KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
KAB engaged citizens through a campaign contest in hopes of getting area residents to recognize that littering is a real problem but a preventable one.
While over 85 slogans were submitted, one caught the eye of Dyer, as he thought, “Nothing says Akron more than the blimp,” according to KAB officials. The slogan “Not looking up when the blimp flies over,” written by Sherryl Owen, of Cuyahoga Falls, is the winning slogan, shown above. Owen, who won a $100 American Express Gift Card for her entry, also has her billboard featured at different locations across the city.
KAB liked a second entry so much that it was decided there would be a second winner, with the slogan “Removing the marathon blue line,” written by Patti Howell, of West Akron. Howell also won a $100 American Express Gift Card for her entry, shown below.
Geared to young adults ages 18 to 34 — the target market that research shows is the most likely to litter — the campaign entertains in order to get people talking, according to KAB officials. The ultimate goal is to shine a spotlight on the thoughtlessness of the litterer, to induce a change in behavior and eventually lead to a cleaner, more beautiful community.
The Littering Is Wrong Too campaign made its debut in Akron with a series of five static billboards and two electronic billboards late last year. The contest winner’s billboards are being featured on Clear Channel billboards around the city during April, which is Clean up Akron Month.
|Photos courtesy of Keep Akron Beautiful|
More Community News
- Akron proposes city construction company
- Flowers herald coming spring
- County joining fight against mail sorting office closure
- Woodridge ‘big loser’ in proposed state budget
- New Revere superintendent ready for challenge
- West Side News & Notes
- Summit County marking 175 years
- Women’s Endowment Fund awards grants
- Presentation on student use of electronics planned
- Peninsula library offering March classes
- BVS hosting blood drive
- Bath OKs raise for park employees with additional training
- Boston facing salt shortage
- Altrusa International hosting prom dress event
- Wadsworth judge presents annual report
Calendar of Events
- Creative Writing for Homeschoolers - 3/5/2015
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra - 3/5/2015
- “The Boxtrolls” - 3/5/2015
- Paws and Prayers’ Paws Vegas - 3/6/2015
- Homeschoolers: Green Thumbs - 3/6/2015