Crystalline creations delight in Medina
Pictured at right top are winners Lauren Klapec and Walter Ross, who traveled from Oakland Community College in suburban Detroit to compete.
Artist Christian Smith is shown at right bottom as he applies heat to reveal the brilliance of the ice in his carving of a fish during competition Feb. 15.
Spectators are shown below bottom as they enjoy one of the sculptures at the site.
Ben Machor, of Medina, is pictured above as he photographs sons Kaleb, 8, and Logan, 4, in an ice sculpture of a TV.
Ice sculptors competed in speed carving, team and individual competitions throughout the weekend. The event also featured the Fire and Ice Tower, a structure built of ice blocks that was lit to start the festival.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Portage Crossing coming to life
- Glowing lights shine at Holiday Tree Festival
- Norton police chief sworn in
- Akron addressing daytime burglaries
- Wanted: Holiday volunteers
- Council supports grant application for Richfield site
- Skaters, hockey players to benefit from plow purchase
- Richfield reviewing proposed guidelines for historic district
- Richfield trustees review proposals for police, fire contracts
- Granger trustees agree Brenelle Lane should not be terminated
- Turkeys common in Metro Parks
- West Side News & Notes
- Residents want safer Myersville Road
- Coventry Fire helping those in need
- New Franklin officials address increasing revenue
- Council supports grant application for Coventry bog
- Akron Council committee supports Safe Routes to School plan
- ‘Light up a Life’ benefits Hospice of VNS
- Akron Children’s Pediatrics in Green moves
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- History Hike - 11/28/2014
- After Thanksgiving Hike - 11/28/2014
- Brent Kirby and His Luck with Rebecca Wohlever - 11/28/2014
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club - 11/28/2014
- A New Adventure - 11/29/2014