Jewish Community Board celebrates century
|Photos: Dale Dong|
Akron’s Assistant to the Mayor for Community Relations Billy Soule presented a commemorative plaque to JCBA President Debra Shifrin and JCBA Centennial Chair Mark Bober.
April Sharrock, of Clinton, is pictured at right as she reads about Jerry Shaw on a historical display that shows highlights of the past 100 years.
Shown above, from left, enjoying a toast during the event are Bober, Jewish Community Board CEO David Koch, Judy Grundfast and Beth El Congregation Rabbi Stephen Grundfast.
According to JCBA officials, the organization was founded in February 1914 when 30 visionary members of Akron’s Jewish community united to respond to needs within the community as Federated Jewish Charities. Over the years, the organization has raised funds for Jews in need locally and around the world, as well as encouraged understanding through education and collaboration within the Jewish community and other faith and civic organizations. JCBA officials also said that through its annual Jewish Welfare Fund Campaign, the JCBA supports social, educational, recreational and cultural services for all ages provided by the Shaw JCC, the Lippman School, Jewish Family Service and Hillels at The University of Akron and Kent State University.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- Akron Council hears campaign limit concerns
- Litchfield students tops at robotics event
- Summit County to get neighbors’ surplus
- Buchtel community solving problems together
- Re-entry program offers work for newly released
- Annual budget process underway in Fairlawn
- Bath trustees approve items related to construction projects
- Boston trustees discuss water options
- Trustees support new drugstore site
- Thanksgiving Day race benefiting homeless, hungry
- Corathers named Veteran of the Year
- Corbin Foundation awards grants
- Case Ambassadors help in school, community
- Kathleen Kennedy Townsend to speak at ACF event
- Local ceremony honors veterans
- Programs for bereaved available
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Thanksgiving Story Time: for ages 2-5 - 11/20/2014
- “Maleficent" - 11/20/2014
- Doug DuBois - 11/20/2014
- Highland Book Club: “The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry,” by Gabrielle Zevin - 11/20/2014
- Tales for Tots - 11/20/2014