KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
KAB engaged citizens through a campaign contest in hopes of getting area residents to recognize that littering is a real problem but a preventable one.
While over 85 slogans were submitted, one caught the eye of Dyer, as he thought, “Nothing says Akron more than the blimp,” according to KAB officials. The slogan “Not looking up when the blimp flies over,” written by Sherryl Owen, of Cuyahoga Falls, is the winning slogan, shown above. Owen, who won a $100 American Express Gift Card for her entry, also has her billboard featured at different locations across the city.
KAB liked a second entry so much that it was decided there would be a second winner, with the slogan “Removing the marathon blue line,” written by Patti Howell, of West Akron. Howell also won a $100 American Express Gift Card for her entry, shown below.
Geared to young adults ages 18 to 34 — the target market that research shows is the most likely to litter — the campaign entertains in order to get people talking, according to KAB officials. The ultimate goal is to shine a spotlight on the thoughtlessness of the litterer, to induce a change in behavior and eventually lead to a cleaner, more beautiful community.
The Littering Is Wrong Too campaign made its debut in Akron with a series of five static billboards and two electronic billboards late last year. The contest winner’s billboards are being featured on Clear Channel billboards around the city during April, which is Clean up Akron Month.
|Photos courtesy of Keep Akron Beautiful|
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014
- “Shout! The Mod Musical” - 8/2/2014