Dates set for annual Richfield community celebration
Richfield Village Council President Rick Hudak announced the dates for the annual Community Day celebration at the April 15 Council meeting.
The annual weekend starts with a parade and ends with a community celebration, with most activities taking place at Richfield Woods Park, 4100 Broadview Road. The parade will take place Aug. 8 at 6:30 p.m. and will proceed from the Richfield Elementary School parking lot to Richfield Woods Park.
The annual Sons of Amvets and Masons Steak Fry is scheduled for Aug. 9. Proceeds from the fry will go toward scholarships for Revere High School students.
The Explorer Pancake Breakfast and Safety Forces Open House also will be that day.
The main Community Day, sponsored by the Bath-Richfield Kiwanis, will take place Aug. 10.
Other summer events will include a circus in Richfield July 26 and the Eddy’s Bike Shop Sweet Corn Ride, which will include biking and hiking this year, July 27.
Also at the meeting, Council:
√ narrowly defeated a resolution to purchase a fire rescue pumper from Pierce Manufacturing at a cost of $563,542. There was no discussion on the purchase.
Council members James Kahoe, Barbara Lanford, Mike Lyons and Mike Wheeler voted against the purchase, while Roger Swan, Andy Ellis and Hudak voted for it;
√ agreed to update its database of traffic and general offenses;
√ authorized the purchase of a new three-ton 2015 International dump truck from Rush Enterprises Inc. for $152,268;
√ approved the purchase of a new Walker Mower tractor from Emmett Equipment Co. for $16,313. Council declared some of its mowing and edging equipment to be surplus property so it can be sold to offset some of the cost;
√ approved the expenditure of $6,992 to Wadsworth Service Northwest for a chiller replacement system for the air conditioner in the safety building;
√ accepted bids for the 2014 construction season from Shelly Materials Inc. (limestone), Jefferson Materials Inc. (sand), Allied Corp. Inc. (asphalt), DJL Material & Supply Inc. (asphalt sealant) and Discount Drainage Supplies Inc. (drainage pipe and materials);
√ approved an agreement to work with Simple Recycling on the recycling of textiles and other soft household materials; and
√ passed a resolution to purchase a ShoreTel telephone system and related services form Windstream Communications for $75,000.
In other news:
- Mayor Bobbie Beshara reported she made good connections with construction companies at a recent Brownfield conference in Columbus.
She also said she will meet with the Western Reserve Land Conservancy about the future of the Crowell/Hilaka Girl Scout Camp property in Richfield.
- Fire Chief Jason Mihalek reported some department members were at a conference in Indianapolis to learn new standards to teach to the rest of the Richfield staff.
- Recreation Director Ruth Jocek said the Easter Egg Hunt April 12 was over in 90 seconds.
“It was slower than last year,” she said. “It was excellent. We had nice weather.”
- Finance Director Sandy Turk reported March income tax receipts came in 7.7 percent higher than last year. For the year to date, tax receipts are up 4.2 percent.
- Service Director Melanie Baker reported the village applied for a $150,000 grant from the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency. The money would be used for the first phase of the Village Green parking lot restoration and storm water management system.
- Planning and Zoning Director Brian Frantz reported he and Beshara attended a meeting to begin the final phase of the environmental assessment of the Soni property on Congress Parkway.
- Wheeler reported the Park Board discussed the results of the recreation center survey. He said he and Lanford asked the Park Board for concrete details about the proposed center’s size and cost.
- Hudak reported Council’s Finance and Safety committees will have a combined meeting April 29 at 6:30 p.m. at Town Hall, 4410 W. Streetsboro Road.
- Lyons thanked Cassandra Campbell, who was in attendance, for her work as Council clerk and wished her well at her new full-time job. Rebecca Garner is the new Council clerk.
- Assistant Fire Chief Phil McLean reported the Richfield Family Restaurant has closed its doors.
- Kelly Clark and Susan Loughry, of the Richfield Historical Society, spoke against the idea of removing the Knopp House, 4608 W. Streetsboro Road, from the center of town.
“The character of the center of town has been suffering a slow death for years,” Clark said. “We need to take responsibility for the preservation of historic buildings before all we have are pictures.”
Earlier this month, Council considered a resolution to declare the Knopp House to be surplus property and to be sold through competitive bids. Council decided to refer the resolution to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Council will have a public hearing May 20 at 7:45 p.m. before the Council meeting on a proposal that would eliminate use variances from the zoning code.
The next regular Richfield Village Council meeting is scheduled for May 6 at 8 p.m. at Town Hall, 4410 W. Streetsboro Road.
More Community News
- School options presented at joint meeting
- Fans celebrate Cavs’ NBA championship
- Akron police planning for RNC
- Highland Square resident to serve as RNC delegate
- Celebrations mark Independence Day
- West Side News & Notes
- County inmates still staying elsewhere
- Fairlawn extends deadline for flood assistance program
- Copley shed to house portable toilet
- Copley ‘All In’ for Cavs’ championship game
- Bath trustees withdraw road levy from November ballot
- Sharon residents warned about skimmers at gas pumps
- City getting tough on zoning infractions
- Trustees defer decision on school
- Coventry BOE says ‘no’ to new tax levy
- School building options presented at joint meeting
- South Side News & Notes
- Mayor showcases village to investors
- Akron police planning for RNC
- County nearly ready for old Edwin Shaw demolition
- Eagles donates to K-9 program
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 6/25/2016
- Buckeye Martinfest - 6/25/2016
- Downton Bath 1900-1950 - 6/25/2016
- Jackson Browne - 6/25/2016
- Tony! Toni! Toné! with Rumpelstiltskin - 6/25/2016