Blue herons prepare for new arrivals
According to information provided by Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP), female blue herons lay three to seven eggs, with both parents helping to incubate them for about a month. Hatching generally occurs in late April or early May, and the young herons fledge after 56 to 60 days, usually by early July.
Early March to early April is the best time to observe these large birds building their nests or revamping nests from previous years, according to CVNP. The Heronry is located on Bath Road between Riverview and Akron-Peninsula roads.
Shown above and below are photos taken by Fairlawn resident Dave Miles of blue herons tending to nests at the Bath Road Heronry April 6.
Metro Parks, Serving Summit County will offer a Heron Watch program May 11 at 1 p.m. at the Heronry. Area residents are invited to join naturalists to celebrate Mother’s Day by observing herons and their young through binoculars and spotting scopes.
For more information on great blue herons, visit the National Park Services’ CVNP website at www.nps.gov/cuva/naturescience/greatblueherons.htm.
|Photos courtesy of Dave Miles|
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014