Granger, Sharon fire departments purchase vehicle
The joint purchase of an off-road vehicle with accessories by the Granger and Sharon fire departments was discussed at the Granger Board of Trustees meeting March 10.
Granger Fire Chief Jim Paulett said the purchase includes the vehicle, a firefighting off-road trailer, a 20-foot enclosed cargo trailer and emergency lighting and lettering, for a total cost of $43,345.
Trustee Teri Berry said while she agreed with the purchase of the equipment, she thought the cost for it was too high.
Paulett said the prices on most lighting and lettering were high estimates.
The board ultimately decided to approve putting $15,000 toward the joint purchase of the vehicle, but will revisit further contributions after the prices for the equipment have been firmed up.
In other fire department business, Paulett reported the Granger Fire Department handled 20 EMS calls and one fire call in February. He also invited trustees and service personnel to attend a presentation by Ohio Edison to the department’s fire class March 20.
In other business:
- Chris Szelag, of the Medina County Auditor’s Office, announced complaints against the valuation of property are due March 31. She said forms with instructions are available on the Auditor’s Office website at www.medinacountyauditor.org.
- Medina County Sheriff’s Deputy David Pries reported the Sheriff’s Office handled 309 activities in Granger in February. He added reports of thefts are down, but residents should still take precautions to secure their vehicles and belongings.
- Service Director Mark Novak reported he ordered 1,456 tons of salt.
Fiscal Officer Donald Baker added the township spent approximately $50,000 on salt this winter.
Novak also said Stony Hill Road will be closed from March 17 to April 15 to replace a deck slab.
Novak responded to residents’ complaints about water over frozen culverts and said there is not much the Service Department can do about that. He said homeowners should clear openings, if possible.
- Zoning Inspector Annie George said she found out Hinckley and Sharon zoning laws do not require fences around pools, but Montville zoning laws do require fencing around above- or in-ground pools, even with a pool cover.
Trustee Richard Pace suggested George discuss the possibility of revising pool guidelines with the Board of Zoning Appeals.
George also discussed the issue of food vendors in Granger Township Park, inquiring whether they should be allowed in the park, even though they are not allowed in buildings, whether only vendors who give back to organizations should be allowed, and whether the number and location of vendors should be regulated. She said she will draw up an application to be presented at the next board meeting after questions have been discussed among the trustees.
Paulett also expressed his concern about ice cream truck vendors selling on township roads, as it poses a safety hazard for children.
- Sexton Rita Feess reported she handled one foundation request in February.
Also at the meeting, the board approved the following:
√ a payment of $9,695 to Bryant and Stratton College for Firefighter II training;
√ a payment of $1,003 to Warren Fire Equipment for the purchase of Scott AV3000 facemasks; and
√ the detour for the Remsen Road bridge work over Interstate 71 starting March 17 for 180 days.
The next Granger Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for March 24 at 4 p.m. at the Granger Township Administration Building, 3717 Ridge Road.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Windows 8 - 7/29/2014
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014