Blue herons prepare for new arrivals
According to information provided by Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP), female blue herons lay three to seven eggs, with both parents helping to incubate them for about a month. Hatching generally occurs in late April or early May, and the young herons fledge after 56 to 60 days, usually by early July.
Early March to early April is the best time to observe these large birds building their nests or revamping nests from previous years, according to CVNP. The Heronry is located on Bath Road between Riverview and Akron-Peninsula roads.
Shown above and below are photos taken by Fairlawn resident Dave Miles of blue herons tending to nests at the Bath Road Heronry April 6.
Metro Parks, Serving Summit County will offer a Heron Watch program May 11 at 1 p.m. at the Heronry. Area residents are invited to join naturalists to celebrate Mother’s Day by observing herons and their young through binoculars and spotting scopes.
For more information on great blue herons, visit the National Park Services’ CVNP website at www.nps.gov/cuva/naturescience/greatblueherons.htm.
|Photos courtesy of Dave Miles|
More Community News
- State Route 18 projects to begin in summer
- Copley’s Winterfest puts fun on ice
- APS exploring funds for waiting building projects
- Richfield Council delays water tower vote
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council committee chairs questioned
- Akron City Council evaluates capital budget
- Fairlawn mayor calls city’s financial condition ‘sound’
- Norton looking to sink sewer costs
- Falls Council reappoints member to library board
- Bath trustees approve sale of fire department vehicle
- Peninsula Council on third try makes quorum for meeting
- Copley exploring contract with single trash hauler
- Richfield trustees approve fire/EMS contract
- Granger trustees hear presentation on fire prevention
- County Council opposing pipeline
- Cub Scouts get creative for Chariot Races
- Coventry goes with reduced ballot issue
- Norton gives final State of the City address
- Council considers Tudor House addition
- Springfield trustees approve application for Spartan Trail
- Local blood drives
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Artsmash - 1/30/2015
- Drop-In Exercise - 1/30/2015
- Animal Tales - 1/30/2015
- Voices in the Valley: David Mayfield Bluegrass Parade - 1/30/2015
- A New Beginning - 1/31/2015