Thayer is shown above as he talks about how animals cope with cold weather with Kerrie Gee and her children Jack Gee, 8, and Willow Gee, 6, of Stow.
While the event takes place indoors, zoo visitors can also trek outside to see how some of the zoo’s animals fare in the cold. Pictured at right bottom is zookeeper Lisa Melnik as she feeds the zoo’s red panda, Zheng. A zookeeper or naturalist will be on hand to talk about a specific animal at 1 p.m. during the Cabin Fever Reliever, according to zoo officials.
Cabin Fever Reliever takes place on Saturdays in January from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the zoo, 500 Edgewood Ave. The event is included with zoo admission, which is $7 per person and free to those younger than 2. The zoo’s winter hours are 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, visit www.akronzoo.org or call 330-375-2550.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- Council OKs $450 million capital budget
- Chili Open golfers warm up for spring
- Summit County Council welcomes Walters
- Aggregation, personnel on Akron ballots
- Roundtable staying true to mission
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley Boy Scout troop celebrating 60 years
- Two Fairlawn Fire officers promoted during Council meeting
- Norton continues discussion of Nash Heights project
- Copley trustees approve funds for road repairs
- Falls addressing issues at Broad Boulevard railroad crossing
- Richfield Village celebrating 50th anniversary next year
- Richfield trustees get update on antidrug programs
- Granger trustees approve budget for 2016
Calendar of Events
- Adult Ceramic Project Class - 2/11/2016
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra - 2/11/2016
- Yoga in the Park - 2/11/2016
- Teen Advisory Board - 2/11/2016
- “Intruder in the Dust”: - 2/11/2016