KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
KAB engaged citizens through a campaign contest in hopes of getting area residents to recognize that littering is a real problem but a preventable one.
While over 85 slogans were submitted, one caught the eye of Dyer, as he thought, “Nothing says Akron more than the blimp,” according to KAB officials. The slogan “Not looking up when the blimp flies over,” written by Sherryl Owen, of Cuyahoga Falls, is the winning slogan, shown above. Owen, who won a $100 American Express Gift Card for her entry, also has her billboard featured at different locations across the city.
KAB liked a second entry so much that it was decided there would be a second winner, with the slogan “Removing the marathon blue line,” written by Patti Howell, of West Akron. Howell also won a $100 American Express Gift Card for her entry, shown below.
Geared to young adults ages 18 to 34 — the target market that research shows is the most likely to litter — the campaign entertains in order to get people talking, according to KAB officials. The ultimate goal is to shine a spotlight on the thoughtlessness of the litterer, to induce a change in behavior and eventually lead to a cleaner, more beautiful community.
The Littering Is Wrong Too campaign made its debut in Akron with a series of five static billboards and two electronic billboards late last year. The contest winner’s billboards are being featured on Clear Channel billboards around the city during April, which is Clean up Akron Month.
|Photos courtesy of Keep Akron Beautiful|
More Community News
- Wallhaven retail development on track
- Soap Box Derby champs get grand welcome
- County Council opposes proposal for redistricting
- Bath preparing for Community Day
- Copley Heritage Day celebration Aug. 1
- West Side News & Notes
- GAR Foundation awards grants
- Bath trustees approve police replacement levy for ballot
- Copley seeking single-hauler trash bids
- Blood donation sites
- Sharon trustees finalize fire levy plans
- Richfield trustees OK funds for building project
- Chief Saley resigns from Lakemore Fire
- New Franklin updating capital needs
- Coventry school board selects new district treasurer
- County Council opposes redistricting proposal
- Akron to present revised sewer plan to U.S. EPA
- City of Akron testing algae monitoring device
Calendar of Events
- GriefCare Place - 7/29/2015
- Pond Exploration for Kids - 7/29/2015
- Wanda Hunt Band - 7/29/2015
- Retirement Workshop - 7/29/2015
- Family Programming - 7/29/2015