Blue herons prepare for new arrivals
According to information provided by Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP), female blue herons lay three to seven eggs, with both parents helping to incubate them for about a month. Hatching generally occurs in late April or early May, and the young herons fledge after 56 to 60 days, usually by early July.
Early March to early April is the best time to observe these large birds building their nests or revamping nests from previous years, according to CVNP. The Heronry is located on Bath Road between Riverview and Akron-Peninsula roads.
Shown above and below are photos taken by Fairlawn resident Dave Miles of blue herons tending to nests at the Bath Road Heronry April 6.
Metro Parks, Serving Summit County will offer a Heron Watch program May 11 at 1 p.m. at the Heronry. Area residents are invited to join naturalists to celebrate Mother’s Day by observing herons and their young through binoculars and spotting scopes.
For more information on great blue herons, visit the National Park Services’ CVNP website at www.nps.gov/cuva/naturescience/greatblueherons.htm.
|Photos courtesy of Dave Miles|
More Community News
- Mock crash reminds students of risks
- Akron rolls out medical marijuana plan
- Akron Council, BOE delve into issues
- Author ties together causes of opiate epidemic
- Yellow Creek watershed advocates move forward
- West Side News & Notes
- Area Girl Scouts take part in World Thinking Day
- LeBron James announces plan for new Akron school
- Summit first autism-friendly county in Ohio
- Boston BZA fees going up
- BCF launches fundraiser
- Council chambers receives electronic upgrades
- Bath trustees authorize new parking lot design
- Library levy before Medina County voters
- Sharon officials discuss spring projects
- Bright ‘Roland’ back at library
- Venturing Crew clears trail preserve
- Lakemore gearing up for police department
- Author ties together causes of opiate problem
- Coventry Schools levy renewal ‘crucial’ for district
- Township officials addressing opiate epidemic
- Coventry fire department utilizing grant money
- South Side News & Notes
- Springfield trustees move to demolish garage
Calendar of Events
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 4/24/2017
- The Art of Journaling; Men Facing Grief Support Group - 4/24/2017
- Fiction Book Club: “Truly Madly Guilty” - 4/25/2017
- Yoga for Homeschoolers: ages 8-12 - 4/25/2017
- PiYo with Morgan Webb - 4/25/2017