Odom Fund awards grants
AKRON — On Feb. 21, the Vernon L. Odom Fund of the Akron Community Foundation (ACF) awarded $7,800 in grants to programs that promote diversity and enrich the quality of life within local minority communities, according to ACF officials.
Two grants went to partners of the newly formed Summit County Fatherhood Initiative, a collaboration spearheaded by ACF to pool resources to end father absenteeism locally. Fathers and Sons of Northeast Ohio and Williams Challenge each received $900 to help at-risk fathers develop healthy relationships with their children. The Williams Challenge grant will fund the Man 2 Man Fatherhood Building Program, a series of educational workshops for men who are transitioning out of the court system or have otherwise been absent from their children’s lives.
In addition, a grant to Fathers and Sons of Northeast Ohio will support fatherhood education classes for homeless men at the Haven of Rest shelter. They will receive child support debt counseling, learn how to navigate the court system to request parenting time and will receive employment coaching designed for people with a history of felony convictions and substance abuse.
Other grants will teach leadership skills to inner-city adolescents, prepare at-risk students for college and provide financial literacy training to minority youth.
For the full list of Vernon L. Odom Fund grants, see “Vernon L. Odom Fund grants support diversity initiatives” at www.akron.com.
More Community News
- Health officials probe hospital TB exposure
- Richfield Village kicks off jubilee year
- Falls forms team to address opiate addiction
- Kurt continues as Clerk of Courts
- Early meetings don’t dissuade Copley Key Club members
- West Side News & Notes
- Boston trustees honor community members
- Impact Award winners honored
- Bath trustees request intersection study
- Shapiro takes oath of office
- Mature Services receives grant for program
- Lakemore requesting income tax increase
- Coventry moving ahead with police ballot issue
- Springfield trustees to place new parks levy on ballot
- South Side News & Notes
- Akron mayor wants Oriana House audit
- Green mayor to give State of City
Calendar of Events
- The Lincoln Inaugural Train - 1/23/2017
- “Reasons to Be Happy” - 1/24/2017
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 1/25/2017
- Tuesday Musical: Imani Winds - 1/25/2017
- Full Circle Storytelling - 1/25/2017