Sharon trustees approve budget for 2014
The Sharon Board of Trustees held an organizational meeting Jan. 5, and following a review of all of the appropriations approved a budget for 2014.
Before the trustees voted, a detailed review of the appropriations status was held specifying resources, expenditures and balances for all funds in the township.
Fiscal Officer Anita Haas explained an estimated 2014 total for all resources for Sharon, according to the Budget Commission of Medina County, is about $4 million. She said this total includes unencumbered balances, property taxes and resources for the General Fund, the Motor Vehicle License Fund, the Gasoline Tax Fund, the Road and Bridge Fund, the Fire Levy Fund, the Permissive Motor Vehicle Fund, the Special Assessments Fund, the Fire/Rescue/EMS Fund, the Permanent Cemetery Fund and the Cemetery Fund.
Zoning Inspector Neil Jones reviewed zoning activity for 2013. He reported the Zoning Department handled a total of 151 applications, totaling about $32,180. He said this included 27 single-family home permits, 19 pool permits and 20 conditional applications, among others.
Fire Chief Robert Haas presented projects for the 2014 budget totaling approximately $185,000. He said some of these projects included a loose equipment purchase, a power cot and load system, a John Deere Gator and a new pickup truck, among others. The board approved his request for all of the Fire Department’s purchases.
Also at the meeting, the board approved the following:
- the appointment of Trustee Ray Lurtz as chair of the board and Trustee Kimberly Bolas Miller as vice chair for 2014;
- a 2 percent raise for all employees except elected officials, Medina County Sheriff’s Office deputies and zoning personnel, as recommended during an executive session;
- the appointment of Don Hammond, Christina Berry and Alex Teresko to the Zoning Commission;
- the appointment of Jeff Haag, John Jones and Mark Fungeld to the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA); and
- to pay a $4,098 bill to the city of Wadsworth for the township’s streetlights.
In other business:
√ Assistant Zoning Inspector Melissa Hydel announced January’s Zoning Commission meeting is scheduled for Jan. 16 at 7:15 p.m. at the Sharon Township Administration Building, located at 1322 Sharon-Copley Road on Sharon Circle.
√ Fiscal Officer Haas reported she received a letter from the Medina County Recorder’s Office stating the filing of zoning amendments in the township to the Recorder’s Office is a requirement.
The next Sharon Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for Jan. 28 at 7 p.m. at the Administration Building. A rezoning meeting will take place at 6:30 p.m.
More Community News
- Akron proposes city construction company
- Flowers herald coming spring
- County joining fight against mail sorting office closure
- Woodridge ‘big loser’ in proposed state budget
- New Revere superintendent ready for challenge
- West Side News & Notes
- Summit County marking 175 years
- Women’s Endowment Fund awards grants
- Presentation on student use of electronics planned
- Peninsula library offering March classes
- BVS hosting blood drive
- Bath OKs raise for park employees with additional training
- Boston facing salt shortage
- Altrusa International hosting prom dress event
- Wadsworth judge presents annual report
Calendar of Events
- Creative Writing for Homeschoolers - 3/5/2015
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra - 3/5/2015
- “The Boxtrolls” - 3/5/2015
- Paws and Prayers’ Paws Vegas - 3/6/2015
- Homeschoolers: Green Thumbs - 3/6/2015