Jewish Community Board celebrates century
|Photos: Dale Dong|
Akron’s Assistant to the Mayor for Community Relations Billy Soule presented a commemorative plaque to JCBA President Debra Shifrin and JCBA Centennial Chair Mark Bober.
April Sharrock, of Clinton, is pictured at right as she reads about Jerry Shaw on a historical display that shows highlights of the past 100 years.
Shown above, from left, enjoying a toast during the event are Bober, Jewish Community Board CEO David Koch, Judy Grundfast and Beth El Congregation Rabbi Stephen Grundfast.
According to JCBA officials, the organization was founded in February 1914 when 30 visionary members of Akron’s Jewish community united to respond to needs within the community as Federated Jewish Charities. Over the years, the organization has raised funds for Jews in need locally and around the world, as well as encouraged understanding through education and collaboration within the Jewish community and other faith and civic organizations. JCBA officials also said that through its annual Jewish Welfare Fund Campaign, the JCBA supports social, educational, recreational and cultural services for all ages provided by the Shaw JCC, the Lippman School, Jewish Family Service and Hillels at The University of Akron and Kent State University.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Windows 8 - 7/29/2014
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014