Bath trustees hire staff for fire department
The Bath Township Board of Trustees approved several items during the March 3 meeting.
The trustees agreed to hire three new staff members for the Bath Fire Department with a vote of 2-0, with Trustee James Nelson not present.
Scott Robinson and Trevin Morrison were both hired as part-time firefighters/paramedics, and Anthony Hyatt, a former employee, was welcomed back as a contractual firefighter to work at the joint fire station with Copley, Station No. 2, after taking some time off to deal with personal issues, according to township officials.
“We are excited to welcome all the new staff members,” Trustee Becky Corbett said.
The trustees also approved a resolution to apply for the ReWorks Community Access Recycling Grant.
According to Township Administrator Vito Sinopoli, $8,500 is available to the township thanks to this grant, which can be used for any residential recycling projects that increase the diversion of solid waste from landfills.
Sinopoli also noted the township received this grant last year and used the funds to set up the recycling area outside of Herberich Primary School.
“We have a few ideas of how to use this money if we are awarded it,” said Trustee Elaina Goodrich, “but we would welcome suggestions from the community as well.”
Trustees also agreed to hire Davey Tree and Good Nature Organic Lawn Care to fertilize the athletic fields.
Davey Tree will fertilize athletic fields at Bath Hill Park, Bath Baseball Park and the Bath Community Activity Center. The company will treat the fields six times a year for three years at a cost of $4,951, according to township officials.
Good Nature Organic Lawn Care will fertilize fields No. 6 and No. 7 at the Bath Baseball Park. It will treat the fields seven times throughout the 2014 season at a cost of $1,386, according to township officials.
Interim Park Supervisor Alan Garner said the reason for using two different companies is because Davey uses synthetic chemicals to treat the fields, and Good Nature only uses organics. The Parks Department has been using the two companies for the past three years, and at the end of this year will monitor the differences between the treatments to see if the organics do make a noticeable difference.
In other business, trustees:
- agreed to reassign part-time seasonal employee John Markel from the Service Department to the Parks Department, effective March 3. Service Director Caine Collins said Markel has experience in both fields; and
- agreed to advertise for a full-time laborer/equipment operator employee to replace Kurt Obendorfer, who is retiring. The application and job description will be available on the township website, www.bathtownship.org, through March 31.
The board’s next regular meeting will be March 17 at 4 p.m. in the trustees’ meeting room of the Bath Administration Building, 3864 W. Bath Road.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014