Bath trustees hire staff for fire department
The Bath Township Board of Trustees approved several items during the March 3 meeting.
The trustees agreed to hire three new staff members for the Bath Fire Department with a vote of 2-0, with Trustee James Nelson not present.
Scott Robinson and Trevin Morrison were both hired as part-time firefighters/paramedics, and Anthony Hyatt, a former employee, was welcomed back as a contractual firefighter to work at the joint fire station with Copley, Station No. 2, after taking some time off to deal with personal issues, according to township officials.
“We are excited to welcome all the new staff members,” Trustee Becky Corbett said.
The trustees also approved a resolution to apply for the ReWorks Community Access Recycling Grant.
According to Township Administrator Vito Sinopoli, $8,500 is available to the township thanks to this grant, which can be used for any residential recycling projects that increase the diversion of solid waste from landfills.
Sinopoli also noted the township received this grant last year and used the funds to set up the recycling area outside of Herberich Primary School.
“We have a few ideas of how to use this money if we are awarded it,” said Trustee Elaina Goodrich, “but we would welcome suggestions from the community as well.”
Trustees also agreed to hire Davey Tree and Good Nature Organic Lawn Care to fertilize the athletic fields.
Davey Tree will fertilize athletic fields at Bath Hill Park, Bath Baseball Park and the Bath Community Activity Center. The company will treat the fields six times a year for three years at a cost of $4,951, according to township officials.
Good Nature Organic Lawn Care will fertilize fields No. 6 and No. 7 at the Bath Baseball Park. It will treat the fields seven times throughout the 2014 season at a cost of $1,386, according to township officials.
Interim Park Supervisor Alan Garner said the reason for using two different companies is because Davey uses synthetic chemicals to treat the fields, and Good Nature only uses organics. The Parks Department has been using the two companies for the past three years, and at the end of this year will monitor the differences between the treatments to see if the organics do make a noticeable difference.
In other business, trustees:
- agreed to reassign part-time seasonal employee John Markel from the Service Department to the Parks Department, effective March 3. Service Director Caine Collins said Markel has experience in both fields; and
- agreed to advertise for a full-time laborer/equipment operator employee to replace Kurt Obendorfer, who is retiring. The application and job description will be available on the township website, www.bathtownship.org, through March 31.
The board’s next regular meeting will be March 17 at 4 p.m. in the trustees’ meeting room of the Bath Administration Building, 3864 W. Bath Road.
More Community News
- State Route 18 projects to begin in summer
- Copley’s Winterfest puts fun on ice
- APS exploring funds for waiting building projects
- Richfield Council delays water tower vote
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council committee chairs questioned
- Akron City Council evaluates capital budget
- Fairlawn mayor calls city’s financial condition ‘sound’
- Norton looking to sink sewer costs
- Falls Council reappoints member to library board
- Bath trustees approve sale of fire department vehicle
- Peninsula Council on third try makes quorum for meeting
- Copley exploring contract with single trash hauler
- Richfield trustees approve fire/EMS contract
- Granger trustees hear presentation on fire prevention
- County Council opposing pipeline
- Cub Scouts get creative for Chariot Races
- Coventry goes with reduced ballot issue
- Norton gives final State of the City address
- Council considers Tudor House addition
- Springfield trustees approve application for Spartan Trail
- Local blood drives
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 1/31/2015
- “The Vagina Monologues” - 1/31/2015
- Lunch and a Movie for Teens - 1/31/2015
- Comedy in the Cellar - 1/31/2015
- Billy Strings and Don Julin - 1/31/2015