Jewish Community Board celebrates century
|Photos: Dale Dong|
Shown at top right is Akron’s Assistant to the Mayor for Community Relations Billy Soule as he presents a commemorative plaque to JCBA President Debra Shifrin and JCBA Centennial Chair Mark Bober.
April Sharrock, of Clinton, is pictured at bottom right as she reads about Jerry Shaw on a historical display that shows highlights of the past 100 years.
Shown above, from left, enjoying a toast during the event are Bober, Jewish Community Board CEO David Koch, Judy Grundfast and Beth El Congregation Rabbi Stephen Grundfast. Also in attendance, shown at right middle, were Rabbi Robert Feinberg, of Temple Israel, and Laura Lee Garfinkel, of Akron.
According to JCBA officials, the organization was founded in February 1914 when 30 visionary members of Akron’s Jewish community united to respond to needs within the community as Federated Jewish Charities. Over the years, the organization has raised funds for Jews in need locally and around the world, as well as encouraged understanding through education and collaboration within the Jewish community and other faith and civic organizations. JCBA officials also said that through its annual Jewish Welfare Fund Campaign, the JCBA supports social, educational, recreational and cultural services for all ages provided by the Shaw JCC, the Lippman School, Jewish Family Service and Hillels at The University of Akron and Kent State University.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- Council OKs $450 million capital budget
- Chili Open golfers warm up for spring
- Summit County Council welcomes Walters
- Aggregation, personnel on Akron ballots
- Roundtable staying true to mission
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley Boy Scout troop celebrating 60 years
- Two Fairlawn Fire officers promoted during Council meeting
- Norton continues discussion of Nash Heights project
- Copley trustees approve funds for road repairs
- Falls addressing issues at Broad Boulevard railroad crossing
- Richfield Village celebrating 50th anniversary next year
- Richfield trustees get update on antidrug programs
- Granger trustees approve budget for 2016
Calendar of Events
- Adult Ceramic Project Class - 2/11/2016
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra - 2/11/2016
- Yoga in the Park - 2/11/2016
- Teen Advisory Board - 2/11/2016
- “Intruder in the Dust”: - 2/11/2016