Odom Fund awards grants
AKRON — On Feb. 21, the Vernon L. Odom Fund of the Akron Community Foundation (ACF) awarded $7,800 in grants to programs that promote diversity and enrich the quality of life within local minority communities, according to ACF officials.
Two grants went to partners of the newly formed Summit County Fatherhood Initiative, a collaboration spearheaded by ACF to pool resources to end father absenteeism locally. Fathers and Sons of Northeast Ohio and Williams Challenge each received $900 to help at-risk fathers develop healthy relationships with their children. The Williams Challenge grant will fund the Man 2 Man Fatherhood Building Program, a series of educational workshops for men who are transitioning out of the court system or have otherwise been absent from their children’s lives.
In addition, a grant to Fathers and Sons of Northeast Ohio will support fatherhood education classes for homeless men at the Haven of Rest shelter. They will receive child support debt counseling, learn how to navigate the court system to request parenting time and will receive employment coaching designed for people with a history of felony convictions and substance abuse.
Other grants will teach leadership skills to inner-city adolescents, prepare at-risk students for college and provide financial literacy training to minority youth.
For the full list of Vernon L. Odom Fund grants, see “Vernon L. Odom Fund grants support diversity initiatives” at www.akron.com.
More Community News
- Minus kitchen, shelter will feed residents
- Revere students schooled on financial literacy
- Travel expenses spur Akron City Council discussion
- Copley survey results to guide development
- West Side News & Notes
- Norton celebrates upgraded bond rating
- Four to seek vacant Norton City Council seat
- Sharon Post Office to host Passport Fair
- Council delays vote on repairs to downtown decks
- Peninsula Council honors resident
- Boston trustees discuss new speed limit law
- Council considers rezoning request on West Streetsboro Road
- Trustees OK agreement for Southern Road property
- Granger property owner addresses BZA ruling
- Police seeking help with burglaries
- Green Middle School assisting students in need
- Coventry district presents report on open enrollment
- Coventry closes door to new gaming establishments
- South Side News & Notes
- Even without kitchen, shelter will feed residents
Calendar of Events
- Verb Ballets: “Works Reimagined: Continuing the Legacy of Heinz Poll”; “Carnival of the Animals” - 2/19/2017
- Akron Baroque and Singers Companye - 2/19/2017
- Pinterest Projects: Succulents - 2/19/2017
- “Pete’s Dragon” - 2/20/2017
- Friends of the Maltz Museum’s Presidents’ Day Celebration - 2/20/2017