Richfield trustees begin year with new business
Richfield Township Trustee Janet Jankura was appointed chairperson of the board at the Jan. 2 meeting.
She was joined on the board by new members Bob Luther and Jeff Shupe, who were elected in November.
Jankura also was selected as the trustee liaison to the Zoning Department and the township’s representative on the Joint Economic Development District (JEDD) Board. She also will be chairperson of the Records Commission.
Luther was selected to be the trustee liaison for parks and recreation, waste and recycling, and the Road Department.
Shupe will be the liaison for insurance, Workers’ Compensation, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, media, personnel policy review, storm water, and police and fire contracts.
The trustees also approved the township’s holiday schedule. It includes New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Township employees also will have six floating holidays at their disposal.
The trustees also decided to keep their current meeting schedule and continue to meet the first Thursday of the month at 10 a.m. and the third Thursday at 6:30 p.m.
In other business:
- The trustees approved a preliminary budget of $1.1 million to start the new year. This figure represents one-third of the 2013 budget, according to township officials.
- The trustees agreed to add a fee to the zoning certificate fee schedule. Commercial parking lots will require a zoning certificate fee of 5 cents per square foot.
- The trustees agreed to send Zoning Inspector Laurie Pinney and Luther to the Ohio Township Association Winter Conference later this month.
In other news:
√ Pinney reported the township issued certificates for 13 new residences in 2013.
The Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) will meet Jan. 20 at 7 p.m. at the Town Hall in the Village Council chambers.
Pinney also reported there are openings on the BZA for one full member for a five-year term and two alternates for a one-year team. The same openings are available on the Zoning Commission, she said.
In addition, Pinney said she will move forward in dealing with a zoning violation on Black Road, in a situation that “we thought had been put to bed.”
√ Administrative Assistant Debbie Bluso Rogers reported the north parking lot at Rising Valley Park is in poor condition.
Rogers also reported the architects at GPD Group will not charge the township for a second set of building bids after the first rounds of bids came in much higher than the trustees expected.
√ Township Administrator Linda Bowmer said the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) salt loader recently broke down. This forced the township to buy salt and place it in its old dome, which has not yet been dismantled. The ODOT loader has since been fixed, Bowmer said.
Bowmer also said township residents will receive a lower natural gas rate of 4.38 per thousand cubic feet (mcf) from February 2014 to September 2015. She said township residents should ignore letters about natural gas aggregation, since they are meant for village residents with the same ZIP code.
The trustees met for a work session Jan. 6 with Richfield Village officials to discuss the proposed annexation of 125 acres in the Briarwood area to the village. The trustees agreed at the Jan. 2 meeting to have the Summit County Prosecutor’s Office represent the township in this matter.
The next Richfield trustees’ meeting is scheduled for Jan. 16 at 6:30 p.m. at the township offices, located behind the fire station on West Streetsboro Road.
More Community News
- City plans Rolling Acres demolition
- Hardesty Park event attracts art fans
- Area shines bright during RNC week
- Copley Heritage Days featuring food, music, fun
- Copley students focus on helping North Korean refugees
- West Side News & Notes
- Falls’ leadership responds to police station incident
- Richfield police thankful for support from residents
- Richfield trustees discuss noxious weed enforcement
- Copley trustees weigh police, fire station plans
- Granger fire chief updates trustees on department issues
Calendar of Events
- GriefCare Place - 7/28/2016
- Downtown @ Dusk: Moustache Yourself - 7/28/2016
- Small Footprint: Upcycling - 7/28/2016
- “Kung Fu Panda 3” - 7/28/2016
- Kathleen Worgul, Carol Klingel, Marjorie Dettling - 7/29/2016