Peninsula Council approves agricultural district renewal
Following a public hearing April 14, Peninsula Village Council unanimously approved renewing an application for land in an agricultural district located at 6050 Riverview Road.
Landowners must apply to renew their status in an agricultural district every five years, according to Fiscal Officer John Stiegel.
Being located in an agricultural district can help protect farmers from use of eminent domain powers of government, nuisance lawsuits and new water, sewer and electrical assessments, according to Ohio Revised Code.
Also, after approving pay scales for part-time and auxiliary police officers at last month’s meeting, Council discussed establishing pay scales for the village’s full-time police officers, but no decision was made.
A special committee convened April 21 to continue discussions on that topic. They are scheduled to meet again May 7 at 5 p.m. prior to making any recommendation to Council as a whole, Stiegel said.
In other business, Council discussed Solicitor Constance Hesske’s suggestion that members consider conducting regular meetings twice a month, as many other municipalities do. Currently, Peninsula Village Council meets for its regular meetings on the second Monday of each month and schedules special meetings as needed.
Also at the meeting, Council heard the Peninsula Area Chamber of Commerce is putting in a new kiosk offering information for visitors, located near the Trail Mix store, Stiegel said.
Peninsula Village Council’s next regular meeting is set for May 12 at 7 p.m. in the second-floor Council room of Peninsula Village Hall, located at the corner of state Route 303 and Akron-Peninsula Road.
More Community News
- Youth curfews in place for safety
- What’s curfew in your community?
- Good times roll at PorchRokr
- Bath police replacement levy before voters
- County Council removes ‘fair’ from ballot wording
- Granger cadet takes flight
- West Side News & Notes
- Essex blooms with community support
- Boston officials discuss issues with JEDD
- Scouts spruce up Norton Primary
- New recycling program successful in Sharon
Calendar of Events
- Tai Chi and Self Defense - 9/4/2015
- Lil’ Sprouts: age 3 and up - 9/4/2015
- The Machine with The Moxies - 9/4/2015
- Peninsula Flea - 9/5/2015
- History Hike - 9/5/2015