Cars race to finish at Pinewood Derby
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
According to event officials, the event drew more than 100 Cub Scouts from Barberton, Coventry, Doylestown, Green, New Franklin, Norton and Springfield, who put their derby cars to the test in a gravity-powered race. Participating Scouts carved their own cars out of a block of pine for the race.
Shown at right bottom is Springfield resident Ethan Crady as he recites the Pledge of Allegiance at the Pinewood Derby.
Committee Chair of Scout Pack No. 3335, meeting at Greensburg United Methodist Church in Green, and official starter Wayne Lowery is shown at right top carefully lining up cars for the start of a heat.
Pinewood derby cars are shown above racing down the track during a heat.
Cub Scout Matthew Koontz, of Pack No. 3132, meeting in Norton, is shown at right middle celebrating winning his heat afterwards.
The top three fastest racers were recognized in each of the four age levels of Cub Scouts.
The first-place winners included: for Tigers, Jason Hill, of Pack No. 3215, meeting at St. Francis de Sales Parish in Coventry; for Wolves, Isaac Boyd, of Pack No. 3330, meeting at Green Valley United Methodist Church in Green; for Bears, Brandon Vincent, also of Pack No. 3330; and for Webelos, Tony McNeil, also of Pack No. 3330.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- West Hill cell tower gets reluctant approval
- 93 Cents for Flight 93 to create mobile museum
- Fairlawn Council votes down two proposed charter changes
- Iraq War vet climbs to raise awareness about suicide
- West Side News & Notes
- Norton Girl Scouts help homeless students
- County moving forward on traffic study
- Bath trustees reject fact-finding report regarding IAFF
- Boston trustees address issues with salt for winter
- Sharon officials discuss proposed annexation of property
- Springfield considering trash aggregation
- Seniors dig improvements
- Lakemore seeks funds for lakefront playground
- Springfield district rededicates plaques
- RNC volunteers sought for Akron
- South Side News & Notes
- Animals die in fire at Springfield pet care business
- County looking to provide IT services to others
- Coventry trustees grant homeowner chance to repair home
- Akron plans to raise EMS fees
- Sibshop focused on siblings of special needs children
Calendar of Events
- Adult Ceramics - 5/24/2016
- Akron History: Glendale Cemetery - 5/24/2016
- Cardio Hike - 5/24/2016
- Meet Me in the Garden: Succulent Wreath - 5/25/2016
- A Night at the Museum: Real Women. Real Talk - 5/25/2016