Norton Council agrees to lease vehicle
After some discussion, Norton City Council members unanimously agreed during the April 28 meeting to lease a vehicle for the Service Department.
Before the vote, Council Vice President Charlotte Whipkey (at large) told Council members the Service Department has been in desperate need of a new vehicle for several years now, and due to a recent fire destroying a truck, the need has become even greater.
Whipkey said the city has the opportunity to purchase or lease an almost new demonstration truck for the Service Department at a good value.
The purchase price would be about $131,000, according to Finance Director Laura Starosta.
Superintendent of Public Service Ernie Reynolds was also at the meeting to give his opinion on the vehicle, as well as to answer any questions. Reynolds said the vehicle is exactly what the city needs, it is built right, has very few miles on it, would actually be less expensive than a vehicle bought several years ago because it is a demonstration vehicle, and, most importantly, it is ready to go now. Some demonstration vehicles can take up to 18 months to be completed, he said.
Council had three different options for the vehicle — they could pay cash outright, lease it for four years or lease it for five years.
Whipkey said she was more comfortable with a lease than purchasing with cash because it is still early in the year, and she wanted to make sure there was still money in the budget if other emergencies arose throughout that time.
Councilman Dennis Pierson (Ward 3) said he supported the purchase of the vehicle but felt that paying cash outright was a better option so the city could save the money it would end up paying in interest.
Council decided to lease the vehicle for four years.
In other business, Council unanimously approved:
- a resolution confirming the appointment of Miriam Norris to a three-year term as an at-large/alternate representative on the Board of Zoning and Appeals;
- a resolution confirming the appointment of Marion Peterson to a three-year term as a Ward 2 representative on the Planning Commission;
- a resolution confirming the appointment of Nick Genis to a three-year term as a Ward 4 representative on the Board of Zoning and Appeals;
- an ordinance authorizing the administrative officer to execute and deliver a memorandum of agreement with the Summit Soil and Water Conservation District; and
- an ordinance authorizing the administrative officer to execute and deliver an agreement with Great Lakes Recycling Inc., doing business as Simple Recycling, for the collection and recycling of soft recyclables.
Council next will meet for its regular meeting May 12 at 7 p.m. in Council Chambers at the Safety-Administration Building, located at 4060 Columbia Woods Drive. The May 5 work session has been canceled.
More Community News
- Akron to raise rental registration fee
- Jolly fun had at Christmas Jingle
- Residents seek to form watershed conservancy
- Grant puts road widening closer to reality
- Local Boy Scouts go on summer ‘high adventure trek’
- West Side News & Notes
- Millennium Fund awards grants
- Blood donation opportunities
- Tucker named new Akron fire chief
- CSO project underway this week
- Campaign provides light for end-of-life patients, remembers those who have died
- Free fire alarms, installation available from Red Cross
- County Council looking at cost of medicine at jail
- Burton D. Morgan Foundation grants awarded
- Fairlawn Holiday Lighting Contest to be judged Dec. 13
- Bath trustees considering proposal for observatory
- Richfield looking to bring back winter festival
- Richfield Village receives covenant not to sue under Ohio EPA Voluntary Action Program
- Granger trustees discuss cemetery, zoning fees
- Scout siblings earn awards
- Green Council considers budget
- Coventry sparkles with new holiday event
- Village studying marijuana business issue
- Fill-A-Cruiser events making holidays merrier
- South Side News & Notes
- DAR Chapter honors veterans
- Akron to raise rental registration fee
Calendar of Events
- Ballroom Dancing - 12/11/2016
- Crafty Mart Presents Cottage Mart - 12/11/2016
- “Jason Bourne”; “The Secret Life of Pets” - 12/11/2016
- BassoonaRoo - 12/11/2016
- Parish Arts Concert Series: Master Singers Chorale - 12/11/2016