Girls Scouts using grant for community service project
|Photo courtesy of Stephanie Reese|
The grant will support Reese and her friend, Merideth Vieson, as they work on a Girl Scout Silver Award project. They will lead a community service project for Global Youth Service Day (GYSD) April 12, the largest volunteering and service event in the world, according to GYSD officials.
Shown at right are Reese, at right, and Vieson, who are inviting fellow Girl Scouts to assist them in making fleece blankets on GYSD April 12 at 3:30 p.m. at Girl Scouts of North East Ohio’s Camp Ledgewood. The blankets, along with stuffed animals and dolls they plan to buy, will be donated to Haven of Rest Ministries’ Harvest Home. They also plan to make doll clothes and doll bunk beds in the next few months for the children.
According to GYSD officials, grants were awarded to children and teens to lead projects that make a positive lasting change in the world.
“This project will give residents at Harvest Home toys to play with and blankets to keep them warm,” said Reese. “Our project is important to us because we really care about people who are not as fortunate as us.”
According to GYSD officials, GYSD is celebrated in more than 135 countries and 50 U.S. states. Now in its 26th year, the event recognizes the positive impact that young people have on their communities 365 days a year.
“Rachel is a true Friend for Change,” said Steven Culbertson, president and CEO of YSA. “She is leading an amazing project to give toys and blankets to Haven of Rest. We are so proud of her great work and how it will help the community.”
More Community News
- Council supports ‘Breaking Addiction Act’
- All’s fair at annual Summit County event
- Yellow Creek advocates explore conservancy idea
- Grandmother creates memorial for slain grandson
- Copley Heritage Day set for Aug. 2
- Falls Council continues to mull Menards deal
- Road construction begins on Hines Hill Road
- Granger Fire Department moving forward with grant proposal
- Sharon trustees approve fire levy for November ballot
- Medina County Fair offering variety of activities
- Akron Rotary inducts president
- Sno-cone sale benefits playground project
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Sweet Smell of Success” - 7/31/2014
- Voices in the Valley: Sarah Schaefer and Rebekah Jean - 7/31/2014
- Downtown@Dusk: JD Eicher & The Goodnights - 7/31/2014
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 7/31/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014