Odom Fund awards grants
AKRON — On Feb. 21, the Vernon L. Odom Fund of the Akron Community Foundation (ACF) awarded $7,800 in grants to programs that promote diversity and enrich the quality of life within local minority communities, according to ACF officials.
Two grants went to partners of the newly formed Summit County Fatherhood Initiative, a collaboration spearheaded by ACF to pool resources to end father absenteeism locally. Fathers and Sons of Northeast Ohio and Williams Challenge each received $900 to help at-risk fathers develop healthy relationships with their children. The Williams Challenge grant will fund the Man 2 Man Fatherhood Building Program, a series of educational workshops for men who are transitioning out of the court system or have otherwise been absent from their children’s lives.
In addition, a grant to Fathers and Sons of Northeast Ohio will support fatherhood education classes for homeless men at the Haven of Rest shelter. They will receive child support debt counseling, learn how to navigate the court system to request parenting time and will receive employment coaching designed for people with a history of felony convictions and substance abuse.
Other grants will teach leadership skills to inner-city adolescents, prepare at-risk students for college and provide financial literacy training to minority youth.
For the full list of Vernon L. Odom Fund grants, see “Vernon L. Odom Fund grants support diversity initiatives” at www.akron.com.
More Community News
- City reports sewer savings after plan altered
- Tour offers peek into Copley landmark
- Akron tree ordinance sprouting changes
- Norton district returns to ballot for operating funds
- All welcome at GASP luncheon
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council OKs first set of employee contracts
- Council approves pump station location change
- Norton citizens mount referendum campaign on sewer transfer
- Council OKs Woodridge, Portage Crossing construction plans
- Copley trustees increase cemetery capacity with columbarium
- Richfield officials honor garden club for 80 years of service
- Trustees hear update on recycling program
Calendar of Events
- Cuyahoga Falls Farmers Market - 9/30/2016
- Glass and Found Object Sculpture - 9/30/2016
- The Babys - 9/30/2016
- Dueling Pianos to benefit the Battered Women’s Shelter - 9/30/2016
- Empty Bowl Dinner to benefit Good Neighbors of Cuyahoga Falls - 9/30/2016