Sharon trustees approve budget for 2014
The Sharon Board of Trustees held an organizational meeting Jan. 5, and following a review of all of the appropriations approved a budget for 2014.
Before the trustees voted, a detailed review of the appropriations status was held specifying resources, expenditures and balances for all funds in the township.
Fiscal Officer Anita Haas explained an estimated 2014 total for all resources for Sharon, according to the Budget Commission of Medina County, is about $4 million. She said this total includes unencumbered balances, property taxes and resources for the General Fund, the Motor Vehicle License Fund, the Gasoline Tax Fund, the Road and Bridge Fund, the Fire Levy Fund, the Permissive Motor Vehicle Fund, the Special Assessments Fund, the Fire/Rescue/EMS Fund, the Permanent Cemetery Fund and the Cemetery Fund.
Zoning Inspector Neil Jones reviewed zoning activity for 2013. He reported the Zoning Department handled a total of 151 applications, totaling about $32,180. He said this included 27 single-family home permits, 19 pool permits and 20 conditional applications, among others.
Fire Chief Robert Haas presented projects for the 2014 budget totaling approximately $185,000. He said some of these projects included a loose equipment purchase, a power cot and load system, a John Deere Gator and a new pickup truck, among others. The board approved his request for all of the Fire Department’s purchases.
Also at the meeting, the board approved the following:
- the appointment of Trustee Ray Lurtz as chair of the board and Trustee Kimberly Bolas Miller as vice chair for 2014;
- a 2 percent raise for all employees except elected officials, Medina County Sheriff’s Office deputies and zoning personnel, as recommended during an executive session;
- the appointment of Don Hammond, Christina Berry and Alex Teresko to the Zoning Commission;
- the appointment of Jeff Haag, John Jones and Mark Fungeld to the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA); and
- to pay a $4,098 bill to the city of Wadsworth for the township’s streetlights.
In other business:
√ Assistant Zoning Inspector Melissa Hydel announced January’s Zoning Commission meeting is scheduled for Jan. 16 at 7:15 p.m. at the Sharon Township Administration Building, located at 1322 Sharon-Copley Road on Sharon Circle.
√ Fiscal Officer Haas reported she received a letter from the Medina County Recorder’s Office stating the filing of zoning amendments in the township to the Recorder’s Office is a requirement.
The next Sharon Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for Jan. 28 at 7 p.m. at the Administration Building. A rezoning meeting will take place at 6:30 p.m.
More Community News
- Council compromises on felon hiring effort
- Spring signals opening of train depot, caboose
- Medina County human services levy on ballot
- Soap Box Derby entering new era
- Fairlawn app offers information on city
- West Side News & Notes
- Norton Council, residents discuss sewer line hookups
- City tanker to transport water to Cuyahoga Falls residents
- Peninsula Village opts out of county paving bid program
- Richfield revamping village parking lot
- Boston officials further discuss JEDD tax collection
- Granger Fire Department expands staffing hours
- Women’s History Project honors women
- Camp offers taste of summer
- Revenue needed to keep Coventry viable
- Camp provides taste of summer
- Council declares intent to relocate former schoolhouse
- Coventry district pushing for levy renewal
- Two Manchester renewal levies on ballot
- South Side News & Notes
- Springfield officials continue review of rezoning request
- Akron compromises on legislation
- Soap Box Derby entering new era
Calendar of Events
- Cardio Hike - 4/18/2015
- Thyme for Dinner: Upcycled - 4/18/2015
- Archery Games for Teens - 4/18/2015
- BBB Secure Your ID Day shredding event - 4/18/2015
- Highland Middle School Art Show - 4/18/2015