Financial literacy classes offered
GREATER AKRON — The Summit County Office of Consumer Affairs is teaming up once again with partners and sponsors to recognize April as Financial Literacy Month. During this month, area residents are invited to attend one of more than 28 free events presenting information on a wide range of financial topics, such as consumer debt, home buying, improving credit scores, debt and collections, protecting identity, avoiding financial fraud and schemes, employment opportunities for seniors and veterans, and more.
The following is a list of local events, along with locations and phone numbers for registration, where required.
- Today, April 10:
√ Money Management and Financial Planning, 4 to 6 p.m. at the Veterans Service Commission (VSC), 1060 E. Waterloo Road in South Akron. To register, call 330-643-2879.
√ Financial Fitness, with East Akron Neighborhood Development (EANDC), 1046 S. Arlington St. in East Akron, 6 to 8 p.m. To register, call 330-724-0244.
- April 11: Financial Literacy Workshop, 1 to 2:30 p.m. at the OhioMeansJobs Center, E. Tallmadge Ave. in North Akron. To register, call 330-633-1050, option No. 2.
- April 12: Financial Management, with Mustard Seed Development Center, 1357 Home Ave. in North Akron, 9 to 11 a.m. To register, call 330 631-0350.
- April 14: Credit Happens, with partner Greenleaf Family Center, 580 Grant St. in Downtown Akron, 1 to 3 p.m. To register, call 330-376-9494, ext. 214.
- April 16:
√ Veteran Job & Career Fair, with VSC, 1 to 3 p.m. For details, call 330-643-7636.
√ Stow Consumer Debt Class, with Community Legal Aid Services, 4 p.m., at Cuyahoga Falls Library, 2015 Third St. To register, call 800-998-9454.
√ Money Management for Teens, with Youth Employment for Success (YES), 140 E. Market St. in Downtown Akron, 4 to 6 p.m. To register or for details, call 330-643-7886.
- April 17: Financial Fitness, with EANDC, 6 to 8 p.m. To register, call 330-724-0244.
- April 18: Akron Consumer Debt Class, with Community Legal Aid Services, 2:30 p.m., at Akron Municipal Court, 217 S. High St., ninth floor, in Downtown Akron. To register, call 800-998-9454.
- April 19: Financial Management, with Mustard Seed Development Center, 9 to 11 a.m. To register, call 330-631-0350.
- April 21:
√ Barberton Consumer Debt Clinic, with Community Legal Aid Services, 5:30 p.m. at Barberton Library, 602 W. Park Ave. To register, call 800-998-9454.
√ Marriage and Money, with Primerica, 7 to 8 p.m. at Primerica offices, 169 E. Turkeyfoot Lake Road in Green. To register or for questions, call 330-644-9910.
- April 24:
√ OPEN M Counsel and Advice Clinic, with Community Legal Aid Services, 5:30 p.m. at Open M, located at 941 Princeton St. in Downtown Akron. To register, call 800-998-9454.
√ Financial Fitness, with EANDC, 6 to 8 p.m. at EANDC offices. To register, call 330-724-0244.
- April 25: Financial Literacy Workshop, 1 to 2:30 p.m. at the OhioMeansJobs Center. To register call 330-633-1050, option No. 2.
- April 26:
√ Better Business Bureau (BBB) Secure Your ID Day, with Neoshred, 895 E. Tallmadge Ave. in North Akron, 9 a.m. to noon. Limit 10 boxes per person. For details, call Neoshred at 330-253-8260.
√ Financial Management, with Mustard Seed Development Center, 9 to 11 a.m. To register, call 330-631-0350.
- April 29: Pros and Cons of Reverse Mortgages, with Fair Housing Contact Service, for homeowners age 62 and older, 2 to 4 p.m., at Akron-Summit Library, 60 S. High St. in Downtown Akron. To register, call 330-376-6191.
More Community News
- Officials tell Akron Council Ebola risk low
- Fun treats found at Boo at the Zoo
- Health officials mobilize in wake of Ebola concerns
- Fairlawn officials still mulling rental property changes
- Charter change on ballot in Fairlawn
- Council hears reactions to five-year plan
- Norton approves resolutions thanking citizens for service
- Richfield trustees choose architect for service, administration center
- Trustees act on neighborhood traffic concerns
- Peninsula Council meets week after failing to make quorum
- Sharon trustees discuss solicitation incidents
- Bath trustees approve terminating agreement
- Burton D. Morgan Foundation extends support for entrepreneurship programs
- Fairlawn Heights neighbors host festival
- Sight-impaired children get tailored zoo experience
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore sets stricter open burning regs
- Coventry breaks ground on new school
- Officials defend Coventry’s open enrollment policy
- New Franklin Council appoints new clerk
- Officials tell Akron City Council Ebola risk low
- Council hears reactions to five-year plan
- Green YMCA displaying pumpkin contest entries
- Scouts host breakfast fundraiser
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 10/25/2014
- Easy Street Band - 10/25/2014
- PAWS for Reading with service dog Molly - 10/25/2014
- Identifying Your Family Photographs - 10/25/2014
- Norton Women’s Club Craft and Gift Show - 10/25/2014