Crystalline creations delight in Medina
Pictured at right top are winners Lauren Klapec and Walter Ross, who traveled from Oakland Community College in suburban Detroit to compete.
Artist Christian Smith is shown at right bottom as he applies heat to reveal the brilliance of the ice in his carving of a fish during competition Feb. 15.
Spectators are shown below bottom as they enjoy one of the sculptures at the site.
Ben Machor, of Medina, is pictured above as he photographs sons Kaleb, 8, and Logan, 4, in an ice sculpture of a TV.
Ice sculptors competed in speed carving, team and individual competitions throughout the weekend. The event also featured the Fire and Ice Tower, a structure built of ice blocks that was lit to start the festival.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Copley Town Hall hosting general store exhibit
- Nondiscrimination ordinance considered
- County engineer floating proposed storm water utility
- Keith reflects on year as Council president
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Political News & Notes
- AARP cancels Tax-Aide program at Norton, Portage Lakes libraries
- Fairlawn Council passes ‘very conservative’ budget for 2017
- Trustees appoint committee to explore economic development
- Bath trustees waive zoning permit fees for observatory
- Clerk grateful for Easter collection support
- Changes coming to Sharon Township Cemetery
- Copley-Fairlawn Kiwanis helping burn victim
Calendar of Events
- Warbler Warm-Up - 3/23/2017
- School Age STEAM: kindergarten through fifth grade - 3/23/2017
- John Fedchock with The University of Akron Student Jazz Ensemble - 3/23/2017
- Akron Marathon Informational Session: Beginners and Walkers - 3/23/2017
- “Storks” - 3/23/2017