Odom Fund awards grants
AKRON — On Feb. 21, the Vernon L. Odom Fund of the Akron Community Foundation (ACF) awarded $7,800 in grants to programs that promote diversity and enrich the quality of life within local minority communities, according to ACF officials.
Two grants went to partners of the newly formed Summit County Fatherhood Initiative, a collaboration spearheaded by ACF to pool resources to end father absenteeism locally. Fathers and Sons of Northeast Ohio and Williams Challenge each received $900 to help at-risk fathers develop healthy relationships with their children. The Williams Challenge grant will fund the Man 2 Man Fatherhood Building Program, a series of educational workshops for men who are transitioning out of the court system or have otherwise been absent from their children’s lives.
In addition, a grant to Fathers and Sons of Northeast Ohio will support fatherhood education classes for homeless men at the Haven of Rest shelter. They will receive child support debt counseling, learn how to navigate the court system to request parenting time and will receive employment coaching designed for people with a history of felony convictions and substance abuse.
Other grants will teach leadership skills to inner-city adolescents, prepare at-risk students for college and provide financial literacy training to minority youth.
For the full list of Vernon L. Odom Fund grants, see “Vernon L. Odom Fund grants support diversity initiatives” at www.akron.com.
More Community News
- Akron Council raises campaign limits
- Animals in need find home at Forever Amber Acres
- Mustard Seed eyes May opening in Highland Square
- Reentry Network offers safety net for parolees
- West Side News & Notes
- Celebrate with religious sights, sounds
- Reentry Network announces 2015 programs
- Cub Scouts participate in ‘Operation Smile’
- Fairlawn officials remember former Council member
- OWRC installs 2015 officers
- Bath trustees reject fact-finder’s report
- Boston officials discuss new tax collection agency
- Sharon trustees revisit resurfacing agreement
- Hattie Larlham gets early Christmas gift
- Norton officers take part in Shop with a Cop
- Norton food drive to help families
Calendar of Events
- Akron Symphony Holiday Pops - 12/18/2014
- Akron Pops Orchestra Holiday Concert - 12/18/2014
- Yoga in the Park - 12/18/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 12/18/2014
- “Annie” - 12/18/2014