Winter warms up at Akron Zoo
|Photos: Dale Dong|
During the first program Jan. 4, children enjoyed crafts and special activities in Komodo Kingdom, as well as hot chocolate. Among the participants was Sam Freeman, 5, of Copley, who is shown at right top with the paper owl he created.
Zoo volunteer Dean Thayer is shown above as he talks about how animals cope with cold weather with Kerrie Gee and her children Jack Gee, 8, and Willow Gee, 6, of Stow.
While the event takes place indoors, zoo visitors can also trek outside to see how some of the zoo’s animals fare in the cold. Pictured at right bottom is zookeeper Lisa Melnik as she feeds the zoo’s red panda, Zheng. A zookeeper or naturalist will be on hand to talk about a specific animal at 1 p.m. during the Cabin Fever Reliever, according to zoo officials.
Cabin Fever Reliever takes place on Saturdays in January from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the zoo, 500 Edgewood Ave. The event is included with zoo admission, which is $7 per person and free to those younger than 2. The zoo’s winter hours are 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, visit www.akronzoo.org or call 330-375-2550.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Windows 8 - 7/29/2014
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014