Springfield trustees look at fire truck
Springfield officials got a look at a new fire truck similar to one being considered for purchase during a special Feb. 6 Board of Trustees meeting.
According to the meeting minutes, representatives from the Sutphen Corp. in Dublin, which makes various fire apparatus, brought a truck to Town Hall and presented information and an opportunity to ask questions to township and Fire Department officials prior to the start of the meeting. Afterward, township officials and Fire Department staff discussed the needs of the department for a new truck.
The presentation and discussion were completed without a decision made on the purchase, according to Township Fiscal Officer Joy Dies.
Dies added township officials last fall began setting aside funds collected through the Joint Economic Development District agreement with Akron, and earmarked $30,000 from the General Fund, as well as $25,000 from the Capital Fund, to put toward the purchase of a fire truck. Township officials have long discussed the need for a new truck to replace an existing aging one that has required numerous and costly repairs in the last few years.
Dies added officials expect to purchase a new truck sometime this year.
Also during the meeting, trustees approved the first resolution required to place two Springfield Fire Department levy renewals on the November General Election ballot. Those levies include a 1.8-mill fire levy, which last year collected $457,800, and a 3.2-mill fire levy, which last year collected $560,929, according to township officials.
This first resolution requests the Summit County Fiscal Office to certify the valuation of the township in preparation of placing these levies on the ballot. The second resolution needed to place the levies on the ballot is expected to be approved at a subsequent meeting.
Dies said that neither levy represents an increase in taxes to property owners in the township.
In other business, trustees:
- rescinded a previous motion approving a memorandum of understanding between Springfield and Summit County for a grant application and construction of sanitary sewers in the township. According to the meeting minutes, a letter received from the Summit County Department of Environmental Services advised trustees the grant was not approved by Ohio Public Works District 8; and
- approved placing a $2,443 lien for nuisance abatement on the tax duplicate of 2295 Mingo Trail.
Trustees adjourned into executive session to discuss the employment of a public employee.
Trustees also held a special meeting Feb. 11 for the purpose of going into executive session to discuss negotiations with a public employee union. Prior to that session, trustees approved hiring former trustee Bruce Killian, who retired in November, as a part-time payroll clerk. The position had been advertised.
The next regular meeting is set for Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014