Girls Scouts using grant for community service project
|Photo courtesy of Stephanie Reese|
The grant will support Reese and her friend, Merideth Vieson, as they work on a Girl Scout Silver Award project. They will lead a community service project for Global Youth Service Day (GYSD) April 12, the largest volunteering and service event in the world, according to GYSD officials.
Shown at right are Reese, at right, and Vieson, who are inviting fellow Girl Scouts to assist them in making fleece blankets on GYSD April 12 at 3:30 p.m. at Girl Scouts of North East Ohio’s Camp Ledgewood. The blankets, along with stuffed animals and dolls they plan to buy, will be donated to Haven of Rest Ministries’ Harvest Home. They also plan to make doll clothes and doll bunk beds in the next few months for the children.
According to GYSD officials, grants were awarded to children and teens to lead projects that make a positive lasting change in the world.
“This project will give residents at Harvest Home toys to play with and blankets to keep them warm,” said Reese. “Our project is important to us because we really care about people who are not as fortunate as us.”
According to GYSD officials, GYSD is celebrated in more than 135 countries and 50 U.S. states. Now in its 26th year, the event recognizes the positive impact that young people have on their communities 365 days a year.
“Rachel is a true Friend for Change,” said Steven Culbertson, president and CEO of YSA. “She is leading an amazing project to give toys and blankets to Haven of Rest. We are so proud of her great work and how it will help the community.”
More Community News
- Youth curfews in place for safety
- What’s curfew in your community?
- Good times roll at PorchRokr
- Bath police replacement levy before voters
- County Council removes ‘fair’ from ballot wording
- Granger cadet takes flight
- West Side News & Notes
- Essex blooms with community support
- Boston officials discuss issues with JEDD
- Scouts spruce up Norton Primary
- New recycling program successful in Sharon
Calendar of Events
- Taste It and Make It Food Preparation Series - 9/3/2015
- “The Divergent Series: Insurgent” - 9/3/2015
- Hooked on Books: “My Antonia” by Willa Cather - 9/3/2015
- Small Footprint: Getting Started - 9/3/2015
- Tai Chi and Self Defense - 9/4/2015