KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
KAB engaged citizens through a campaign contest in hopes of getting area residents to recognize that littering is a real problem but a preventable one.
While over 85 slogans were submitted, one caught the eye of Dyer, as he thought, “Nothing says Akron more than the blimp,” according to KAB officials. The slogan “Not looking up when the blimp flies over,” written by Sherryl Owen, of Cuyahoga Falls, is the winning slogan, shown above. Owen, who won a $100 American Express Gift Card for her entry, also has her billboard featured at different locations across the city.
KAB liked a second entry so much that it was decided there would be a second winner, with the slogan “Removing the marathon blue line,” written by Patti Howell, of West Akron. Howell also won a $100 American Express Gift Card for her entry, shown below.
Geared to young adults ages 18 to 34 — the target market that research shows is the most likely to litter — the campaign entertains in order to get people talking, according to KAB officials. The ultimate goal is to shine a spotlight on the thoughtlessness of the litterer, to induce a change in behavior and eventually lead to a cleaner, more beautiful community.
The Littering Is Wrong Too campaign made its debut in Akron with a series of five static billboards and two electronic billboards late last year. The contest winner’s billboards are being featured on Clear Channel billboards around the city during April, which is Clean up Akron Month.
|Photos courtesy of Keep Akron Beautiful|
More Community News
- Moneypenny ready to take mayor’s seat
- Copley celebrates Memorial Day
- Founders’ Day will mark AA’s 80th year
- Shy shares credit for park district successes
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley asks Ohio Supreme Court to hear Rothrock appeal
- Historic designation sought for Keyser property
- Copley trustees approve building replacement
- Richfield police chief warns residents about burglars
- Richfield trustees discuss Crowell Hilaka property use
- Council reviews rebids for Central Park
- Green celebrates Memorial Day
- New Franklin sinks idea for Tudor House dock
- Green assistant fire chief retiring
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Kinderealm: Migration: for ages 3-6 - 5/29/2015
- Cuyahoga Valley Photographic Society - 5/29/2015
- Any Way You Want It with Broken Promise - 5/29/2015
- Full Moon Fever with Mo Mojo - 5/29/2015
- A New Adventure - 5/30/2015