Blue herons prepare for new arrivals
According to information provided by Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP), female blue herons lay three to seven eggs, with both parents helping to incubate them for about a month. Hatching generally occurs in late April or early May, and the young herons fledge after 56 to 60 days, usually by early July.
Early March to early April is the best time to observe these large birds building their nests or revamping nests from previous years, according to CVNP. The Heronry is located on Bath Road between Riverview and Akron-Peninsula roads.
Shown above and below are photos taken by Fairlawn resident Dave Miles of blue herons tending to nests at the Bath Road Heronry April 6.
Metro Parks, Serving Summit County will offer a Heron Watch program May 11 at 1 p.m. at the Heronry. Area residents are invited to join naturalists to celebrate Mother’s Day by observing herons and their young through binoculars and spotting scopes.
For more information on great blue herons, visit the National Park Services’ CVNP website at www.nps.gov/cuva/naturescience/greatblueherons.htm.
|Photos courtesy of Dave Miles|
More Community News
- Minus kitchen, shelter will feed residents
- Revere students schooled on financial literacy
- Travel expenses spur Akron City Council discussion
- Copley survey results to guide development
- West Side News & Notes
- Norton celebrates upgraded bond rating
- Four to seek vacant Norton City Council seat
- Sharon Post Office to host Passport Fair
- Council delays vote on repairs to downtown decks
- Peninsula Council honors resident
- Boston trustees discuss new speed limit law
- Council considers rezoning request on West Streetsboro Road
- Trustees OK agreement for Southern Road property
- Granger property owner addresses BZA ruling
- Police seeking help with burglaries
- Green Middle School assisting students in need
- Coventry district presents report on open enrollment
- Coventry closes door to new gaming establishments
- South Side News & Notes
- Even without kitchen, shelter will feed residents
Calendar of Events
- Verb Ballets: “Works Reimagined: Continuing the Legacy of Heinz Poll”; “Carnival of the Animals” - 2/19/2017
- Akron Baroque and Singers Companye - 2/19/2017
- Pinterest Projects: Succulents - 2/19/2017
- “Pete’s Dragon” - 2/20/2017
- Friends of the Maltz Museum’s Presidents’ Day Celebration - 2/20/2017