Falls Council OKs purchase for Electrical Department
Securing the future safety of city employees led Cuyahoga Falls City Council to OK a large purchase at the April 14 meeting.
With Council’s approval, the Electrical Department will receive a 7,500-pound trailer-mounted underground puller diesel engine with air compressor to use when repairing the city’s underground wiring.
Council unanimously agreed to purchase the $171,000 puller from Sherman and Reilly.
The Finance Committee met during the regular meeting to discuss the purchase with employees of the Electrical Department.
Among numerous benefits, Rod Troxell, department assistant superintendent, said the new puller would prevent injuries. He said the current machinery has resulted in a few accidents recently.
Department Superintendent Michael Dougherty told Council the purchase was not budgeted for this year, but the model just was made available and is a perfect fit for the city.
He explained there were two pullers available through Sherman and Reilly and since one sold quickly, the department decided to ask for approval to move on the machine.
Troxell said he checked out all the equipment options available through Sherman and Reilly in Chattanooga, Tenn., and this piece would work well on the city’s old infrastructure.
He said the new puller would keep the workers from having to pull wire by hand, which can snap and cause serious injuries.
“I really am pushing for this purchase,” Troxell said. “Bottom line, this will keep our guys safe.”
Before the vote was taken, he told Council the new puller would “last” and be able to be used during ongoing efforts to upgrade the system for the next 30 years.
Dougherty told Council the purchase would be funded through $400,000 budgeted to replace underground cable in 2014. He said less wire would be replaced this year than anticipated due to the purchase, but the upgraded puller would pay for itself over time.
Troxell said the new machine will be rolled out within a month and used on some current “problem” spots in the city.
In addition, during the regular meeting, Council approved the annual resurfacing plan for various city streets.
Council also introduced legislation:
- accepting the final plat of Phase 3 of the Boulder Estates Subdivision;
- accepting the Planning Commission’s approval, findings and conditions of the major site plan for the SGS Solid Carbide Tools End Mill Facility at 150 Marc Drive;
- approving a contract for the painting of the Bailey Road Water Tank;
- authorizing a settlement agreement in the case of Jeffrey White vs. the city of Cuyahoga Falls;
- authorizing a modification of a contract with Karvo Paving Co. Inc.; and
- making certain findings relative to the transfer of a type D-2 liquor permit to Riser Foods Co., doing business as Giant Eagle, 2687 State Road.
Council will hold committee meetings April 21 and a regular meeting April 28, both beginning at 6:30 p.m. at the Natatorium, 2345 Fourth St.
More Community News
- Akron Council raises campaign limits
- Animals in need find home at Forever Amber Acres
- Mustard Seed eyes May opening in Highland Square
- Reentry Network offers safety net for parolees
- West Side News & Notes
- Celebrate with religious sights, sounds
- Reentry Network announces 2015 programs
- Cub Scouts participate in ‘Operation Smile’
- Fairlawn officials remember former Council member
- OWRC installs 2015 officers
- Bath trustees reject fact-finder’s report
- Boston officials discuss new tax collection agency
- Sharon trustees revisit resurfacing agreement
- Hattie Larlham gets early Christmas gift
- Norton officers take part in Shop with a Cop
- Norton food drive to help families
- Lakemore Council bids farewell to solicitor
- Santas spreading holiday cheer with Kiwanis events
- Coventry still mulling Sheriff’s Office contract
- Coventry superintendent tackling negativity
- Green students give back to community
- Springfield trustees approve zoning change
- Akron raises campaign limits, OKs body camera trial
- Manchester senior earns Eagle Scout rank
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Crooked River Walk - 12/21/2014
- “A Christmas Carol” - 12/21/2014
- Winter White Out - 12/21/2014
- Puppet Show: Holiday Happenings - 12/21/2014
- Johnny and the Apple Stompers and Ed Caner - 12/21/2014