Blue herons prepare for new arrivals
According to information provided by Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP), female blue herons lay three to seven eggs, with both parents helping to incubate them for about a month. Hatching generally occurs in late April or early May, and the young herons fledge after 56 to 60 days, usually by early July.
Early March to early April is the best time to observe these large birds building their nests or revamping nests from previous years, according to CVNP. The Heronry is located on Bath Road between Riverview and Akron-Peninsula roads.
Shown above and below are photos taken by Fairlawn resident Dave Miles of blue herons tending to nests at the Bath Road Heronry April 6.
Metro Parks, Serving Summit County will offer a Heron Watch program May 11 at 1 p.m. at the Heronry. Area residents are invited to join naturalists to celebrate Mother’s Day by observing herons and their young through binoculars and spotting scopes.
For more information on great blue herons, visit the National Park Services’ CVNP website at www.nps.gov/cuva/naturescience/greatblueherons.htm.
|Photos courtesy of Dave Miles|
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Glass Fusing with Marianne Hite - 12/7/2016
- Weekday Walkers - 12/7/2016
- Christmas Cards Workshop - 12/7/2016
- “Once” - 12/7/2016
- Story Time - 12/7/2016