Peninsula Council authorizes purchase of police SUV
At the March 10 meeting, Peninsula Village Council authorized Mayor Doug Mayer to enter into a lease for a new vehicle for the police department.
Last month, Village Council approved other details relating to the purchase, specifying they were planning to buy a new Ford Explorer sport utility vehicle (SUV) from Lebanon Ford at a cost of $23,000 after trade-in. Terms of the agreement indicate the village expects the trade-in of a 2010 Chevrolet Impala with 130,000 miles on it to be worth $2,200.
The SUV purchase is a change for the village, whose law enforcement officers all previously drove the Impalas, according to Police Chief Joe Varga.
Also at the meeting, Council approved changes to the pay scale for police officers, with auxiliary officers now earning $12.50 hourly and part-time officers earning $13 hourly, according to Fiscal Officer John Stiegel.
In other action, Council approved the purchase of police ammunition for a little more than $2,000, noted Stiegel.
In other business, Council adopted the village’s permanent budget for 2014. Stiegel said this year’s budget is slightly more than last year, as it will collect more in income tax following the passage of an increase at the polls last fall, upping collection from 1 percent to 2 percent. The income tax increase will bring in an additional $180,000 per year to finance the general municipal operations, village officials have said.
The increase in income tax collection is offset by continued reductions in state revenue, said Stiegel.
Peninsula Village Council’s next meeting is set for April 14 at 7 p.m. in the second-floor Council room of Peninsula Village Hall, located at the corner of state Route 303 and Akron-Peninsula Road.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Summertime Card Party - 7/25/2014
- Voices in the Valley: Jim Gill - 7/25/2014
- Wine Tasting and Silent Auction - 7/25/2014
- Tony Rio - 7/25/2014
- A New Adventure - 7/26/2014