HMS teacher honored by Cavs
|Photo courtesy of Highland Local Schools|
Representatives from the Cavs surprised Gopp and his class Jan. 30 at the school. He is shown above accepting his award from representatives from the Cleveland Cavaliers.
“Head of the Class” recognizes teachers in Northeast Ohio for making a difference in the lives of their students both inside and outside the classroom. The Cavaliers select one teacher each month of the season (November through April).
Cavaliers’ mascots Moondog and Sir C.C. and Cavaliers “Hype Man” Ahmaad presented Gopp with a super-sized ticket to the Feb. 5 home game vs. the Los Angeles Lakers and a $500 donation to use toward his classroom. In addition to receiving two tickets to the game, Gopp also received two complimentary passes to the Court Club and will be recognized on-court prior to the game. As an added bonus, the Cavaliers gave Gopp enough tickets to the Feb. 5 game to invite the entire eighth-grade class and a guest.
Gopp was nominated by two of his fellow teachers, Brian Hare and Stacey Keller.
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014
- Mosaic Picture Frame for grades 5-12 - 7/24/2014
- Taste of Akron - 7/24/2014