New school unveiled
Shown above, from left, during one of those ceremonies are: former Springfield Board of Education member Neal Hess; current members Cindy Collins and Dave Hofer; Superintendent William Stauffer; board members Mary Lou Dodson, Bobby Dinkins and Glenn Wieland; and Dave Mash, representing his late wife, Juile Mash, who died while serving as a board member in 2011.
Shown at right top is Lt. Gov. and Ohio Department of Insurance Director Mary Taylor, who is a Springfield High School graduate. She attended the event as a guest speaker and took part in another ribbon-cutting ceremony that included Lakemore Mayor Rick Justice, Springfield Trustee Chairman Dean Young, Building Advisory Committee Chairperson John Frola, Summit County Councilwoman Paula Prentice (D-District 8) and Summit County Executive Russ Pry.
The Spartaneers, the high school choir directed by Ashley Fraley, performed at the event, and tours of the new school building were offered to the community.
Pictured below is a view from the second-floor balcony that shows the school logo incorporated into the floor.
Shown at right bottom is a view of some classrooms that have hallway space for collaborative work.
Students and staff took their seats in the new building Jan. 8 after the district extended the holiday break for two days due to severe cold weather.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- State Route 18 projects to begin in summer
- Copley’s Winterfest puts fun on ice
- APS exploring funds for waiting building projects
- Richfield Council delays water tower vote
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council committee chairs questioned
- Akron City Council evaluates capital budget
- Fairlawn mayor calls city’s financial condition ‘sound’
- Norton looking to sink sewer costs
- Falls Council reappoints member to library board
- Bath trustees approve sale of fire department vehicle
- Peninsula Council on third try makes quorum for meeting
- Copley exploring contract with single trash hauler
- Richfield trustees approve fire/EMS contract
- Granger trustees hear presentation on fire prevention
- County Council opposing pipeline
- Cub Scouts get creative for Chariot Races
- Coventry goes with reduced ballot issue
- Norton gives final State of the City address
- Council considers Tudor House addition
- Springfield trustees approve application for Spartan Trail
- Local blood drives
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Akron Baroque: Super Bowl Baroque! - 2/1/2015
- Backyard Bird Feeding - 2/1/2015
- Melissa Harris-Perry - 2/2/2015
- Make a Pop-Up Book: grades 3-6 - 2/2/2015
- Fondues and Essential Oils - 2/3/2015