New school unveiled
Shown above, from left, during one of those ceremonies are: former Springfield Board of Education member Neal Hess; current members Cindy Collins and Dave Hofer; Superintendent William Stauffer; board members Mary Lou Dodson, Bobby Dinkins and Glenn Wieland; and Dave Mash, representing his late wife, Juile Mash, who died while serving as a board member in 2011.
Shown at right top is Lt. Gov. and Ohio Department of Insurance Director Mary Taylor, who is a Springfield High School graduate. She attended the event as a guest speaker and took part in another ribbon-cutting ceremony that included Lakemore Mayor Rick Justice, Springfield Trustee Chairman Dean Young, Building Advisory Committee Chairperson John Frola, Summit County Councilwoman Paula Prentice (D-District 8) and Summit County Executive Russ Pry.
The Spartaneers, the high school choir directed by Ashley Fraley, performed at the event, and tours of the new school building were offered to the community.
Pictured below is a view from the second-floor balcony that shows the school logo incorporated into the floor.
Shown at right bottom is a view of some classrooms that have hallway space for collaborative work.
Students and staff took their seats in the new building Jan. 8 after the district extended the holiday break for two days due to severe cold weather.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Bath parks levy renewal on May ballot
- Area communities offering Safety Town
- Woodridge studying future of school buildings
- Council OKs new Dollar General in Merriman Valley
- Youth employment program getting on its way
- Falls Council OKs purchase for Electrical Department
- Norton Council accepts Moving Ohio Forward funds
- Boston trustees take step to clear property
- Sharon trustees discuss recent township break-ins
- Granger trustees approve tax abatement guidelines
- KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
- LaRose honors local youth
- YMCAs presenting Healthy Kids Day
- Montrose transportation meeting set for May 15
- United Way announces education investments, new funding strategy
- West Side News & Notes
- Green district seeking levy renewal
- Children celebrate Easter early
- Board strikes deal to keep fitness center running
- Springfield officer honored for service
- Grant possibility could increase police presence in Coventry
- Youth employment program on its way
- Rebuilding Together to improve nine area homes
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 4/23/2014
- Jeri Holland - 4/23/2014
- Blue Man Group - 4/23/2014
- Apollo’s Fire - 4/24/2014
- “Bye Bye Birdie” - 4/24/2014