New school unveiled
Shown above, from left, during one of those ceremonies are: former Springfield Board of Education member Neal Hess; current members Cindy Collins and Dave Hofer; Superintendent William Stauffer; board members Mary Lou Dodson, Bobby Dinkins and Glenn Wieland; and Dave Mash, representing his late wife, Juile Mash, who died while serving as a board member in 2011.
Shown at right top is Lt. Gov. and Ohio Department of Insurance Director Mary Taylor, who is a Springfield High School graduate. She attended the event as a guest speaker and took part in another ribbon-cutting ceremony that included Lakemore Mayor Rick Justice, Springfield Trustee Chairman Dean Young, Building Advisory Committee Chairperson John Frola, Summit County Councilwoman Paula Prentice (D-District 8) and Summit County Executive Russ Pry.
The Spartaneers, the high school choir directed by Ashley Fraley, performed at the event, and tours of the new school building were offered to the community.
Pictured below is a view from the second-floor balcony that shows the school logo incorporated into the floor.
Shown at right bottom is a view of some classrooms that have hallway space for collaborative work.
Students and staff took their seats in the new building Jan. 8 after the district extended the holiday break for two days due to severe cold weather.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Portage Crossing coming to life
- Glowing lights shine at Holiday Tree Festival
- Norton police chief sworn in
- Akron addressing daytime burglaries
- Wanted: Holiday volunteers
- Council supports grant application for Richfield site
- Skaters, hockey players to benefit from plow purchase
- Richfield reviewing proposed guidelines for historic district
- Richfield trustees review proposals for police, fire contracts
- Granger trustees agree Brenelle Lane should not be terminated
- Turkeys common in Metro Parks
- West Side News & Notes
- Residents want safer Myersville Road
- Coventry Fire helping those in need
- New Franklin officials address increasing revenue
- Council supports grant application for Coventry bog
- Akron Council committee supports Safe Routes to School plan
- ‘Light up a Life’ benefits Hospice of VNS
- Akron Children’s Pediatrics in Green moves
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 11/29/2014
- A New Beginning - 11/29/2014
- Boy=Girl - 11/29/2014
- Gingerbread House of Hope to benefit Everybody EATS - 11/29/2014
- Gentle Yoga for Seniors - 11/29/2014