Jewish Community Board celebrates century
|Photos: Dale Dong|
Akron’s Assistant to the Mayor for Community Relations Billy Soule presented a commemorative plaque to JCBA President Debra Shifrin and JCBA Centennial Chair Mark Bober.
April Sharrock, of Clinton, is pictured at right as she reads about Jerry Shaw on a historical display that shows highlights of the past 100 years.
Shown above, from left, enjoying a toast during the event are Bober, Jewish Community Board CEO David Koch, Judy Grundfast and Beth El Congregation Rabbi Stephen Grundfast.
According to JCBA officials, the organization was founded in February 1914 when 30 visionary members of Akron’s Jewish community united to respond to needs within the community as Federated Jewish Charities. Over the years, the organization has raised funds for Jews in need locally and around the world, as well as encouraged understanding through education and collaboration within the Jewish community and other faith and civic organizations. JCBA officials also said that through its annual Jewish Welfare Fund Campaign, the JCBA supports social, educational, recreational and cultural services for all ages provided by the Shaw JCC, the Lippman School, Jewish Family Service and Hillels at The University of Akron and Kent State University.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- County notes success of Gay Games
- Copley fathers, sons hike Grand Canyon rim to rim
- Fairlawn updating rental, housing code
- Church offering English as second language classes
- Medina County hiking program begins Sept. 1
- Bath board approves road improvements, trail construction
- Boston officials discuss new safety measures
- Sharon Fire adding new shift
- Red Cross names interim chapter executive
- JLA accepts grant for Kids in the Kitchen project
- West Side News & Notes
- Coventry to further fund flood mitigation
- Local man ‘model’ citizen with building hobby
- County Council notes success of Gay Games
- Cottage Grove School set for demolition
- Kick for The Cure benefiting Camp Quality, hospice
- Springfield trustees seeking to reduce water/sewer bills further
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Divergent” - 8/28/2014
- 11th Annual Juried Fiber Arts Show - 8/29/2014
- Texas Hold’em Afternoon - 8/29/2014
- A New Beginning - 8/30/2014
- Outdoor Yoga - 8/30/2014