Jewish Community Board celebrates century
|Photos: Dale Dong|
Akron’s Assistant to the Mayor for Community Relations Billy Soule presented a commemorative plaque to JCBA President Debra Shifrin and JCBA Centennial Chair Mark Bober.
April Sharrock, of Clinton, is pictured at right as she reads about Jerry Shaw on a historical display that shows highlights of the past 100 years.
Shown above, from left, enjoying a toast during the event are Bober, Jewish Community Board CEO David Koch, Judy Grundfast and Beth El Congregation Rabbi Stephen Grundfast.
According to JCBA officials, the organization was founded in February 1914 when 30 visionary members of Akron’s Jewish community united to respond to needs within the community as Federated Jewish Charities. Over the years, the organization has raised funds for Jews in need locally and around the world, as well as encouraged understanding through education and collaboration within the Jewish community and other faith and civic organizations. JCBA officials also said that through its annual Jewish Welfare Fund Campaign, the JCBA supports social, educational, recreational and cultural services for all ages provided by the Shaw JCC, the Lippman School, Jewish Family Service and Hillels at The University of Akron and Kent State University.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- City reports sewer savings after plan altered
- Tour offers peek into Copley landmark
- Akron tree ordinance sprouting changes
- Norton district returns to ballot for operating funds
- All welcome at GASP luncheon
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council OKs first set of employee contracts
- Council approves pump station location change
- Norton citizens mount referendum campaign on sewer transfer
- Council OKs Woodridge, Portage Crossing construction plans
- Copley trustees increase cemetery capacity with columbarium
- Richfield officials honor garden club for 80 years of service
- Trustees hear update on recycling program
Calendar of Events
- Yoga - 9/29/2016
- Rock-a-Bye Tales: 6 to 24 months - 9/29/2016
- Watercolor Screen Printing - 9/29/2016
- Tales Alive: ages 2-5 - 9/29/2016
- Travelin’ Johnsons - 9/29/2016