Coventry trustees review water issues
The Coventry Township Board of Trustees are continuing to work on flooding issues around Brewster Creek that have long plagued condominiums and homes in the Penguin Avenue neighborhood.
At a special meeting Jan. 23, trustees approved a letter of support for the city of Akron National Fish and Wildlife Foundation/Department of the Interior for the Hurricane Sandy Coastal Resiliency Grant — Brewster Creek Restoration Design grant.
According to Coventry Fiscal Officer Joni Murgatroyd, the grant would fund the redesign of Brewster Creek, which is an urban stream located in South Akron that floods communities downstream.
The restoration design will include natural stream channel design techniques to connect this entrenched stream to an adjacent floodplain and riparian plants to stabilize the banks, improve water quality and the habitat. That design work will allow city of Akron officials to apply for grant funds to pay for the construction of these enhancements, according to Murgatroyd.
Also at the meeting, trustees discussed anticipated cost changes to the township’s contract for law enforcement services from the Summit County Sheriff’s Office for 2015 with Sheriff Steve Barry. Actual costs are to be provided to the township at a later date, according to Murgatroyd.
A letter to be sent to Cottage Grove neighborhood residents to introduce Corin Bonnet, who is a graduate student from Kent State University working on her master’s degree in public health and an intern with Summit County Public Health, also was discussed. Bonnet would like to contact residents to offer free water sampling tests as part of her program studies.
Also, trustees approved revisions to various zoning, cemetery and other department fees.
The next regular trustees’ meeting is set for Feb. 13 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall, 68 Portage Lakes Drive.
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014
- Mosaic Picture Frame for grades 5-12 - 7/24/2014
- Taste of Akron - 7/24/2014