Crystalline creations delight in Medina
Pictured at right top are winners Lauren Klapec and Walter Ross, who traveled from Oakland Community College in suburban Detroit to compete.
Artist Christian Smith is shown at right bottom as he applies heat to reveal the brilliance of the ice in his carving of a fish during competition Feb. 15.
Spectators are shown below bottom as they enjoy one of the sculptures at the site.
Ben Machor, of Medina, is pictured above as he photographs sons Kaleb, 8, and Logan, 4, in an ice sculpture of a TV.
Ice sculptors competed in speed carving, team and individual competitions throughout the weekend. The event also featured the Fire and Ice Tower, a structure built of ice blocks that was lit to start the festival.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014