Richfield Village chief thanks employees for outfitting cruisers
Police Chief Keith Morgan thanked three Richfield Village employees for their work at outfitting the new police cruisers at the April 1 Council meeting.
Chuck Soulek, John Luther and Ken Horn worked on installing equipment in the village’s three cars, which are currently on the road.
“Last year, our cruisers were on the road in July, so it’s great to have them ready to go so soon,” he stated.
In other news, Mayor Bobbie Beshara said she has talked with developer Randy Kertesz about the possible annexation of 105 acres of vacant land around the Briarwood development from Richfield Township to Richfield Village.
She also met with members of the Revere Local Schools Board of Education about their plans to use 7 acres of the former Bencin property for a bus garage.
Beshara also said she met with the Greater Akron Chamber, which she said is willing to work with the village on a business retention program.
“They are a great resource for us, and they want to meet quarterly with us,” she said.
In other news:
- According to Morgan, the Richfield and Bath police and fire departments conducted emergency response drills at the Revere Local School District’s school buildings during spring break.
- Fire Chief Jason Mihalek advised residents never to touch a downed power or telephone line and instead call the fire department.
- Recreation Director Ruth Jocek talked about the Project Pride Community Cleanup Day April 26. Shredding will be available at the Town Hall area from 9 a.m. to noon, as well as the recycling of computers, monitors and keyboards.
At the same time, the Arbor Day tree giveaway also will take place. More than 1,000 trees will be available, most of them native Ohio trees, she said.
Jocek also reported the Easter Egg Hunt will take place April 12 at 11 a.m. at Town Hall, and it will last about 5 minutes.
- Beshara announced the Planning and Zoning Commission has recommended disapproval of a proposal that would eliminate use variances.
- Council considered a resolution to declare the Knopp House, 4608 W. Streetsboro Road, to be surplus property to be sold through competitive bids. Council agreed to refer the resolution to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Council also renewed a mutual-aid agreement between the Richfield Fire Department and the Code 10 Westside Group, which includes fire departments from Norton, Fairlawn, Bath, Copley, Granger, Sharon, Chippewa and the Valley Fire District.
- Council also passed an ordinance that will allow the clerk of council to hold a public office outside of the village. This allows Rebecca Garner to take over as the new council clerk. She is also the administrative assistant for Peninsula Village.
- Council passed a resolution to apply for an Ohio Environmental Protection Agency grant for the Village Green parking lot improvement and storm water control project.
The next Richfield Village Council meeting is scheduled for April 15 at 8 p.m. at Town Hall, 4410 W. Streetsboro Road.
More Community News
- Kayaks take plunge in Falls
- Council OKs Akron residential tax plan
- E-poll books may update voting process in county
- Inside|Out art spreads to Copley, West Akron
- Breaux promotes positive attitude on bench
- West Side News & Notes
- Love Akron Network Awards Breakfast focusing on civility
- Summit County officials train for emergencies
- Norton bans medical marijuana operations in city
- Humane Society has new Mobile Adoption Center
- Falls receives grant for preserve project
- Falls breaks ground for downtown revitalization
- City offering electronics recycling
- Falls cleanup May 1-12
- Trustees holding public hearings on fee
- Richfield approves resolutions on autism, intolerance
- Granger officials hear update on proposed conservancy district
- Kiwanis creates baskets for women’s shelter
- MCBDD suggests early detection key for autism
- Touch-A-Truck event offering close-up view
Calendar of Events
- University of Akron Choral Concert - 4/28/2017
- Astronomy Club of Akron: Daniel Rothstein on The Four Red Shifts - 4/28/2017
- Bluebell Valley Hike - 4/28/2017
- Rape Crisis Center of Medina & Summit Counties Walk of Heroes - 4/28/2017
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 4/29/2017