New school unveiled
Shown above, from left, during one of those ceremonies are: former Springfield Board of Education member Neal Hess; current members Cindy Collins and Dave Hofer; Superintendent William Stauffer; board members Mary Lou Dodson, Bobby Dinkins and Glenn Wieland; and Dave Mash, representing his late wife, Juile Mash, who died while serving as a board member in 2011.
Shown at right top is Lt. Gov. and Ohio Department of Insurance Director Mary Taylor, who is a Springfield High School graduate. She attended the event as a guest speaker and took part in another ribbon-cutting ceremony that included Lakemore Mayor Rick Justice, Springfield Trustee Chairman Dean Young, Building Advisory Committee Chairperson John Frola, Summit County Councilwoman Paula Prentice (D-District 8) and Summit County Executive Russ Pry.
The Spartaneers, the high school choir directed by Ashley Fraley, performed at the event, and tours of the new school building were offered to the community.
Pictured below is a view from the second-floor balcony that shows the school logo incorporated into the floor.
Shown at right bottom is a view of some classrooms that have hallway space for collaborative work.
Students and staff took their seats in the new building Jan. 8 after the district extended the holiday break for two days due to severe cold weather.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Civil War Talk: General Sheridan - 10/20/2014
- Akron History Hike: Old Stone School - 10/20/2014
- Amazing World of Bats - 10/21/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014