Norton approves agricultural district renewals
Norton City Council approved the renewals of agricultural district status for four established farms at the Feb. 10 meeting.
Public hearings were held before Council voted 6-0, with Councilman Dennis McGlone (at large) absent, in favor of approving the renewals for farms located at: 5040 Fairland Road, 3856 Greenwich Road, 3296 Clubside Drive and 3456 S. Hametown Road.
According to Council Clerk Karla Richards, the farms must renew their agricultural district status every five years.
Resident Pat Canfora said during the public hearings that while he understands as cities expand they need more land for businesses and development, and thus more and more farms become nonexistent, it’s also nice to have fresh home-grown produce available in Norton, and he hopes Council members will support the continuance of these farms.
Richards said Council will consider four other renewals at the next meeting for farms located at: 4117 Greenwich Road, 4903 S. Hametown Road, 4359 Johnson Road and 4044 Summit Road.
Public hearings will be held for all four resolutions before Council votes.
Also at the meeting, Council agreed to disband the Norton Health Advisory Board. According to Councilwoman Charlotte Whipkey (at large), the board will meet at least one more time to approve the minutes of their last meeting.
Council also approved the report of the Assessment Equalization Board for the improvement of Croydon, Rangely and Easton roads; Higgins, Brookside and Clubview drives; and Brookside Court and certain other parcels by constructing and installing sanitary sewer lines, together with necessary appurtenances, to comprise the Nash Heights Sanitary Sewer Improvements East Phase project.
In other business:
- Council heard a second reading on a resolution supporting the formation of the Wolf Creek Watershed Conservancy District.
- Mayor Mike Zita reminded Council and the public about the upcoming Norton Kiwanis Chili Cook-off that will take place Feb. 15 from 4 to 7 p.m. at the at the Shirley L. McGuire Community Center, 4060 Columbia Woods Drive. Proceeds will benefit Norton High School scholarships. For more information, call 330-819-5658.
Council next will meet for a work session Feb. 18 and for its regular meeting Feb. 24, both at 7 p.m. in Council Chambers at the Safety-Administration Building, 4060 Columbia Woods Drive.
More Community News
Calendar of Events
- Colin Dussault - 8/3/2015
- “First Tuesday” Dance - 8/4/2015
- Experience the Underground Railroad - 8/4/2015
- Freezing and Canning Workshop - 8/4/2015
- Show and Tell Me a Story: for ages 1-3 - 8/5/2015