Cars race to finish at Pinewood Derby
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
According to event officials, the event drew more than 100 Cub Scouts from Barberton, Coventry, Doylestown, Green, New Franklin, Norton and Springfield, who put their derby cars to the test in a gravity-powered race. Participating Scouts carved their own cars out of a block of pine for the race.
Shown at right bottom is Springfield resident Ethan Crady as he recites the Pledge of Allegiance at the Pinewood Derby.
Committee Chair of Scout Pack No. 3335, meeting at Greensburg United Methodist Church in Green, and official starter Wayne Lowery is shown at right top carefully lining up cars for the start of a heat.
Pinewood derby cars are shown above racing down the track during a heat.
Cub Scout Matthew Koontz, of Pack No. 3132, meeting in Norton, is shown at right middle celebrating winning his heat afterwards.
The top three fastest racers were recognized in each of the four age levels of Cub Scouts.
The first-place winners included: for Tigers, Jason Hill, of Pack No. 3215, meeting at St. Francis de Sales Parish in Coventry; for Wolves, Isaac Boyd, of Pack No. 3330, meeting at Green Valley United Methodist Church in Green; for Bears, Brandon Vincent, also of Pack No. 3330; and for Webelos, Tony McNeil, also of Pack No. 3330.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Portage Crossing coming to life
- Glowing lights shine at Holiday Tree Festival
- Norton police chief sworn in
- Akron addressing daytime burglaries
- Wanted: Holiday volunteers
- Council supports grant application for Richfield site
- Skaters, hockey players to benefit from plow purchase
- Richfield reviewing proposed guidelines for historic district
- Richfield trustees review proposals for police, fire contracts
- Granger trustees agree Brenelle Lane should not be terminated
- Turkeys common in Metro Parks
- West Side News & Notes
- Residents want safer Myersville Road
- Coventry Fire helping those in need
- New Franklin officials address increasing revenue
- Council supports grant application for Coventry bog
- Akron Council committee supports Safe Routes to School plan
- ‘Light up a Life’ benefits Hospice of VNS
- Akron Children’s Pediatrics in Green moves
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- History Hike - 11/28/2014
- After Thanksgiving Hike - 11/28/2014
- Brent Kirby and His Luck with Rebecca Wohlever - 11/28/2014
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club - 11/28/2014
- A New Adventure - 11/29/2014