Cars race to finish at Pinewood Derby
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
According to event officials, the event drew more than 100 Cub Scouts from Barberton, Coventry, Doylestown, Green, New Franklin, Norton and Springfield, who put their derby cars to the test in a gravity-powered race. Participating Scouts carved their own cars out of a block of pine for the race.
Shown at right bottom is Springfield resident Ethan Crady as he recites the Pledge of Allegiance at the Pinewood Derby.
Committee Chair of Scout Pack No. 3335, meeting at Greensburg United Methodist Church in Green, and official starter Wayne Lowery is shown at right top carefully lining up cars for the start of a heat.
Pinewood derby cars are shown above racing down the track during a heat.
Cub Scout Matthew Koontz, of Pack No. 3132, meeting in Norton, is shown at right middle celebrating winning his heat afterwards.
The top three fastest racers were recognized in each of the four age levels of Cub Scouts.
The first-place winners included: for Tigers, Jason Hill, of Pack No. 3215, meeting at St. Francis de Sales Parish in Coventry; for Wolves, Isaac Boyd, of Pack No. 3330, meeting at Green Valley United Methodist Church in Green; for Bears, Brandon Vincent, also of Pack No. 3330; and for Webelos, Tony McNeil, also of Pack No. 3330.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Health officials probe hospital TB exposure
- Richfield Village kicks off jubilee year
- Falls forms team to address opiate addiction
- Kurt continues as Clerk of Courts
- Early meetings don’t dissuade Copley Key Club members
- West Side News & Notes
- Boston trustees honor community members
- Impact Award winners honored
- Bath trustees request intersection study
- Shapiro takes oath of office
- Mature Services receives grant for program
- Lakemore requesting income tax increase
- Coventry moving ahead with police ballot issue
- Springfield trustees to place new parks levy on ballot
- South Side News & Notes
- Akron mayor wants Oriana House audit
- Green mayor to give State of City
Calendar of Events
- The Lincoln Inaugural Train - 1/23/2017
- “Reasons to Be Happy” - 1/24/2017
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 1/25/2017
- Tuesday Musical: Imani Winds - 1/25/2017
- Full Circle Storytelling - 1/25/2017