Grant approved for county development agency
|Cub Scouts who are members of Den No. 7 of Pack No. 3390 at St. Hilary School attended the Feb. 10 Summit County Council meeting and led the Pledge of Allegiance. The pack is shown above with members of Council.|
|Photo courtesy of Summit County Council|
The vote was 10-1, with Councilwoman Gloria Rodgers (R-District 3) voting against the grant, as she did during the previous week’s Planning and Economic Development Committee meeting.
There was no discussion on the grant this week, but the previous week Rodgers said she thought the annual grant to the finance authority could be reduced.
The Development Finance Authority of Summit County, formerly known as the Port Authority, works with economic development professionals, legal and financial professionals and the business community to bring economic development to Summit County and Northeast Ohio, according to its website.
In years past, the authority received much more assistance from the county. In 2006, the grant was for $175,000, and in 2007 and 2008, it was $125,000. The amount was reduced to $75,000 starting in 2009.
In other business, Council adopted a resolution approving the Dangerous Wild Animal Response Team (DWART) Plan. According to the legislation, the DWART is part of a state law passed in 2012 as part of the state’s regulations on dangerous wild animals and snakes.
The state-mandated plan describes how Summit County will plan and provide resource support before, during and after a dangerous wild animal emergency. The emergency may be caused through human acts, equipment malfunction or by natural disasters, according to county officials.
The plan must include the methods and procedures that will be utilized in the event of an escaped dangerous wild animal within Summit County. It is to be updated on an annual basis.
Council also approved a motion confirming the appointment of several local officials to the Traffic Access Advisory Committee. In addition to Council President Ilene Shapiro (D-at large) and Council member Sandra Kurt (D-at large), Bath Trustee Elaina Goodrich and former Bath Township Administrator William Snow were appointed, along with County Engineer Alan Brubaker and Dave Gasper, city of Akron traffic engineer.
The committee, according to Heidi Swindell of the Engineer’s Office, will be charged with reviewing a traffic access manual currently being compiled by the firm DLZ. The committee will make recommendations and present them to Council for adoption, she added.
This week’s meeting also featured special guests in the audience. Cub Scouts who are members of Den No. 7 of Pack No. 3390 at St. Hilary School in Fairlawn attended and led the Pledge of Allegiance.
“I want you to know how proud we are to have you here,” Shapiro said.
County Council will not meet Feb. 17 due to the Presidents’ Day holiday. Council will meet for committee meetings Feb. 24 at 4:30 p.m. in Council Chambers on the seventh floor of the Ohio Building, located at 175 S. Main St.
More Community News
- Akron Council updated on CSO situation
- Fine automobiles celebrated at Stan Hywet
- Copley teachers reject tentative contract
- Fairlawn landlords voice concerns
- Rita Dove teaming with Project Learn
- Granger Fire considering fireworks display in township
- Falls officers honored for valiant service
- Cuyahoga Falls Council asked to support ballot issues
- Norton Council approves three zoning changes
- Copley Police Department replacing five vehicles
- County sheriff explains ballot issue at Richfield Council meeting
- Richfield trustees decide to build township government center
- Volunteers needed for service day
- West Side News & Notes
- Fire, school levy renewals up for vote
- Pollinator Garden in Springfield dedicated
- New Franklin moving forward with exercise trail
- County officials ask Green Council to support Issue 12
- Green state report card results discussed
- County seeing dip in natural gas prices
- Akron Council updated on CSO situation
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- PAWS for Reading with service dog Molly - 10/1/2014
- The Wiggles - 10/1/2014
- Cajun Dinner and Concert with Steve Riley & the Mamou Playboys - 10/1/2014
- “Shane” - 10/2/2014
- Putting Your Garden to Bed - 10/2/2014