New school unveiled
Shown above, from left, during one of those ceremonies are: former Springfield Board of Education member Neal Hess; current members Cindy Collins and Dave Hofer; Superintendent William Stauffer; board members Mary Lou Dodson, Bobby Dinkins and Glenn Wieland; and Dave Mash, representing his late wife, Juile Mash, who died while serving as a board member in 2011.
Shown at right top is Lt. Gov. and Ohio Department of Insurance Director Mary Taylor, who is a Springfield High School graduate. She attended the event as a guest speaker and took part in another ribbon-cutting ceremony that included Lakemore Mayor Rick Justice, Springfield Trustee Chairman Dean Young, Building Advisory Committee Chairperson John Frola, Summit County Councilwoman Paula Prentice (D-District 8) and Summit County Executive Russ Pry.
The Spartaneers, the high school choir directed by Ashley Fraley, performed at the event, and tours of the new school building were offered to the community.
Pictured below is a view from the second-floor balcony that shows the school logo incorporated into the floor.
Shown at right bottom is a view of some classrooms that have hallway space for collaborative work.
Students and staff took their seats in the new building Jan. 8 after the district extended the holiday break for two days due to severe cold weather.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- APS superintendent touts academy concept
- Polar Bear Jumpers take plunge for good
- Gas pump stickers protect against ‘skimming’
- Staying safe when selling online
- State Sen. Sykes focused on local needs
- West Side News & Notes
- Fairlawn going out for bid on concrete slab program
- Bath trustees expecting faster internet
- Trustees OK conditional use of barns as event centers
- Court honors Cacioppo, Davis
- Wadsworth judge presents Sharon trustees with yearly report
- Akron-Canton Foodbank welcomes new board members
Calendar of Events
- Wine and Canvas Night - 2/24/2017
- Men’s Choral Festival Closing Concert - 2/24/2017
- Tai Chi Chuan and San Da Self Defense - 2/24/2017
- Ballroom Nights - 2/24/2017
- Tales for Tots: ages 3-6 - 2/24/2017