Copley looking for new bids for Community Center demolition
The Copley Township Board of Trustees agreed to reject all bids for the demolition of the Community Center, located at 1278 Sunset Drive, at the April 2 meeting.
Only one bid was received prior to that day’s deadline for submissions, and it will be remain sealed, according to Fiscal Officer Janice Marshall.
The specifications outlined in the call for bids were incorrect, and potential contractors were made aware of that, Marshall explained.
Trustees, therefore, will put out a new call for bids, with the correct specifications. This time, the proposed project details will include demolition of a pavilion and two storage sheds on the property, according to Service Director Mark Mitchell.
Razing the building and other structures will prepare the site for construction of the township’s new police facility.
Also at the meeting, trustees accepted about $14,954 in grant money from the Summit County Fiscal Office for the Moving Ohio Forward Demolition Grant Program to tear down and remove dilapidated buildings.
The township continues to use the grant funding to plug away at removing unsafe structures, as trustees approved a contract with Jim Gangle Bulldozing and Excavating Co. to demolish an abandoned home at 2463 Copley Road as part of the program. The job is expected to cost $6,990, according to Planning Director Matt Springer.
Also at the meeting, trustees discussed the upcoming auction of township property, set for April 17 in the Community Center, from 4 to 7 p.m. It has been 12 years since the township held an auction to sell its items determined to be unneeded, obsolete or unfit for use by the township, according to Mitchell. Public viewing of items to be auctioned off will begin at 1 p.m. on auction day.
The list of inventory that still is being gathered for the sale includes 2010 and 2011 Ford Crown Victoria police cars, as well as light bars with the blue lenses removed. Other items for sale include a walk-in freezer unit, several chandeliers and various pieces of office furniture, among other things, according to Mitchell.
Also, trustees agreed to allow members of the township’s historical society to sell concessions during the event.
In other business, trustees:
- agreed to hire two seasonal employees to flow and grease fire hydrants;
- approved entering into a contract with MedPro for medical waste disposal at both fire stations;
- updated an agreement for equipment and apparatus sharing among nearby fire departments to include Chippewa, Granger, Sharon and Wadsworth to the list of the Code 10 Westside Group. The group previously included Copley, Bath, Fairlawn, Norton, Richfield and the Valley Fire District, according to Benson; and
- approved a resolution requesting the Summit County Engineer’s Office prepare plans and specifications for repaving Sunset Drive, to be done once the new police station is built, said Mitchell.
The next Copley Board of Trustees meeting is set for April 16 at 6 p.m. at the Copley Township offices, located at 1540 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Amazing World of Bats - 10/21/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 10/22/2014
- Wine and Canvas Painting Class - 10/22/2014