Summit Food Policy Coalition plans meetings, event
GREATER AKRON — The Summit Food Policy Coalition (SFPC), a network of concerned groups and county residents that examines issues affected by the local food system, will hold its first public meeting of the year Jan. 21 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Akron-Summit County Main Library, 60 S. High St.
The quarterly meeting, according to Christopher Norman, chair of the steering committee, will be an information-sharing and networking opportunity. The goal is to connect interested residents and organizations around the activities that are spurring a resurgence in support for local farmers in the Akron area.
The meeting also will focus on the group’s activities in 2013 and include goals the SFPC has established for 2014. Ms. Julie’s Kitchen will provide refreshments. Other 2014 public meeting dates are April 8, July 8 and Oct. 14.
Norman said the group had a lot of success with its 2013 projects, which included:
- The NeighborFood program, which helped start 10 new community gardens in Summit County and sponsored a community garden tour;
- The Growing Hope Food Summit, which engaged hundreds of residents from across socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds; and
- The Summit County Food Charter, which was adopted by eight governing bodies.
The SFPC also hosted several Growing Hope film and potluck events in area community centers. The next in that series will take place Feb. 7 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Miller Avenue United Church of Christ, 1095 Edison Ave. in Akron. There will be a screening of the film “Secrets of Sugar,” and attendees are asked to bring a healthy dessert and the recipe to share. Make-and-take Valentine’s Day cards also will be available.
For details on the meeting, call Julie Costell at 330-819-3834. For more information on the potluck and film, contact Katie Fry at 330-608-1454.
The mission of the SFPC is to improve healthy food access for all Greater Akron area residents and to spur economic development through education, advocacy and policy. For more information, go to www.summitfpc.wordpress.com.
Kathleen Folkerth contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Spring Awakening” - 12/6/2016
- Music Trivia - 12/6/2016
- Cake Decorating: Holiday Cupcakes; Cake Decorating: Holiday Cookies - 12/6/2016
- Glass Fusing with Marianne Hite - 12/7/2016
- Weekday Walkers - 12/7/2016