Cuyahoga Falls Council selects president
At the Jan. 6 Cuyahoga Falls City Council organizational meeting, Councilwoman Mary Ellen Pyke (R-Ward 2) was elected president by the Republican-dominated Council.
Councilman Vincent Rubino (D-Ward 1) also was nominated for the position. Pyke received six votes and Rubino received five, according to city officials.
The meeting began with Mayor Don Walters, a Democrat and newly elected, swearing in the City Council members whom also were elected or re-elected in the Nov. 5 General Election.
Council members Pyke, Rubino, Vic Pallotta (R-Ward 3), Bob Weinhardt (R-Ward 4), Paul Colavecchio (D-Ward 5), Gary DeRemer (D-Ward 6), Jerry James (D-Ward 7), Terry Mader (R-Ward 8), Carol Klinger (R-at large) and Jeff Iula (R-at large) all took the oath of office.
Walters also swore in the new Council Clerk Paul Janis, who served as the law director for the city under former Mayor Don Robart, Rubino said.
Additionally during the meeting, Iula was elected president pro tem, Pallotta was named sergeant of arms and Mader was selected to serve as chaplain, Rubino confirmed.
As approved by Council, as well, Klinger will serve as chair of the Finance Committee, Iula as chair of the Public Improvements Committee, Mader as chair of the Planning and Zoning Committee, Weinhardt as chair of the Community Development Committee and Pallotta as chair of the Public Affairs Committee, Rubino said.
Also during the meeting, members approved Walters’ cabinet appointments of Eric Czetli as service director, Russ Balthis as law director, Bryan Hoffman as finance director and Diane Sheridan as development director, he said.
Council will hold a regular meeting Jan. 13 at 6:30 p.m. at the Natatorium, 2345 Fourth St.
More Community News
- Akron mayor hints at future plans
- STVM rocketry students aiming for new heights
- Council disagrees on changing felon hiring policy
- Customers may get break on sewer fees
- Akron Urban League turns 90 this year
- West Side News & Notes
- City making plans to widen South Cleveland-Massillon Road
- Falls Council approves 2015 resurfacing program
- Norton Council discussing future pump station site
- Residents hope to overturn trusteesí approval of zoning change
- Richfield officials encourage help for Project Pride Cleanup
- Richfield trustees approve revised employee handbook
- Trustees introduced to new medication dispensing program
- Bath Elementary studentís cabbage earns him scholarship
Calendar of Events
- Adventurers of the Year Amy and Dave Freeman - 3/27/2015
- Alice Tan Ridley - 3/27/2015
- Astronomy Club of Akron: NASA Chief Pilot Alan Mickelwright - 3/27/2015
- Brass Band of the Western Reserve - 3/28/2015
- Basket Weaving 101: Easter Basket - 3/28/2015